Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a female pit about a year ago. They claimed she was a reverse blue, she has a very odd personality, there are people she don't like, and people she loves. We also have a male Boston Terrier, they play fight all the time. The other day Missy (the pit) some how got her tooth in the Bostons eye, and pulled it out! (crazy i know!!) Capodie (the boston) had to get surgery and have his eye sewed back in. We are currently looking for a home for her but it's hard cause she is so selective of who she's around. My daughter was in the room when the accident happened and now is terrified of Missy and we have no choice.. she has to go :( i love her to pieces, but if my child is scared, i have to do something. Is there any way i can get Missy to be more calm so i can find a proper home for her?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
This is the reason we need to do ALOT of research before we jump into this thing called ownership...now she is going to be uprooted from everything she knows simply for doing what these dogs have been created for...even that is a stretch because it sounds like it was mutual play...these dogs require lots of training and are not intended for playmates of other lil dogs in the household imo...I could go on and on...but bottom line I really hope she finds a better home...do not just re-home her to the 1st person who contacts you about her...these dogs ARE NOT for everyone...best of luck...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Side Note : the reverse blue thing was most likely a gimmick to make the dog seem "rare" and also has nothing to do with anything imo

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Also...if you are going to re-home the dog...please do a house visit...ask the person how much experience they have with the breed...make them sign a mandatory spay/neuter contract...
Do a search on the site for adoption contracts...

Reactions: Black Rabbit

·
Registered
606 Posts
+1 Lonestar! :goodpost:

Look i know that you must be going through alot right now but giving the dog to someone else might not be the answer. my question is why would you let your pitbull rough house with your boston terrier. the pit must out weigh your boston by at least 30+ pounds. Thats like getting a kid from the wrestling team to grapple against a kid from band. makes no sense. add in the fact that these dogs can be dog aggressive and this is a recipe for disaster. now im not saying that your pit attacked the boston but now there is an irreversible accident and your pit is being punished for something that is essentially your fault. Im sorry to be harsh but the truth usually is.

as for you daughter being scared, who could blame her. any child witnessing this would be in shock. but once again this comes down to you letting this happen. hind sight is 20/20 so it doesnt help you now. but is there any way that you can help your daughter through this with the dog. the last thing you want is for her to grow up with this as a scar in her life.

·
Registered
859 Posts
many ppl own pitbulls and small dogs there's even pictures on this very own site so I do believe they can co exist with one another not only that I have had small dogs including pet rats and rabbits that have been around my pits it's all training. Never allow ur pit to mouth any pet even for play if u choose to keep her. AS well for the Boston I know they can be hyper dogs so both dogs need to learn how to play not so excited with one another it does take time and patience. If UD like as well crate them or one whenever ur not around. BUt this is just my opinion it has worked for me and I don;t think it's ur fault because it only doesn't happen to pitbulls, my neighbors golden retriever also took his other small dogs eye out with his tooth. WE need to monitor when dogs play and that they're not getting too rough with one another b/c that is the problem. good luck to u and sorry for ur daughter's scare :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My two dogs have been around each other for over a year.. they always play. Never once has it gotten serious, by saying that Pits are not created to be playmates is just going with every other person that criticized me for getting her in the first place. My mother has a Pit.. he is the BEST dog ever, and she has my Pomeranian and they play all the time, never a bad time once. What Missy did was a COMPLETE accident.. and i know that, they were on the living room floor while i was sitting on the couch. it took two seconds and bam. I know she's not a mean dog. But i'm just worried it will happen again, it don't help that her owner before controlled her too much and she had little freedom, i have had two people call me about her, but one mentioned pit fighting and i hung up, the other had 3 other dogs and i also declined. I know what i want for her, i am just worried about the transition. I'm doing what is best for her, so she is not in the situation again. The Boston is my daughters dog and we have had him for over 3 years and what it cost us to get him also plays a part in why he's the one who will stay. but thank you for all of your help

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Missy'smama, I hope you find a good home for her but you need to realise that the people who are advising you not to have playmates for APBTs are speaking from experience. In some cases, years of experience. We tend to take responsible ownership pretty seriously.

I totally believe you when you say that what happened was an accident. If Missy had wanted to harm the Boston then you wouldn't have a Boston right now.

However, what does your daughter think? All she knows is that her little dog had it's eye gouged out by a vicious pit bull. This is probably going to be her lasting impression of these dogs now and whenever "pit bulls" come up in conversation, her input will be "Oh I would never own a pit bull! They're savage dogs and when I was little a pit bull nearly killed my Boston terrier!" This is how stereotypes start.

My advice is to find a home that does not have another dog already there.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I want to start with I am sorry this occurred. Have you asked your daughter what she thinks, why she is afraid of the dog? Does she know it was simply an accident. Are your projecting a negative vibe of this dog to your daughter? I am not asking these questions to be hurtful or offensive. Open discussion is the best avenue to get her through this without an negative impression of pits. I know it is a hard decision to remove an animal from the home. I've always had a multi-dog household and never once had an issue, until about 8mths ago and it wasn't the pits fault. Have you thought about a crate and rotate method for the dogs? It does work wonderfully and both dogs spend time hanging out or baby gates to control the dogs movement. These are alternative options instead of removing the dog from what he knows and loves. Good luck on your final decision.

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Any pit bull that is questionable or you think might bite or is a bot sketchy needs to be destroyed NOT rehomed. Dont risk another headline

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
proof that pitbulls arent for everybody. its a shame that a child had to be traumatised by a parents lack of responsibility and ignorance

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I'm gonna guess that you didn't actually read the thread gamer lol...
destroy the dog for accidentally pokin out a boston's eye during rough play??!!
nowhere in the thread does it mention fear of the dog attacking human...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Destroying her is not even close to what any one should do. I know she would NEVER HURT my kids, I just talked to a man who is a single guy, no kids, or other pets. We are going tomorrow for a home visit for Missy..She along with I have to like him and the environment. if I can't find someone who I feel would be as good to her as we are, then she will stay and we will figure out how to deal with this. I have talked to my daughter (autistic 5 year old), continue to tell her it was an accident (my daughter don't know the type of dog she is), and i gave Missy a hug and kiss last night then my daughter did the same. So if i can get my daughter to be completely okay, then Missy will stay. Accidents happen. As we look for a home we are doing the rotate of them. each get a certain amount of time and get the same amount of love. I'm trying to find a way to make her less playful with the boston so we can keep her.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Awesome...I'm sorry if I came across kinda harsh in my first few responses...we are very passionate about this breed here...but I am just glad to see you are handling this responsibly...so many idiots would just call animal control and turn the dog over if they had a situation they didn't know how to handle...

If you decide to keep her please let us know and we can start working with you on what needs to be done to prevent this from happening again...

If not let us know how the adoption goes...and if you do adopt her out to the guy you're speaking of...refer him to this site for information!!!

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I did not read everything, but if she is not spayed right now, please get her done before placement. There's no reason to even risk this guy getting the idea that he can breed her later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts