Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If/when I decide to get a new pup in my life, what do I look for when I am "inspecting" the little guy at said purchase? I mean I know what to look for emotionally, but what do all of you fellow pit bull lovers look for structurally, appearance-wise, etc. I mean I'm not going to just grab up the cutest one, because I don't want to buy with my heart but rather my head. It's been over a decade since I've had a pup in the household and I am afraid I'm a little rusty. I do remember that a crook in the tail could indicate a spinal vertebra situation. This is the type of suggestions I'm looking for:) Thank you very much!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
A kink tail is a huge obvious. Any breeder selling a dog or puppy with a kinked tail intact I would stay very far from. If they are over looking kink tails they will be over looking much more. Front feet are something big to me I like tight feet and watch for easty/westys or toeing out. These are simple things I see overlooked.

Are you looking for a dog for show? Pet? the purpose of your pup will make a difference in what you look for.

Look for parents that complement each other. Parents that do not have similar builds will throw puppies of different shapes and sizes.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
A kink tail is a huge obvious. Any breeder selling a dog or puppy with a kinked tail intact I would stay very far from. If they are over looking kink tails they will be over looking much more. Front feet are something big to me I like tight feet and watch for easty/westys or toeing out. These are simple things I see overlooked.

Are you looking for a dog for show? Pet? the purpose of your pup will make a difference in what you look for.

Look for parents that complement each other. Parents that do not have similar builds will throw puppies of different shapes and sizes.
Thanks for posting that Holly. I remember learning about what's ideal to look for when purchasing an APBT....
well basically. This refreshed what i learned, or "viewed" :)
:goodpost:

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
With any breed of dog my suggestion is to go with a breeder you know produces magnificent dogs. A breeder that is checking every bit of puppy and knows its flaws. All dogs have flaws, any breeder trying to pass off their perfect litter is not someone I look for.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Realistically, my next pup will be a pet, but with the potential to show. I guess I want it all:) It will be an APBT and not a bully type (no offense to anyone) and gamebred is not a problem, seeing that my last two were. How about what to look for in their movement/gait? I know I could just dig out my old pit bull books and look up what the pit bull should look like, but I'd rather hear it from actual folks who have "tested the waters" more than I have. It has been alot harder to just locate a potential breeder than I remember it was 15 years ago. All I ever see is the bully types. I reordered the Gazette for the first time in 13 years and was surprised to see far less classified breeder ads. I mean I have older issues where every page had pit bull classifieds. Not the case anymore. I'm just a little leary about where to go now. My last two were purchased within a 2 hour drive, but that was years ago.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
If you're looking for a dog to show, go with a breeder with a proven track record of winning at shows. They would be able to help you pick a show prospect puppy. Then if there are a few different ones that would suit, you can narrow it down by personality, color, other extraneous things. If you aren't geographically close to the breeder you choose, ask them to send you lots of pictures so you can look at your leisure. What area are you looking in?

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
If/when I decide to get a new pup in my life, what do I look for when I am "inspecting" the little guy at said purchase? I mean I know what to look for emotionally, but what do all of you fellow pit bull lovers look for structurally, appearance-wise, etc. I mean I'm not going to just grab up the cutest one, because I don't want to buy with my heart but rather my head. It's been over a decade since I've had a pup in the household and I am afraid I'm a little rusty. I do remember that a crook in the tail could indicate a spinal vertebra situation. This is the type of suggestions I'm looking for:) Thank you very much!
Follow the below link where i wrote up a bunch of stuff on how to evaluate/pick a pup:
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/9956-evaluating-picking-pup.html

·
Registered
711 Posts
Have you looked into any of the breeding sites that aren't byb's that are posted up here.
It's really hard to find a papered dog now a days. And one with parents who were temperment tested and such.
Tiva's papers just magically never made it to us, and I really don't want you to get screwed like that after all you've been through

·
Registered
198 Posts
I love all bull dogs!

First thing is first.

If you want old school, take your time.

1)Find a puppy who is aware of things far away - he is aware of the surroundings and can spot neighbors, birds, etc. before the other pups can

2)Hold the puppy on his back and see if he is OK with it

3)Which one "clicks" with you

4)Do you want high drive (they tend to be the runts), or low drive

5)Do you want an explorer or one that stays near

6)dominate

7)extra friendly

8)loves to tug on rope and would be good at hanging from a spring pole

9)There really is no such thing as a puppy that is "first pick", its subjective
ie)many times the last puppy avail could have easily been picked first
If you want good show stock, there are all kinds of ways to go.

If you want the old school, there is only one way to go (in my opinion its a pup off of ADBA greats like Sorrells, Crenshaw, Garners, Carver).

Most good looking dogs are just that, good looking dogs. Game little pups from the old school ADBA lines are very healthy and sound (as well as hard to come by).

No matter which way you go, I am sure you will be happy to spend time with your own Bull Dog :).
Some dogs do not make the best house dogs. If that is what you are looking for, make sure the parents were house dogs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts