Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed totw and i feed him 2 1/2 cups once a day usually at night is that good or bad, because there are so many different opinions on how and when to feed, some say feed once a day and not to feed twice a day and others say the complete opposite. Please help and he eats alot better since i start feeding him like this

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
yes this is fine, if your dog looks thin then up it a bit if he looks chunky then adjust a bit. some feed once a day others feed twice whatever works for you is fine.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It all depends on your dog. Such as how fast his metabolism is, how much exercise you give him, also his genetics can play a big part too! My dog Raj is just meant to be lean no matter how much I feed him. Just monitor his weight the best you can ;)

·
Registered
816 Posts
I would think twice a day makes more sense....if you give an animal 100% of its daily caloric intake in one serving there is simply no way 100% of those calories will be used as energy for the day....some will be stored as fat...now how much you feed him obviously would be dictated by the dogs shape....but u are more likely to maintain homeostasis and live a longer healthier life if the meal is split.

understand that wild animals feed once a day because they hunt...... at some point we have to increase a dogs natural life no? a wild dog doesnt live the avg life of a domesticated one right?? this would be one of the reasons...

think about it

·
Registered
23 Posts
I feed basicly 4 times a day. 1/2 cup kibble in her bowl and the other half in her kong wobbler thing. Morning and night.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I always heard 2 times a day was best as well, but if your schedule doesn't work as far as bathroom break after the morning feeding I can see why you might stick with the way you have it. Oh but My dog growing up ate once a day but she was really fat... maybe they get slow metabolism like humans? lol Yeah sorry can;t help ya, too many opinions on that, just do what works for your pup.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I prefer to feed twice a day, but most dogs are able to tolerate once. Some will tend to throw up bile if fed only once per day. A dogs stomach acid is way stronger than ours, so perhaps it doesn't set well on an empty stomach for those. Wild dogs were scavengers, more than hunters, so they ate whatever was available, probably small amounts throughout the day.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I always feed 3x a day when they are pups and 2x a day as adults. Never had any issues with it, the last feeding of the day for both pups and adults is about 30 minutes after I'm done working them out.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
i always feed in the morning and at night. If you are going to be feeding justy once a day it is bect to feed at night. And mind you this is from word of mouth from 2 different sources both dog men i respect and look up to. Their reason being dogs just like us use up their protien when they sleep so they are getting more of the food persay than feeding them mid day. I feed 2 cups a day per dog.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
i always feed in the morning and at night. If you are going to be feeding justy once a day it is bect to feed at night. And mind you this is from word of mouth from 2 different sources both dog men i respect and look up to. Their reason being dogs just like us use up their protien when they sleep so they are getting more of the food persay than feeding them mid day. I feed 2 cups a day per dog.
It is not a good idea to feed at the same time every day. Carnivores, like our dogs, are not meant to be fed on time. Unfortunately, our dogs are also very fast to adjust to a regular feeding schedule. This creates big trouble when you suddenly start deviating from the well-established schedule. You might see vomiting of bile and other signs of a significant decrease in wellness by simple feeding something different - or feeding at a different time.
Granted I feed RAW and the digestion process is different than with kibble. Kibble generally consist primarily of carbohydrates from grain. More than half of the weight is that, if not 70% or more, regardless the fact of grain not even being on the menu of a natural diet. Carbohydrates can only be digested in the dog's stomach by enzymes that only function well at pH levels that are close to neutral (pH 6-7) - and thus very far from the very strong acidity (pH 1-2) required by the enzymes that digest raw meat. When a dog has been "programmed" to expect a meal of mainly carbohydrates at, say 8 PM, then the pancreas will produce lots of those enzymes that can do the job of digesting the expected carbohydrates and the stomach will adjust the pH level to around 6. All of this happening shortly before 8 PM every day.... sooooo.... The best thing you can do for your dog is to keep them guessing about when they are going to get their next meal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@pitbullmamanatl so is it ok to feed once a day but keep him guessing wen he will eat

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
I went with Lisa (performance kennels) advice and feed pups 18wks old or less 3 times a day. Young pups are growing at a rapid rate and need to have the nutrients and fat in their system to supply their growth.

Twice a day after 18 weeks.

Edit: just realized that you might not be asking about a pup. So yeah...twice a day is fine.

·
Registered
816 Posts
my pup is almost 8 months and i basically feed him 1 cup at a time as always and the ONLY thing that changes is the amount of cups which now is 3-4 a day depending on how he looks....3 to 3.5 is the avg still.

i did notice he no longer can control himself and if i free feed him the bowl remains empty so we are changing gears to feeding him randomly 1 cup a a time until we get to the 3rd or 4th ...... i evaluate him from pics to make sure he stays in shape.

the funny thing is that i have never table fed him once and when i cook...like last night i dropped a lil hot sauce on the floor like 3-4 drops....and he went after immediately almost with a spatula trying to clean it up lol.... of course i wiped and cleaned it.

he is NOT to be trusted around food anymore.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i feed mine twice per day my AB was over weight at one point from one big feed a day switch to twice a day at reduced amounts to keep the blood sugar levels stable and works a treat,

same with my pit twice a day if shes worked hard then shes gets it 3 times now and again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts