Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never had this issue before! I have an 8 mo. old male (intact) & an almost 2 yr old female. She's been spayed since 6 mos. Got him at 8 wks old & they have always been great together. His bloodlines are strong, so were thinking of breeding him maybe a couple times before neutering but he's been getting super interested in my female...?? Suddenly today after they were outside for a while she is not herself! Won't come out of her crate if he's out & trembles; he just whines & wants at her!! There's no signs of a fight & i would have heard a fight. Would he have tried to mate with her, regarless of being spayed?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Yes, male dogs are, well dogs, they will try to hump everything. I would get pretty pissed if I was your female and you should not allow them to be unsupervised if you are noticing that much of an effect on your bitch. She shouldn't have to defend herself against the male, and as he grows there is sure to be fights over it, do NOT leave your dogs together unsupervised EVER.

My question though is what has your male accomplished so far that makes you feel like he would make a good stud? 8 months is pretty young, you cant do proper health testing until they are 2 years old at least.

Welcome to the forum, take a look around and post some pictures of your dogs! We love pictures!

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
The fact that your thinking about neutering your dog in general indicates that your probably not gonna title your dog in the show, or work your dog.

Is he even registered?

If your going to breed your dog because hes just so damned cute and he just has the most wonderful temperament ever Neuter that dog.

·
Registered
341 Posts
yes, all males are dogs and should be neutered.

ooops I think I might have misquoted. heehee

but seriously pitmom71, get your boy neutered and you and your girl can live in peace. :)

·
APBT!
9,592 Posts
To the OP... I have a 23 month old intact female, and a 29 month old neutered male, and he's been neutered since roughly 6 months of age, but when my female comes into heat, I still have to keep them separate as he still tries to mount her and mate, and she flags him and will stand there and allow him to do his thing, if I don't keep them separate. It's just a dog thing.

As everyone else has stated, if you're even thinking of having your male neutered, you might as well go ahead and do it. Not trying to jump on the bandwagon here, but I too am curious what makes you even consider breeding your male prior to neutering, aside from the fact you say he's got "strong bloodlines". What is that even supposed to mean? I think that's a new one for me, so please help me understand your logic here.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Dogs are funny like that. My male has been neutered since he was young and has tried mounting two different females lol.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
When I was a teen our neighbors had a neutered male of and an intact female. Well the female went into heat and they left them together. They actually tied!!

Anyway, I agree with the others, get him fixed now :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Both my boys and my female are all fixed....my Drake still tries to mount Alexa....i break it up but laugh at him because he is the clumsiest dog...she stands there to try to allow him to do his thing but gets an impatient look as he stumbles all around trying to mount...pretty funny actually.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
It could very well be of a "sexual" nature, but it may not. Dominance issue? Is your female not feeling well? I guess what I'm saying is there could possibly be another explanation. As others have stated, neutering the male may have little effect on what you're hoping to stop anyway...if that is even what's at hand here. Read some info on the risks and benefits of neutering before making your decision, you will find it provocative...and debatable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts