Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about my pregnant female, will her stomach drop before she has her pups?

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
she will nest

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
helping puppies is not always easy. Sometimes it takes an experienced helping hand.

Some breeds whelp easy, and some do not. Even some lines of the same breed, will free whelp easy, and other lines, and pedigrees, seem to have repetitive problems.

What to expect

Your Female will show some of these signs or all of them. If your experience is not normal from things you have read, you should call your vet. Delaying HELP from a Vet could endanger your Dam and pups. This is a time to remember to be Safe rather than sorry

First stage of Labor:

(This stage often goes un-noticed, and takes place in the 24 hours following temperature drop)

Temperature FINALLY drops to 98°F from its normal 99,100,101°F (you should have been taking it regularly for a few days)

If you are really committed, the temperature taking does work. You will find her temperature around 99 to 101, and as soon as it starts to drop, below 99, and continues to drop. (now you take it every hour or two) ;you have about 12-24 hours from the start of the drop. When it bottoms out, to 98 or 97.9, then you have about 2-12 hours.

You may find your dam much more restless, and not able to get comfortable. She will stretch out on her side.

You may find her eyes different, they can dilate, and she can stare at you.

She may not want you out of her site. She may go to her whelp box.

She may vomit. She may try to have a bowel movement from the pressure. She may urinate frequent.

She will refuse to eat, and seek a quite spot, like a closet or under a bed.

She may have some mucus discharge, and her Vulva area will become puffier.

The normal body temperature for animals is generally higher than for humans. The normal rectal temperature of a dog is 99.5° to 102.5°F. The normal temperature of a puppy at birth is 96-97°F. The temperature gradually increases with age until it is 100°F at 4 weeks of age.

Second Stage of Labor:

Your female may go to her whelp box, or couch, or wherever she has chosen to have her pups, & start digging.

She may start shivering and Panting, examining her rear, and licking her vulva.

She may have mild contractions, vomiting, pooping and urinating more.

Warning Signs: Twitching, green discharge. (Green discharge is only Normal AFTER a pup is born)

At the first sign of a contraction, give her some calcium. Offer her vanilla Ice cream, or chew a tum and spit in her mouth, or use Calsorb.

Third stage of Labor:

Water sacs present, and break

Shivering and Panting may continue and get stronger. AS well as digging.

Contractions will become stronger and closer together.

Vomiting, grunting and pushing.

Warning Signs: pushing on a pup for over an hour causing exhaustion
Normal and preferred time, to push on one puppy that is in the birth canal, is 2 to 10 minutes.

A puppy 1/2 out and stuck and breech, must be pulled out, or it will drown. If pushing doesn't get this puppy out within a few minutes.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I have a question about my pregnant female, will her stomach drop before she has her pups?
do you mean like in humans it looks like the womans stomach has dropped or looks like she's carrying the baby on the bottom side of her stomach right before she has the baby?I don't believe so.I mean I'm hardly the expert when it comes pregnant bithes and birth,but I've never heard someone else talk about it.Nor did Pretty Girl look this way before she had her pups.

Keep a close eye on your girl when you know the time is close.Pretty Girl kept acting like she had to go to the bathroom so I would keep taking her out to make sure she didn't.While outside she kept trying to go under different stuff in the backyard and dig under stuff,even though I already had a place set up inside for her.I had to practically make her stay in her welping box until she actually pushed the first one out.Then she had no problem staying in there

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I noticed my girls stomach move back but cant remember how far along she was when that happened, would think at 57 days or whatever your girl is at they have already moved back. Just keep on those temps and when it starts to drop you know you are close.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts