Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the living room and noticed Quinton was WAY too quiet. Walked into the kitchen and he was ON the TABLE! I yelled get down! And put him in his crate. I was so mad.

I have some mixed feelings about this so maybe you can sort it out for me. When I got home I seen he vomited his breakfast so decided to wait with feeding him as an upset tummy.

So he was on the table after the bread. Yes I know bread should never been there, but he also knows better than this. So he was on the table because he was hungary.

So is this a don't put food on the table and move on or... :confused:

He is a VERY smart dog and knows darn well when he's been naughty. I have to crate him every night or he gets into the trash. So he has his sneaky side.

Unrelated question: Is chewing a lot a normal Pitbull characteristic?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I wondered, Quinton is very destructive if not closely monitored. And other PB at our shelter are very mouthy too.

I wonder if the table is a training issue? Odd tho he knows better.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
loki loooves to chew on things think its normal , the table thing and trash thing i can relate to with loki, we just learned not to leave temptation out sure we get mad when he does get into stuff but figure we are to blame as well . i usually do the same thing send him to his crate or out of the room make him lay on his bed. he knows he is bad cause he holds his head down and looks all sad but temptation is just too great at times lol. best thing i figure is too not set him up to fail we keep the trash outside or out of reach and keep food put up. im sure there is something you can do to train him not too. Our trainer said to tie a can of pennies to whatever we have on the counter and put the can in the cupboard above that way when he grabs the food it comes down n makes a ton of noise and scares them . cant really do this to the table though lol , n we have never tried this just wasnt a priority to us i guess. he is well behaved other than that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quinton is too, well behaved most of the time. I did feel it was my fault but wanted to check here :D Can't blame him, being hungary and all...

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
In our house our trash is kept under the sink and they are locked with child locks lol. Also we never really leave anything out or on our counters. As for the chewing and destructiveness this is totally normal. If he is destroying things he may just need some more work and play time. Dosia was the worst destructive pup I've ever had. He would chew the molding around windows and doors. When he was out he would chew on the outside of the house, or he'd rip the flower vines off the fence. He even jumped up inside flower pots and dug my plants out. After I built him a spring pole and flirt pole and dedicated time to working him and giving him proper exercise he was the best dog ever. He has not tore up my yard at all since he's had a spring pole. He is also very good inside and can be trusted to sleep in the living room by himself now :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
lol sorry that's a bit funny because I have a 10 year old dog who is the same!
Pit bull in general are big chewers and you should have plenty of nylabones for them to chew on and a black kong is great too. No he was not starving enough to get the bread just being a naughty dog and took advantage of the bread being out. Missing a meal or two is necessary sometimes for different reasons.

He is just a dog you have to watch and you and My dog who is still like that at 10 years old, I have baby gates so she cannot getting to to kitchen or other rooms I do not want her in. Supervision is the key and if it helps you can have him on leash to correct bad behavior but you have to catch them in the act not after the fact.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

Thanks in advance!
HAHAHAHAHA sorry this made my day. EVERYONE who meets Gargamel thinks he has an issue cause he is always trying to chew on some bone or ball or stick or ANYTHING. I thinks its awesome your like ummm hello is this NORMAL!?? but yes, they are normally chewers their entire lives. they will eat you out of everything so get some good chew toys. I hate spending $15 on a nice toy to have it destroyed in 2 days, so i am always looking for a good find... When Gargamel was on lockdown due to his sprained paw, I swear he was so made he ate 2 cable remotes, 2 wiimotes, my mail and a ps3 controller. This was when he was alomst 2 and totally KNOWS better than to mess with them. So yeah, get some chew toys STAT lol and keep 'em stalked!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HAHAHAHAHA sorry this made my day. EVERYONE who meets Gargamel thinks he has an issue cause he is always trying to chew on some bone or ball or stick or ANYTHING. I thinks its awesome your like ummm hello is this NORMAL!?? but yes, they are normally chewers their entire lives. they will eat you out of everything so get some good chew toys. I hate spending $15 on a nice toy to have it destroyed in 2 days, so i am always looking for a good find... When Gargamel was on lockdown due to his sprained paw, I swear he was so made he ate 2 cable remotes, 2 wiimotes, my mail and a ps3 controller. This was when he was alomst 2 and totally KNOWS better than to mess with them. So yeah, get some chew toys STAT lol and keep 'em stalked!
I had to ask! Every pitbull I meet is a huge chewer! Yes I don't bother with cheap toys anymore. His are at least $15 each and he has a black kong :D Tried rope toys but he was ingesting it so no more rope toys!

lol sorry that's a bit funny because I have a 10 year old dog who is the same!
Pit bull in general are big chewers and you should have plenty of nylabones for them to chew on and a black kong is great too. No he was not starving enough to get the bread just being a naughty dog and took advantage of the bread being out. Missing a meal or two is necessary sometimes for different reasons.

He is just a dog you have to watch and you and My dog who is still like that at 10 years old, I have baby gates so she cannot getting to to kitchen or other rooms I do not want her in. Supervision is the key and if it helps you can have him on leash to correct bad behavior but you have to catch them in the act not after the fact.
Great pointers :) Yeah he can get into some trouble sometimes. He chewed on one of the kids bicycle seats! My vacuum hose! Yeah so I have to keep a very close eye on him! I usually don't keep food on the table, one of my boys didn't put it away. Been keeping a closer eye on that and and the pup :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Dogs cannot distinguish between what we call "right" or "wrong". They just don't have the brain parts to do so. (this does NOT make them stupider or anything, it's just he fact that they are animals and they cannot rationalize like that, which is why dogs are quick to "forgive" which is why we love our dogs) So your dog doesn't know he's being "naughty", he's just trying to feed himself since he's hungry.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
I was in the living room and noticed Quinton was WAY too quiet. Walked into the kitchen and he was ON the TABLE! I yelled get down! And put him in his crate. I was so mad.

I have some mixed feelings about this so maybe you can sort it out for me. When I got home I seen he vomited his breakfast so decided to wait with feeding him as an upset tummy.

So he was on the table after the bread. Yes I know bread should never been there, but he also knows better than this. So he was on the table because he was hungary.

So is this a don't put food on the table and move on or... :confused:

He is a VERY smart dog and knows darn well when he's been naughty. I have to crate him every night or he gets into the trash. So he has his sneaky side.

Thanks in advance!
Yes, Teasha, chewing is normal at all life stages for this breed. They continously work those jaw muscles to keep them healthy and strong. You'd do Quinton good by promoting that habit with providing the proper chew toys and treats for him. Rawhide is a no-no as they can break off bigger chunks than they can swallow and either choke on it, or cause an obstruction in the intestines or other areas of the GI tract. Bully sticks, Kongs, and other breed appropriate toys are wonderful. I've always given my dogs big raw beef knuckle bones or femurs, or whatever type stew-bones I could find at the local grocery store. If you have a butcher or a local meat market you favor, you can often times find those bones there for Quinton.

As far as him being on the dining table, I agree, that's a no-no as well. To remedy this situation, you'll need to catch him in the act of getting on the table and give him a firm NO, and then redirect his attention. Although he may seem like he knows when he's done wrong, dogs' memory isn't as good as a human's, so if you fuss at them after the act, they dont' know what they've done wrong. Only that you're scolding them for something, and will most likely associate that scolding with whatever they're doing at the present moment. Yes, I would say don't leave any food on the table if you can't be right there to supervise him and prevent him from climbing on the table. I had a dog once (pictured in my avatar) who loved to snag a whole loaf of bread off the counters.. but would only go in the kitchen if she thought I wasn't paying attention, as she wasn't allowed in the kitchen any other time.

To set him up for a correction, place a slice of bread on the table, and hide just around the corner, out of sight, and watch him, and as soon as he sniffs at the table and looks like he's going to attempt climbing up there, or reach for the bread, quickly issue a firm NO! Then, lead him away from the table, and start again. It may take some time, but he'll get the message. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't feed rawhide I am very much against those. I do have some chew toys, but could use suggestions. Then I could order online as there is very little here. Maybe I can start another thread and post the toys I have and everyone can suggest toys. Probably would help more than just me :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts