Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got a breeder friend of ours who gets all this chicken for really cheap and dropped 3 50lb boxes off at our house for nothing. 1 is chicken legs , 1 is chicken quarters kinda scraps and box of fat and skin , can this be givin to our dogs who are fed kibble? he can get this stuff regualr if we want more or is it more of a problem to give these? wondering if can be givin as treats once in a while or givin daily ? or another option is crush is the pickiest eater in the world was wondering if I cooked some of the chicken down to make like a soup and add to his kibble { he wont eat dry kibble we always have to put something on it - his breeder spoiled him :( } or should we just toss the chicken and forget about it? Iv never fed anything raw other then some bones from the butcher so any advice is appreciated thnks.
Ps. i know raw consits of more variety and types of meat and organs Im not looking to switch them to raw , just find a use for the chicken.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i am not sure about using the fat and skin to feed direction, but you could make some yummy chicken broth if it has the bones included...and put that over his food (and also use it for some soups of your own ;) )

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bump, anyone?

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Per Deb (geisthexe):
- 40% Kibble
- 40% Meat
- 15% Ruffage (vegitation or tripe)
- 5% Misc (Yogurts, ACV, Supplements)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankyou lauren :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Yeah you can feed it. Since they are not usually on raw you may get some stool change. I feed leg quarters to mine. You don't want to give them the chicken bones if they are cooked tho, that causes splintering.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks , ya I knew about the cooked bones and was 90% sure the chicken bones were ok uncooked just wanted to double check. the dogs inhaled some a bit ago lol , got like 150lbs at least of chicken had to go plug in another fridge had no room in freezer lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thats what i call a hook up.. Lucky you and Lauren you must be a walking book(Pit Bulls for DUMIES) with all do respect..lol

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Thats what i call a hook up.. Lucky you and Lauren you must be a walking book(Pit Bulls for DUMIES) with all do respect..lol
Ah, I can't take credit. Everything I know about RAW I learned from Deb (geisthexe) and Ronnie (DueceAddicTed). They are my senseis lol

If you thread search both their names in he Health section you will find a plethora of info!

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
I read swallowed down that part bothers me I want to know if they've eaten them before, I rather they be hand fed the first few times and while they crush the bone while in your hand tell them chew or slow if they start trying to wolf it down stop then start over. Thats how dogs choke their so excited over raw they want to gobble it up...

Edit: every now and then I have to do the same with Duece remind him he better crush it not gobble or I take it away ...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we did hand feed although I didnt even know that that was best , good to know we will keep doing that then when they get some. we are only giving loki , luna , pep and cali got a lil bit { the pups and crush will not be getting any , although I ,may boil some bones and make a broth to add to crush's food , since he is so picky}

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
I feed my pups as early as 6/7 weeks I hold the chicken wings in my hand let then crush it training them to slow down, its not a problem feeding them just teach em to slow down when you say so. You don't have to continuously hold the chicken for the older guys I'm just a worry wart so I like to train mine to slow down on command when I see them eating in a frenzy. Duece was taught since pup to slow down when he hears chew or bite!! cause every now and then he will swallow a leg whole when I catch him I make him spit it back out and chew ....

Edit: Disclaimer I would not recommend newbies, amateurs feed their puppies raw bone at ALL ....

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LMAO @ make him spit it back up bahahahaha just funny vision I have of you forcefully making him do that lol

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
I guess I lucked out! Bruno and Beia both crunch the bnes. I also only hand feed them,but that was due to Bruno's FA. Which is gone now,cause he has no bowl to fight over.

Any suggestions on getting them to eat something other then chicken. I have tried organs and a little beef,but they seem to only wanna eat chicken.

Sorry OP for stealing the board a little.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
raw or cooked? I always thought the fat was bad for the dogs I used to give it to them { cooked } but stopped after i heard that lol maybe just the cooked fat is bad?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts