Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we took barry to the vet because he was unable to drink water or eat.We thought he had an intestinal blockage.

It turns out,he had parvo. even though he had had his shots,he still got it.
The vet said it was amazing he lived through the car ride.

He was the best thing i ever had..and i didnt even have him for a full year.

I loved him. I'll never forget him.

I'm not entirely sure what to say.I just wanted to let everyone who had helped me with all of my barry related problems know that he's gone.I apreciate all the help from you guys through the months.

thank you all.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
That sucks! Sorry for your loss. R.I.P. Barry

Hind sight...was there anything that you think could've been done to maybe prevent from him getting sick

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I am so very sorry you lost your sweet boy and I wish you could have had more time together.

Your heart will heal with time and the hurt will be replaced by special memories. But until then it's OK to feel sad and lonely w/out him. Our dogs defiantly hold a special place in our hearts don't they?

((hugs))

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks! Sorry for your loss. R.I.P. Barry

Hind sight...was there anything that you think could've been done to maybe prevent from him getting sick
He had already had his shots. parvo lives in the ground and can be easily transmitted. It happened so fast there was nothing i could have really done. even the vet said treatment might not help him. he recomened i just put him out of his pain.He was fine one day,and on deaths door the next.

I'm not sure if you meant to sound like i didnt take care of my dog, but you made it sound like that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so very sorry you lost your sweet boy and I wish you could have had more time together.

Your heart will heal with time and the hurt will be replaced by special memories. But until then it's OK to feel sad and lonely w/out him. Our dogs defiantly hold a special place in our hearts don't they?

((hugs))
They do. Everytime i think about how happy he looked only a day ago it just hurts more. ..
I feel like i never want to go through it agian.. but i also feel like my life jsut wont be the same without a faithful canine by my side.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
When a dog has shots there isn't much you can do to prevent parvo. Parvo is all over and travels on peoples shoes or clothing. Giving your dogs its proper shots and not taking it out really young is your best chance but when you have done the proper thing and a dog gets parvo anyway there is not need to pass blame to an owner.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
im soo sorry for your loss i know the feeling parvo is a bad bad deal ive lost pups before that had their shots but i am very careful with my dogs now even puppies i let them out in the home that i know is extremly clean and out some but i limit it for that reason of parvo. i do know dogs survive it i have three now that have survived it aginst vets orders to just put them down heck i took one dog to the vet she was a older dog over a yr she cut the inside of her leg pretty wide so we went in snd they stiched her up had her for the day and when she came home she was sick and i knew the sighns of parvo nd got her back and she was treated for a few days and came home. i am so sorry for your loss tho i hope your pain is eased knowing he isnt in pain anymore, be blessed and hopefully in time you will find another pup to give your love to.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost: americanpit i type slow but you took the words right out of my mouth lol i just take longer to explain haha

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
so sorry for your loss.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
He had already had his shots. parvo lives in the ground and can be easily transmitted. It happened so fast there was nothing i could have really done. even the vet said treatment might not help him. he recomened i just put him out of his pain.He was fine one day,and on deaths door the next.

I'm not sure if you meant to sound like i didnt take care of my dog, but you made it sound like that.
Wow that's tough. No I didn't mean it like that at all. Just wondering if the vet made any preventative suggestions for future... I have a 6month old pup and have never had any experiences with parvo personally...knock on wood. But it is a reality for all of us. Unfortunately you had to deal with this so I was hoping you would help shine some light for others like myself.

If I sounded like that, I apologize.

R.I.P. Barry

Reactions: texasgame

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow that's tough. No I didn't mean it like that at all. Just wondering if the vet made any preventative suggestions for future... I have a 6month old pup and have never had any experiences with parvo personally...knock on wood. But it is a reality for all of us. Unfortunately you had to deal with this so I was hoping you would help shine some light for others like myself.

If I sounded like that, I apologize.

R.I.P. Barry
Oh,then i apolojize as well for being touchy..been a long few days.feels like years.

Shots and carefull eyes on puppies that go outside are the only things i can say.American pit worded this very well.

Our family has had three dogs ,all pits, pass of parvo. The first had such a severe case he died the same day before his vet apointment.He was my sisters pit. the other two were her sons. both never reached thier first year.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Hey Barry
Sorry to hear of your loss.It's always hard when a crew member leaves,but no need to have the suffer.
And he is not gone--he just went ahead so we wont be alone when we arrive.
RIP.
Henry

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. R.I.P. Barry.

If you have a rescue dog or are getting a puppy from a less than diserable breeder you should know that if you give your pup his shots and he been exposed to parvo. The pup will die. Soemtimes a pup can be exposed to pravo and not get really sick but once you give them that live vaccine they will come down with parvo and a much worse case than if you left alone. I had this happen to me. It was horrible.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mate ... I'm new here, and this is one of the first post's I've seen, and one of the sadest :( ... so sorry dude ... RIP Barry

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
oh now, so heartbreaking and I am so sorry for your lose. RIP Barry!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
So sorry to read about Barry. RIP.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Oh,then i apolojize as well for being touchy..been a long few days.feels like years.

Shots and carefull eyes on puppies that go outside are the only things i can say.American pit worded this very well.

Our family has had three dogs ,all pits, pass of parvo. The first had such a severe case he died the same day before his vet apointment.He was my sisters pit. the other two were her sons. both never reached thier first year.
IM in no way trying to be mean I know what its like to go through that I had a litter come down with it luckly they all made it. But just thought of something reading what you just posted, sounds like if this is happeneing over n over in your home that maybe it hasnt been sanitized the way it needs to be. This virus can live for a Loooong time in your yard or home if it hasnt been cleaned properly, I was told it can even live through our cold winters we have up here and be active again in the spring.
Incase you havent been told any of this already Ill go through a bit now. I would mix a bleach water solution 1 part bleach to 30 parts water and mop all floors, spray down carpets and wash , clean couches, bathrubs anything the pup came in contact with and then do the yard as well, wait 24 hours then redo it again. And just be vigilant if you bring another dog in the house especially before its vaccinated. We had a litter after that one that came down with it and I was so paranoid about it we moved that litter out to the garage kennels I didnt want them in the same room as those 1st pups were even though i bleached it with pure bleach , and we never let them out in the yard until all there shots were complete { the 1st litter we allowed outside in the yard after the 1st shots only, lesson learned}
Very sorry you have gone through this so many times but figured I would post this , it just hit me when you said you have lost others to this in the past too.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
If this has all been on the same property I would think twice before adding another puppy to the family.

Pitbulls from back yard breeders often have weak immune systems which is why it may look as though the breed itself is more effected by Parvo than others but it more so the way the animals have been bred. In some cases not all.

·
Registered
901 Posts
RIP Barry at the rainbow bridge. Play and be happy with our loved ones that have also passed to the rainbow bridge. So sorry for your loss. Many of us know what you are feeling at this point in your life.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts