Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always looking at ads and is seems that there are a lot of people selling pitbull + lab mixes. Why do people mix pitbulls w/labs? Is there a purpose to that type of breeding?

It just seems like it's been going on long enough to make one think there's a reason behind it but I can't find one. Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The only good reason I can think of is maybe training? They're both very easy to train breeds...maybe they like the qualities of both breeds and feel the need to merge them. Or else there are just a lot of people with both breeds who aren't responsible enough to spay/neuter or separate their dogs.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
I didn't breed my APBT on purpose with a pit/lab mix, but my white boy Orion is a great dog, he has the best of both worlds from the 2 breeds, just an FYI all pups and dam were speutered before they went to homes and the dam went back home ;)

It really is an awesome mix, but I DO NOT condone breeding a pit and a lab at all

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Because they have no respect for established breeds .. In another words they are idiots .. Now accidents can happen .. But some people are just careless and don't give a darn.... But any respectable breeder worth his salt is never going to mix anything. Because a Lab is a retrieving dog and an American Pit Bull Terrier is a gladiator/working dog. Two breeds with two different purposes. And it's an insult to any enthusiast of either breed to see BYB's doing this.

·
Registered
600 Posts
In Australia most parts the APBT is against the law to own , breed or sell. However a crossbreed of the APBT with another breed is not against the law. Therefore if you breed apbt x labs you can breed and sell as many dogs as you please there are more purebred apbt in this country passed off as lab crosses, as the general public expects "pitbulls" to be massive devil dogs and not the thirty five pound dogs they are.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think that a lot of people just see Labs as a really well rounded breed, there are a ton of purposely bred lab mixes out there.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
personally i think pit/labs are harder to train. mines not as eager to please. there is NO reason why people should be breeding these dogs. its health issues upon health issues. horrible breeding. a lot has to do with "accidental" litters. people just want a couple bucks.
its crap.
just sharing my personal experience
but also i wouldnt traid nsmo for the world. this dog is the best dog i could ever ask for.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
we had A pit lab,he was viscious.
my mom had him,it belonged to my little brother.saw it when I went back to visit her,when I lived in NC and her in miami. the next day my little brother went to school.
poor dog ran into A bullet.I don't know how that happened.
when he got home from school,told him it ran off.
it was replaced with A pit.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Lol I feel so bad for laughing at him "running into a bullet" xD but I just shake my head at people for this...a friend of mine just told me today " I love your pits I'm getting one myself! Its a lab mix!" I had never been so insulted in my life lol I told her you're not getting a pitbull you're getting a mutt but good luck raising it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
WW i have used that many times when i was younger and it had more to do with fists.
"what happened to your hands" "oh some poor bugger ran into them at the pub".

Thanks mate youve made my day.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I think its the look mostly. But Pits are supser smart and trainable, Labs are super none DA or HA and trainable, (although not as smart as a pit IMO) so it how all "new" dog breeds get started. Thats how the Pit Bull was made, if someone didn't cross their ancestors together we would not have a great new breed to love. maybe back in the day they were something different until the name was acknowledged. But then all dog breeds are so similar its not really surprising to make exotic breeds, like Labaradoodles and Labarabull. I think they are all just wonderful mutt's lol. I saw the science of dogs on National Geographic and they said only 4 chromosomes differ in EVERY dog to make them unique breeds. thats so few that are the different, they are all from the same stock at some point ;)

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
lol well said Maxi as the owner of a Luna pup, I do have to say they really are awesome dogs, Orion is super smart and very easy to train, again I DO NOT condoen breeding or mixing of the breeds, it shouldn't happen, but it does, all we can do is try to educate them. Prolly won't happen but I always have hope

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
I think its the look mostly. But Pits are supser smart and trainable, Labs are super none DA or HA and trainable, (although not as smart as a pit IMO) so it how all "new" dog breeds get started. Thats how the Pit Bull was made, if someone didn't cross their ancestors together we would not have a great new breed to love. maybe back in the day they were something different until the name was acknowledged. But then all dog breeds are so similar its not really surprising to make exotic breeds, like Labaradoodles and Labarabull. I think they are all just wonderful mutt's lol. I saw the science of dogs on National Geographic and they said only 4 chromosomes differ in EVERY dog to make them unique breeds. thats so few that are the different, they are all from the same stock at some point ;)
labs were bred to fight for there food. look on the dog bite list and they are wayyy up there on biting humans

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
technically they are not even close to other breeds in regards to HA. Food aggression isn't the same thing. Think of the Dogo Argentino, it was a totally mix of many lines to create the "perfect" dog for what they were trying to do. Back to the drawing board and start again type of thing. Its all about making the "best" dog for what the owner is wanting. Seems All dogs were created this way, taking the "best" of what they are known for and mating with the "best" of what they are trying to gain.

The formula for the dogo amazes me (can you tell I want one lol):
The Fighting Dog of Cordoba, to which he added blood from..
The Pointer to give him a keen sense of smell which would be essential for the hunt.
The Boxer added vivacity and gentleness
The Great Dane it's size
The Bull Terrier, fearlessness
The Bulldog gave it an ample chest and boldness
The Irish Wolfhound brought it's instinct as a hunter of wild game
The Dogue de Bordeaux contributed it's powerful jaws
The Great Pyrenees it's white coat and
The Spanish Mastiff gave it's quota of power

·
Registered
287 Posts
pit bulls and labs are just two really popular breeds of dog so....things happen. i cant think of any real purpose to breeding these two breeds to one another unless someone just thought "what would happen if..." know what i mean? i know what youre saying though, i see people selling and giving away lab.pit bull mixes all the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts