Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I am new to this site and this is my first post ever on this site so bear with me :). I am quite excited in being here because it seems like a site that is helpful with information on pitbulls. Anyways I was curious to know where the best place for a bitch to give birth was and I do have a reason for asking. Basically a friend of mine has a pit cross who got pregnant and there isn't much room at her place for the bitch to give birth. So the studs owners offered for her to have the pups at there place where there is more then enough room to have pups. They have a heated outhouse where their rotti use to sleep in with a whelping box, their vet lives close by and would be able to make house call when she is ready to give birth. It sounds like a perfect situation for her to give birth but our question is would it be to stressful for her to give birth away from her actual home? We were thinking if she wasn't in her comfort place she might do something to some or all of her pups. If you are able to give me any advise on this situation so I can pass on to my friend that would be greatly appreciated cuz she is also Shorty's (my pits name) best friend and I've taken care of her plenty of times.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I think if your friends don't have a spot, you should take up the guy's offer. She should have a quiet and private place, and she should be taken there before she is due to give birth so she can get used to it. You want her as calm as possible. And please, please talk to your friend about getting her spayed. They bred a "pit cross," and use of the term "stud owner" makes it sound like it was deliberate. There's no reason for breeding like that. Its frankly not a responsible thing to do. If she isn't far along, it might be preferable to just spay her now and avoid the whole thing.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Lots of good info here. People tend to be wary of casual breeding, so you may get more information than you bargained for. But take it in the manner that its intended. Most people here love these dogs and want to see them propagated for the right reasons, and far too many simply breed them to breed them. Stick around and hopefully we can pass on helpful tips and information to you and your friend. :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I think if your friends don't have a spot, you should take up the guy's offer. She should have a quiet and private place, and she should be taken there before she is due to give birth so she can get used to it. You want her as calm as possible. And please, please talk to your friend about getting her spayed. They bred a "pit cross," and use of the term "stud owner" makes it sound like it was deliberate. There's no reason for breeding like that. Its frankly not a responsible thing to do. If she isn't far along, it might be preferable to just spay her now and avoid the whole thing.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. Lots of good info here. People tend to be wary of casual breeding, so you may get more information than you bargained for. But take it in the manner that its intended. Most people here love these dogs and want to see them propagated for the right reasons, and far too many simply breed them to breed them. Stick around and hopefully we can pass on helpful tips and information to you and your friend. :)
:goodpost:

Good info there on what mom need to have those pups, but hopefully you take the part in bold very seriously.

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
have to agree with bahamutt best to spay the bitch, and it does sound like your friend is deliberately breeding mutts. i think the only time a breed should be crossed is when they have a purpose for working and adding to a breed that is substantially lacking in the areas your looking for.

probably best to take it to the heated outhouse.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Id take her atleast a couple weeks before she is due as they can have them early and best to be prepared, let her get used to the place and the stud owners so she feels comfortable, 1st couple times there they may just want to make it a "visit" so she can get the scents and used to the area before just being left there.
When she has the pups she can get very stressed and agitated may help if once her temp drops that her actual owners are there . Idont know the situation there and how well they all know eachother but if it were my dog I would set up a cot in the heated out house and stay the night with her once the temp drops ,and once the pups are born prob for a couple nights. Having her owner there might make her a little more comfortable. I know my girl didnt like other people around the pups that 1st week even people she sees weekly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the misunderstanding but the pregnancy wasn't deliberate and she actually didn't realize that her bitch was in heat when the dogs were alone together. When I refer to the male as a stud I thought that was what they call the father of the litter so my apologies for the misinterpretation but this wasn't planned and my friend doesn't believe in taking a life for no reason. She just wants her bitch to live a long, happy, healthy, and comfortable life because the first 2 years of her life she was neglected, abused, and kept tied up. She was a rescued dog who my friend fell in love with the first time she saw her so she adopted her almost 2 years ago. I feel for her cuz she is so timid if she doesn't know who you are but if she gets to know you she has such a funny personality and that is why I am trying to figure out the most comfortable situation for when she gives birth. Besides that the information you have given me is much appreciated and I am hopeful that she will give birth to healthy pups comfortably.

This is way off topic but I was having problems uploading pictures so could anyone maybe tell me what I might be doing wrong please and thank you again.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
I'm sorry but that sounds a bit odd. She had to have known both dogs were not S/N,and she left them alone together. I would suggest AFTER having the pups,she spays her dog,so there are no more "oops litters"

As for the rescue, I do not know of ANY rescue that would give a unaltered dog to anyone.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I'm sorry but that sounds a bit odd. She had to have known both dogs were not S/N,and she left them alone together. I would suggest AFTER having the pups,she spays her dog,so there are no more "oops litters"

As for the rescue, I do not know of ANY rescue that would give a unaltered dog to anyone.
You have no idea what different rescues are like around the world.Some down here in the south do not alter pets before rehoming them either.They take in any stray pet and offer them to a new home for $10.Is that right,no.But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Accidents do happen sometimes,not everybody is trying to breed their pets.He came here to get advice for his friend.Just because you may not agree with what happened or how it happened doesn't mean you need to jump down his throat and scare away a potential good member.Who knows maybe if he has a good experience on here he may invite his friend to come over and get more educated.Wouldn't that be great?!So please sometimes it's best to just keep some feelings to oneself.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
To the OP,I would definitely tell your friend that she should get her dog spayed after she has the pups,since she's so against aborting and spaying now.And all the pups need to be spayed/neutered before going into their new home.There are already so many pets that are PTS daily,I'm sure she wouldn't want to add to the population more than she has.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To tell you the truth I do not have to explain myself to anyone cuz I know whats going on and that is all that matters. Unfortunlately people can take things a certain way and it can hit them the wrong way but the end results are normally the same for everyone. I know the situation of our pits being descriminated cuz I have one myself and when we walk through the park everyday it's funny to see people grab their dogs and keep them close as we walk by them. So I am not trying to over populate this breed for my personal gain or add to their already bad rep and my friend had no idea about a dogs heat cycle. So she left her bitch with our friend (who owns the father or stud) so the 2 dogs can play not knowing she was in heat and when they went to check up on the dogs they found them tied together. As for the adoption thing I must apologize again for the misunderstanding cuz if she adopted her bitch from a rescue center or SPCA they normally would spay the bitch before giving them to their new owners. So she didn't rescue her from a rescue center, she actually got it from an old neighbor that took her in from drug dealers who abandon a house and her chained up in the back yard with no food or water. They were going to give her to SPCA but she asked if she could keep her cuz she fell in love with her the first time they saw each other. Now I do not mind explaining myself so if there are any more concerns about my so called fishy story then please do ask me. With that being said Xiahko I hope this answers your concerns about my fishy story cuz there isn't anything fishy going on here and trust me...in the end we are just want the best for our dogs. Oh ya as for the bitch being spayed, already going to happen after the pups are born.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
She could bring them in and get her spayed right now. The bitch could die during her delivery and that would be a taking a life for no reason as well. Spaying now saves tons of aggravation and doesn't contribute to overpopulating a breed that is already over populated especially since they will not be papered or even a "designer" breed. If she is going to spay, I would do it now while she can and spare the potential loss later. You never know how many of the pups might be PTS in their lifetime or how many more litters those unpapered mutts might be produced from this accidental breeding, try and responsibly end it now before they have a chance to be abused by others in the future or worse.

I also worry why YOU are the concerned one and your friend is not trying to find out answers for her own dog. I think its great to rescue, but rescuing and accidentally getting the rescue pregnant is counterproductive and makes no sense at all.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Shorty247, were are you located? If you are willing after your friends dog welps the pups I can see if thete are any programs that will help with getting the mot her dog and pups fixed.

Reactions: Sadie

·
Registered
614 Posts
She could bring them in and get her spayed right now. The bitch could die during her delivery and that would be a taking a life for no reason as well. Spaying now saves tons of aggravation and doesn't contribute to overpopulating a breed that is already over populated especially since they will not be papered or even a "designer" breed. If she is going to spay, I would do it now while she can and spare the potential loss later. You never know how many of the pups might be PTS in their lifetime or how many more litters those unpapered mutts might be produced from this accidental breeding, try and responsibly end it now before they have a chance to be abused by others in the future or worse.

I also worry why YOU are the concerned one and your friend is not trying to find out answers for her own dog. I think its great to rescue, but rescuing and accidentally getting the rescue pregnant is counterproductive and makes no sense at all.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Before I continue explaining this situation I want to say I understand everyone's concerns about this situation and I appreciate all the advise given to me. Now for Aireal...I am located in Vancouver Canada so if you could help with finding a place that can spay all the pups that would be truly appreciated. Ames...wouldn't that kill the pups to spay her now? Also my friend doesn't know much about being a dog owner and wouldn't really know where to start finding answers for this so me being a good friend offered to find this out for her. That's what friends are for aren't they? All I need help with is if the bitch/mutt were to give birth in the outhouse of the father/studs owners and not at home would she be able to feel comfortable and give birth with no stress related accidents? I do believe that I got the answer I needed to make this situation as good as it can get and other helpful information but this site is pretty harsh with the accusations. We understand this was due to her irresponsibility of taking on the responsibility of caring for a dog but there is nothing she can do to change the situation (unless someone knows how to travel back in time to undo this) so we are trying to make this bad situation as good as we can make it. Everyone has to learn how to do something like caring for a dog and unfortunately she is learning the trial and error way but she has learned her lesson and I know she wont let this happen again. I am trying to act as responsible as I can about this situation and I guess I am teaching/passing on the information to my friend and she is taking everything all the information to heart so if I sound like I am being defensive that is not the case I just feel a lot of heat for trying to do what is right.

·
3,272 Posts
Ok let me talk to some people ill pm when I fimd something, also I believe a few people have agreed it sounds like.the male dogs owners offer may be best because she needs her own space and the vet on call is important. Good luck ill be in touch

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Ok let me talk to some people ill pm when I fimd something, also I believe a few people have agreed it sounds like.the male dogs owners offer may be best because she needs her own space and the vet on call is important. Good luck ill be in touch
:goodpost: good job Aireal! I agree that the male dogs owners offer does sound like the best bet.Like others have said introduce her to the space a few times before she's ready to give birth.Let her spend some time in there.Make sure everything is clean for her for when she's ready.Have the vet on call should something go wrong.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
Hi all...I am new to this site and this is my first post ever on this site so bear with me :). I am quite excited in being here because it seems like a site that is helpful with information on pitbulls. Anyways I was curious to know where the best place for a bitch to give birth was and I do have a reason for asking. Basically a friend of mine has a pit cross who got pregnant and there isn't much room at her place for the bitch to give birth. So the studs owners offered for her to have the pups at there place where there is more then enough room to have pups. They have a heated outhouse where their rotti use to sleep in with a whelping box, their vet lives close by and would be able to make house call when she is ready to give birth. It sounds like a perfect situation for her to give birth but our question is would it be to stressful for her to give birth away from her actual home? We were thinking if she wasn't in her comfort place she might do something to some or all of her pups. If you are able to give me any advise on this situation so I can pass on to my friend that would be greatly appreciated cuz she is also Shorty's (my pits name) best friend and I've taken care of her plenty of times.
at first you make it sound like an accident, then you call the other dog "the stud" .. did they purposefully breed a mutt??

·
3,272 Posts
at first you make it sound like an accident, then you call the other dog "the stud" .. did they purposefully breed a mutt??
No offense to the op but I think he is simply trying to sound legit no quit understanding the terminology he using, sounds like an opps litter if you read the other post

1 - 20 of 33 Posts