Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up on getting ears cropped and I know your not supposed to crop there ears after a certain age and I was wondering why? Will the ears not stand up straight? Also does anyone know who does ear crop in or around the state of PA? The city we live in does not crop ears, and I don't want to go just anywhere. Thanks for your help guys:)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I've been reading up on getting ears cropped and I know your not supposed to crop there ears after a certain age and I was wondering why? Will the ears not stand up straight? :)
I think it's similar to circumcisions on humans. It's more painful as an adult, and you will remember it hahahaha. But back to the question at hand. Some say that the cartilage on the ear is thicker/stronger thus may already have a shape from the ears being flopped. Doing it when they're young gives the best opportunity for the ears to 'mold' into the right shape.

Other reasons I have read is that it takes more anesthesia to knock out the dog, the dog is heavier and is more work for the vet to move him around the operating table, etc. The ears can be cropped at any age, provided that you can find a vet that is willing to do it after a dog is older than 6 months.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well ive never done this to any of my dogs because i have heard that it is very painful for them. Is there any health related reason for cropping ears or it it merely for show?

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
The reason vets do not like to do it at an older age is because of the following
- cartilage is not stable in a young pup
- blood vessels are not out to bleed as much as an adult dog

About ears standing
- Yes you can get an older dogs ears to stand after cropping, it will take longer b/c you are trying to retrain cartilage that is already stable.

Dogs have pain no different then any other creature. Dogs are just more better at hiding it.

Cost it all depends on the area you live. You can pay at a VETS office from 150.00 to 800.00 depending on the vet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts