Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when does a bitch normally go into heat?
and when they do what do yall usally do with them if they are inside and not spayed?
or is it better to spay em before heat idk i have heard alot of different opinions... any advice? i think my bitch is going into heat pretty soon but idk never had a female dog or a dog in general. would be appreciated:)

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Usually at around 6 months old.

If she's inside and not spayed... get used to mopping up!:)

If she's not being shown or bred there's no problem getting her spayed before she comes into season. Or you could wait until after if she's getting close now.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
they can come into heat from 6 months to a little over a year is typical for 1st heat, my girls all came in around 7 months , and then it can be 4-6 months after that , mine come in around every 4 months were as a friend of mine his female comes in heat every 6 months so may vary a little depending on the dog.
When my girls are inside I use huggies or any disposable diaper just cut a hole in them for there tail { the puppy ones in the pet store are alot more expensive this is just more cost efficient}. Others use normal underwear and use a liner inside them probably a little more cost effective then my method but i prefer mine :).

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
you can leave her in a kennel if it is properly set up for her ie: proper shelter for her to get away from the elements, proper food and water , secure enough to keep her in and not able to escape or to allow a male to get in { I have heard storys that males have tied with females through chain link fencing in dog runs , never seen it but heard storys} so make sure the area around the run will be safe from males. I just bring mine in they spend most of the time inside it really isnt that bad they dont bleed a ton atleast mine dont the diapers work great and mine dont seem to mind them at all havent had them take them off at all. Id be more inclined to crate inside then leave them outside { I worry about theft here so mine arent outside when im not awake or home}

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
as for how long it lasts its average 3 weeks , one of my females is closer to 2 weeks usually maybe a couple days more. if it seems like the bleeding has stopped around 2 weeks still keep her contained for the full 21 days as she may still be in heat , just to prevent anything.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i would really love to show her... but i just dont know how or where to go about that... ive also heard it is better to spay them after heat oppose to before to let some kind of vitamin into their system.. but idk any of you ever hear that before? i wanna see what shes gonna look like at her full peak before i decide if i want to breed her or not, or spay her. shes honestly a GREATT bitch. which is also why i wanna show her aswell.

the kennel would be one of those portable wire crate... and she will be looked over for the whole time... but am i reallyy gonna have to deal with a bitch (sorry females) for a whole 21 days bleeding and staying alive lol ?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
LOL it isnt that bad, easy when you dont have a male around to have to rotate and listen to him cry and whine for 21 days lol.
What registry is she with , if you want to show we could probably help you locate some shows near you { up my way they seem to be done for the winter, but there looks to be alot in the states going on still} get back with the registry and what area you are in maybe someone can let you know about some shows or even fun shows to try her out in.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
and for the portable wire crate they arent that indestructable a dog could easily get it apart to get in if really wanted. I wouldnt leave her outside in that not only for that reason but second it really isnt big enough. Id bring that inside and use the diapers , you could crate her inside where its a better temp and safe from outside dogs. JMO.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i probably am gonna do that.. the diaper thing... because shes already always inside and putting her outside would probably stress her making her think ima leave her outside from now on lol i dont wanna do that. but idk this is my first dog and first female obviously lol and idk what to do around that time lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
other then the diaper nothing really to do , you dont have males in the house right? other then that just walk onleash and try and avoid areas with lose dogs for obvious readons. My girls kinda lose there appetite during that time dont know if they all like that but I noticed a change in there eating habits. With it being her 1st heat she may follow you around alot Luna got real clingy with us around the time she got her 1st heat Ithink she was feeling a change and wasnt sure what was going on just needed attention lol. Like I said it really isnt a big deal especially if she is the only dog you dont have the crate and rotate thing with males you have to do . The worst part here when my girls go into heat is listening to the males whine and cry its sooooo annoying lol.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
you will see her get puffy usually a week or so before the bleeding starts but keep an eye on it. How old is she now? is she puffy at all back there? no way to tell exactly when so just have to keep an eye on her when she puffs up a bit , you could always diaper her a few days after you notice the swelling, not like the diaper will hurt her if put on early. They also dont bleed a whole lot its more drops { atleast my dogs it isnt heavy really}

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
o ok... i dont know what it would look like lol ive never had a bitch... i am noticing it is getting slightly bigger then before but not swollen.. it looks fat lol and she just turned 7 months :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ya it will look fat and puffy looking , id keep an eye on her she could come into heat anytime between now and a lil over a year is average. you may also notice her cleaning it alot and turning around to look at it and there may be some bahavioural changes,more clingy to you or loss of appetite so keep an eye out for any of that.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
sounds like she is comming into heat if its getting bigger and she is cleaning it alot, watch her close .

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
there are so many opinions on if you should do it before or after. I have heard so many arguments. On males, most people say to wait until after 2 years old. On females, some say if you are going to do it, do it before they go into heat because they can get certain types of mange or other infections in their flaps, etc based on the cycle. Its really your own opinion and choice, but if you don't want to have to deal with the cycle, just get her spayed. there is more risk spaying WHILE in heat, so looks like you may have missed your window. If you are showing her, she can't compete some things, so you might want to check the rules in what you're interested in getting her doing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah thats what im talking about ive heard a few different opinions lol idk what to know ive never had experience... but i guess im about to get some lol

if im not gonna have to deal with her bleeding for 3 weeks being spayed... shes gonna be spayed then lol :clap:

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
ya if she is spayed there is no bleeding. Just sounds like she is so close to going into heat wait atleast a few weeks after she has come out of heat to get her fixed. having her fixed while she is in heat or just comming out or into heat can have some health risks. Most reputable vets wont spay a dog in heat unless there is a medical emergency which requires it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts