Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I am posting in the right place, but I had a question that I never really thought about before and was just curious of the answer. In the Ol' Days, what made dog matches official? Did they have to send in records of what happened to a certain organization? Was it the amount of attention a match recieved? Or, was it simply just decided official amoung the people there?
This is just a part of the old sport I've never heard anything about.

Thanx for any help.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
depends on how far back you go,from some of the earliest times the police had a gazette and had matches etc in it

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Back in the 1890's it was an actual sport. There was a "professional" aspect and ofcourse an underground side. Similar to cage fighting today. It included a referee The UKC stepped in and in an attempt to "preserve the breed" actually made rules for the pit and put them on the books and I think that's where these dogs got its "official name of APBT" it wasn't until 1976 where it became illegal in the US. I'm not sure where the "cajun rules" came in but yeah...hopefully that answers some of your question.

**this post is strictly for historical purposes and I do not condone dog matches**

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, all your Ch. and Gr Ch. were in the professional aspect? Or did the underground underdogs make their own fame amoung the locals?

**this post is strictly for historical purposes and I do not condone dog matches**

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
ch is 3 wins and gr ch is 5. matches were reported to different places throughout history-UKC, different magazines etc. they also kept track of the ROM list.

i want to point out that knowing things like this doesnt imply youre a fighter. i know about slavery too and none of my "people" were here for it yet.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that, it's just for safety incase someone were to try and start something. This would be easier to explain in hypothetical situations, but that'd be risky. lol But like for instance...

Say "Little Johnny" had a dog that showed promising characteristics, how would he get him to a Ch. status. Like how would he even know where to start looking? I mean back when it was legal, it wasn't like he'd have to be sneaky or anything..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yah its actually crazy how some dog registries used to be heavily involved in fighting dogs and keeping records and actually promoting it!

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
It was an actual sport back then with refs and rules.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts