Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So its pouring down rain her in my neck of the woods and Odin has an issue. He does NOT like to go outside when its raining. lol. i know he has to go potty cuz he keeps pawing at the door but when i get up and open it, he just stands there and stares outside like "oh hell". now he's giving me looks like "mom, fix it" with sad puppy eyes and all. as i was sitting here typing this he walked over and put his head on my lap and just stared at me so sad, im like "i cant fix it bubbas, what do u want me to do?" he was so sad looking, it was terribly cute!!! if my camera woulda been nearby i woulda gotten a pic. i finally left the door cracked open and eventually he wander out to do his business. i just wanted to share his silly antics with y'all. :rain:

·
Super Moderator
4,618 Posts
Ecko pees on the pavers where the grill is so he isn't in the rain, and the chihuahua won't go out without a jacket and boots on if it's raining, if not she pees in the kids rooms.
Poor Odin has to pee pee. :(

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
mine dont like it either, well crush does but he is a creep. The girls I have to boot out or go out and drag them out with me , they hate it.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
The best thing you can do is just start taking them out on leashes when its a light rain, or if needed start after the rain while the ground is still wet and work your way up to raining.. There are various reasons to dogs not wanting to go outside when it rains, some dont like water period, some were never exposed to it or not enough thus not socialized to the weather conditions, etc..

Try and pin point the reason and work with him.

Any hound i've handled has been exposed to heat, cold, snow, rain, etc.. For me they need to be able to perform and function in any condition.. However even going to a pet level, its important for them to be exposed enough to not shun from conditions that aren't nice and sunny.. Otherwise, you run into the problem you have now.

Also, your Chi can go out without a hood and feet covered, the problem is you have instilled that behavior in your Chi.. Which can also be corrected over time if you are wanting it to.. Often people say their small dogs don't do this or that, won't do this or that.. The problem is most people care for the small, cute dog as human baby.. Thus creating the issue.

No dog naturally won't go outside without "clothes", in other words.. But again, that is up to you just thought i'd point that out.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ecko pees on the pavers where the grill is so he isn't in the rain, and the chihuahua won't go out without a jacket and boots on if it's raining, if not she pees in the kids rooms.
Poor Odin has to pee pee. :(
woah, im glad that Odin doesnt pee in the house. never once since i brought him home from the shelter. and im sure if i had a patio cover, he'd pee right under it too. lol

mine dont like it either, well crush does but he is a creep. The girls I have to boot out or go out and drag them out with me , they hate it.
aww but i like Crush the Creep, he has a fun name like my Odin Monster. lol. but yeah, ive dragged him out before.

The best thing you can do is just start taking them out on leashes when its a light rain, or if needed start after the rain while the ground is still wet and work your way up to raining.. There are various reasons to dogs not wanting to go outside when it rains, some dont like water period, some were never exposed to it or not enough thus not socialized to the weather conditions, etc..

Try and pin point the reason and work with him.

Any hound i've handled has been exposed to heat, cold, snow, rain, etc.. For me they need to be able to perform and function in any condition.. However even going to a pet level, its important for them to be exposed enough to not shun from conditions that aren't nice and sunny.. Otherwise, you run into the problem you have now.
thanks for the advice, i always thought that Odin had a lack of socialization, since i got him from the shelter and all. but what u said makes perfect sense, ill have to work on it with him. i know he likes water enough to chase the hose around the yard lol. so if its still raining when i get home from work, ill see about takin him out on a leash. thanks :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Charlie never liked it much either...he used to try to trick me into thinking he's gone by running down the steps, then running right back up, lol. It didn't work, I'd just make him go out in it. He finally realized that the rain didn't "get" him under the trees.

Nobody else really cares too much about the rain, but Benny doesn't like it when it rains hard, I think because it falls down into his ear canals (he has pricked ears). Of course, the lab loves it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Mine are sissies too when it is raining. They will stand at the door and look at me like," You expect me to go out in that alone?" Sometimes I will follow them out in the rain so they go especially after several ours. Or I will open the front door to let them out and they will run out there forgetting all about the rain thinking they are going to go somewhere special. They do their business and I call them back in.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Charlie never liked it much either...he used to try to trick me into thinking he's gone by running down the steps, then running right back up, lol. It didn't work, I'd just make him go out in it. He finally realized that the rain didn't "get" him under the trees.

Nobody else really cares too much about the rain, but Benny doesn't like it when it rains hard, I think because it falls down into his ear canals (he has pricked ears). Of course, the lab loves it.
i wish i had trees in my yard lol another big storm just rolled in so it looks like ill have to just make him go out tonight.

Mine are sissies too when it is raining. They will stand at the door and look at me like," You expect me to go out in that alone?" Sometimes I will follow them out in the rain so they go especially after several ours. Or I will open the front door to let them out and they will run out there forgetting all about the rain thinking they are going to go somewhere special. They do their business and I call them back in.
i might try out front, Odin love's to go for car rides. tried to jump in my 4Runner one day when i was leavin for work lol.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Boomer is the same way...you'ld think being born and raised in southern oregon he would know how to potty in the rain but nope. Dog loves the river but hates the rain.
Boom will stand on the deck just staring out, like he is expecting the rain will somehow stop if he wills it. he does eventually run like the wind and do his business and then of course do the drama queen excessive shakes like he just got out of the pool.
We do keep a doggy rain coat for those times it is nonstop for days so he can at least attempt a walk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts