Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just got a 14 week old pitbull puppy and they were feeding her kibbles and bits puppy chow. Should I change her food or what should I feed her?

Sorry I'm new to this and didn't know where to post.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Depends on your price range; TOTW - $44, Evo - $60 and Orijen - $80. I feed Orijen and recommend it highly. dogfoodanalaysis.com is an excellent independent food review website to check out

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hi, I just got a 14 week old pitbull puppy and they were feeding her kibbles and bits puppy chow. Should I change her food or what should I feed her?

yes ... i believe k and b is one of the worst foods around ...
Taste of the wild is pretty darn reasonable and you will notice a difference in your dog .

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

YES! Get her off that horrible food ASAP! Terrible food....it's like feeding your dog McDonalds everyday and we all know how bad that food is even once in awhile for us. Taste of the Wild, Blue buffalo, Wellness, Canidae, are all good foods. I feed Blue buffalo Lamb and brown rice. Go to the health and nutrition section of the forum and read the reasons why you should switch. This thread should actually be moved to the health/nutrition section :)

http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/3749-pet-food-rating-comparison-chart.html

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
I like taste of the wild too (totw) I switched my dog when he was 1 but I've heard it's good for pups too.
TOTW can be fed as pups too, its all life stages (pup, adult, senior all the same) and grain free.

I used to feed TOTW but switched to Orijen a while back. I know of many owners switching to different foods now that TOTW switched their ingredients around and bumping/adding salt as an ingredient. For some reason many dogs are having issues with the new formula.

Id personally be weary of the food right now, same with Evo and other foods that company puts out with the recent buy-out. (PetSmart will start carrying it) I am believe firmly that if your a some what small company, start mass producing 3x + what youve been doing quality is at some point going to suffer. Especially the demand a company like PetSmart will want.

·
Registered
296 Posts
He did seem like he was having trouble pooping but adding flax seeds for him seems to do the trick.

I don't know a ton about dog food but just as an owner of one pitbull, all of the foods mentioned seem about the same quality, just depends on what your budget is and if you want to work your dog or let him be a couch potato. :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
this topic seems to come up a million times a month , maybe a sticky on foods that are of good quality should be made , and using the search button at the top might help get your answers :) personally i like orijen works well and I see great results with my dogs but price wise its alot more expensive then TOTW i pay about $80 per bag , a bit more if im buying the red meat kind.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Depends on your price range; TOTW - $44, Evo - $60 and Orijen - $80. I feed Orijen and recommend it highly. dogfoodanalaysis.com is an excellent independent food review website to check out
Orijen is good stuff. I never paid over 33 for a 15lb bag.

I went raw after trying natures variety orijen totw and watching onyx going 60+ hours w/o eating. Switched to k9 kravings. Both my sraffy and boston make quick work of it

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Orijen is good stuff. I never paid over 33 for a 15lb bag.

I went raw after trying natures variety orijen totw and watching onyx going 60+ hours w/o eating. Switched to k9 kravings. Both my sraffy and boston make quick work of it
where do you live? I need to get it shipped lol I pay about $80 for a large bag

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
He did seem like he was having trouble pooping but adding flax seeds for him seems to do the trick.

I don't know a ton about dog food but just as an owner of one pitbull, all of the foods mentioned seem about the same quality, just depends on what your budget is and if you want to work your dog or let him be a couch potato. :)
There is a HUGE difference between TOTW, Evo and Orijen. TOTW looks good but in reality the ingredients are fairly cheap. Its great for the price but its not by a long shot the hands down be all.

If your looking decent quality, grain free and reasonable look at Canidae or Taste Of The Wild. If your looking for high quality look at Orijen. If your looking for quality and pretty limited ingredients look at Evo or Acana. If your looking for limited meat products but still high quality look at Canine Caviar.

·
Premium Member
5,098 Posts
There is a HUGE difference between TOTW, Evo and Orijen. TOTW looks good but in reality the ingredients are fairly cheap. Its great for the price but its not by a long shot the hands down be all.

If your looking decent quality, grain free and reasonable look at Canidae or Taste Of The Wild. If your looking for high quality look at Orijen. If your looking for quality and pretty limited ingredients look at Evo or Acana. If your looking for limited meat products but still high quality look at Canine Caviar.
Canidae is not grain free last I looked. It's a step or two below TOTW too IMO. TOTW is a good food for those not wanting to break the bank buying feed.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
yup good point is the price you dont want to start a food that you cant keep up feeding all month no matter when you run out or its harder on them having to switch foods until 'payday' comes around. make sure when you pick a brand that it is in your price range at all times and you can consistently get it for them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Haha I'm not really looking to get into a big discussion about it, I'm pretty laid back about most everything.

I've just heard good and bad about every food... from natural ingredients to recalls, and landed on taste of the wild. I supplement him too sometimes. Loki isn't dead or dying so I figure I must be an okay mom. I come from a house where my dad wouldn't pay over $20 a bag to feed a dog, hah.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Canidae is not grain free last I looked. It's a step or two below TOTW too IMO. TOTW is a good food for those not wanting to break the bank buying feed.
Canidae has grain free formulas as well as their "normal" ones. Im not saying TOTW is horrible food by any means but it is fairly cheap ingredients used. Its cheap but overall quality is brilliant for the price. Its a trade off. No food is perfect. Orijen is excellent quality, however pricey. I will say with both my dogs 1 30lb bag of TOTW lasted me 2 weeks, with 2 dogs on Orijen and 29.7lb bag it lasts 3-3 1/2 weeks.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Do your research on feeding RAW and then make the switch. It is everything your dog needs and nothing he doesn't. In the meantime:
Excellent NON GRAIN foods
* Orijen
* Taste of the Wild
* Blue Buffalo Wilderness

Good, quality food NO CORN - WHEAT - SOY FOODS
* Blue Buffalo
* Diamond Naturals

Please get your pup off Kibbles n Bits
Here is the review on it

1 out of 5 Stars

1 - 18 of 18 Posts