Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a few pics though they didn't turn out the best but lily is suddenly getting a TON of red bumps under her fur that dry out and become bloody. When it started out as 2 I was told I didn't need to see the vet but now I'm thinking I might?! Idk what it might be it doesn't seem like fleas...they're taking daily supplements to prevent fleas and I bathe them with flea shampoo quite often and vacuum daily. What could it be? Does mange start out this way?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
probably allergies. My boy just developed them it appears the mast month or 2 with the ragweed and all the new stuff falling from the trees. Performance Kennels is helping me out, and she has a lot of experience on them so she will probably chime in. Her is the thread I find most helpful with suggestions. Have you started Benadryl yet?

http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/36474-tempests-allergy-diary.html

·
Registered
798 Posts
Most likely allergic to what you were using.
Though, it could be demodex
I recommend stop using the flea shampoo right away and give her a (just) a spay down. Then take her in to the vet to get her checked out

EDIT
I like ames post better. Listen to her; she is right Lisa is very knowledgable on a lot of things when it comes to dogs health and such

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have only seen a past dog, two really. With it very bad, I have never seen the start of it.Best I can tell ya is get a skin scraping.

EDIT
please note from my understanding demodex is a type of manege that is passed down through genetics. So, breeding is out of the picture unless you want to produce unhealthy pups.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only had 1 benadryl left so I gave her that. Were going shopping tonight though so ill get more. I'm just concerned about how red it is o__O its like sunburn under her skin but she only goes outside for long periods at night and when she's out during the day she wears sunscreen.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Demodex would start around the mouth, ears, and eyes so I wouldn't say she has that. Sounds like allergies to me and I would give her some benadryl.....Bella weighs 48 lbs and I have been giving her 75 mgs 3 times a day but just went down to only two times a day. How much does Lily weigh?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I also would cut out the bathing because everytime you wash her with something like that you are removing all her natural oils. Her skin needs a break.....You really don't need to run to the vet. I am sure Lisa Performanceknls will chime in and tell you what I am about to tell you but you could order fish flex for her and keep her on the benadryl with the antibiotics. If her bumps are oozing I believe fish flex would be the way to go to prevent infection. Is she itchy? missing any hair? Can you get better pics?

Fish flex
http://www.lambertvetsupply.com/Fis...-Capsules-Nonprescription--pr--001TLFLE500100

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
she is very itchy. I was having to give her benadryl to sleep every night so that's why she ran out today. She isn't missing fur at all though. We are ordering fish flex tonight as leos having skin issues again as well.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
she is very itchy. I was having to give her benadryl to sleep every night so that's why she ran out today. She isn't missing fur at all though. We are ordering fish flex tonight as leos having skin issues again as well.
I literally just went through this two weeks ago with Bella and she looks like new already. Between the cephalexin (fish flex) and benadryl she looks normal again. I really would quit the bathing for awhile though.....have you changed anything or added anything recently to there diets? I would actually run out to the store and get more benadryl and start getting more into her. It needs to build up in her system.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have to wait until my husband comes home but we are getting benadryl tonight. Thank you for posting the link to the fish flex as I had lost it from my bookmarks when I got a new phone. I ordered 100 of the 250mg. I bathed her right before the pics to. Try and get better photos but I think its because they're uploaded from a camera phone that photobucket made them blurry.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did add 1 new thing to her diet... bananas. She never liked them before but recently she's been stealing leos o.o

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Well I have to wait until my husband comes home but we are getting benadryl tonight. Thank you for posting the link to the fish flex as I had lost it from my bookmarks when I got a new phone. I ordered 100 of the 250mg. I bathed her right before the pics to. Try and get better photos but I think its because they're uploaded from a camera phone that photobucket made them blurry.
Your welcome ;) I think the 500 mg would have been a better choice. That is what Bella has been on. If her back has open pustules on it then I think the higher dose would be best.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was worried that the capsules might be bigger if I got a higher dosage though and its already difficult to get lily to take capsules of anything. Even if its hidden in food o.o she hides it in weird places like between her toes or behind the toilet...

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I was worried that the capsules might be bigger if I got a higher dosage though and its already difficult to get lily to take capsules of anything. Even if its hidden in food o.o she hides it in weird places like between her toes or behind the toilet...
between her toes hahaha, ok that HAD to be a weird coincidence, lol. Good luck!!!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I am sick and will not be on tomorrow till the evening, I have clients all day then I am coming home to rest... So I will post what I was talking about here so you do not worry. There is a type of cancer that starts as little bumps like marbles under the skin. It starts off as one, then more pop up and they get big then bleed. It is called Subcutaneous T-cell Lymphoma, I lost a dog at that was 5 years old to this.

Subcutaneous T-cell lymphoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now if they come and go it could be hives from an allergen. If these started around the time the bananas did then I would stop them.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Take the 500mg Capsules and stick them in part of a hot dog and feed it to her. That's how I do it.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Take the 500mg Capsules and stick them in part of a hot dog and feed it to her. That's how I do it.
That's what I did too and it worked like a charm.
Is there any chance this could be from her bathing him all the time then adding in all the stuff that gets put on the fur?Maybe his skin is drying out or having some kind of reaction to all of that?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts