Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I just brought home a 15wk old show-bred Pit (hair loss in pic is the product of a 5 year old autistic kid and scissors :(, it's grown back now). Although I have a lot of experience raising Pits, I have never raised an un-neutered male. I really just want to hear from people who have experience with stud dogs and if any extra training should apply as a puppy to ensure they are well-behaved and non-aggressive once full-grown? I'm not locking him into a stud career by no means but it is a possibility so I thought it would be best to seek advice at an early age. Any advice that can be given regarding the training of stud dogs will be appreciated.

He has a very laid back personality and is very sociable. I have one other spayed female pit and they get along great so far.

Advice appreciated! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I'm not very clear what you are asking? What is it you are looking to train him to do? Nice looking pup, Am Bully? What's his lines?
IMO, you see what a dog ends up being before deciding he is worthy of stud. What's the hair loss from? If it's Demodex, that nixes his breeding career, or should.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Can you elaborate your question? What do you mean by "raising a stud dog correctly?"

..I'll wait for your response before my answer or advice is given.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry about that. The hair loss is the product of a 5 year old autistic kid and scissors haha. It's grown back now.

I really just want to hear from people who have experience with stud dogs and if any extra training should apply as a puppy to ensure they are well-behaved once full-grown? I'm not locking him into a stud career by no means but it is a possibility so I thought it would be best to seek advice at an early age. Any advice that can be given regarding the training of stud dogs will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
theres nothing different in regards to keeping nuts on a bulldog. they still have to be seperated

Reactions: KMdogs

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Stud career? Before you even BEGIN to think about breeding an animal, male or female, they must first prove themselves worthy by being worked in their respective functions and abilities.. In your case, the show ring, WP, etc.. At least, assuming you have an American Bully based on your pups structure (appeared) and color.. Do you know your dogs PED? Registered? Rescued? BYB? What?

Stud and your dog should not come into the same thought in your mind until he proves himself worthy to not only pass his genetics along to future pups but also proves correct to standard of which the breed was created for.

Which even then, show titles doesn't equal breeding worthy.. Nor does "working titles".. Theres more to it than just a "good, solid, structurally correct dog"..

Some ace dogs were also absolutely HORRID producers as well cur producing some ACE dogs.. Still true today and although we aren't talking about game dogs, the APBT... The same concept, foundation and rules are still applied.

The first question is, do you even know what your dog is? AKA pedigree?

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
theres nothing different in regards to keeping nuts on a bulldog. they still have to be seperated
Yep..

Invest in break sticks, crate and rotate UNLESS you want to try to keep instilled a pack mentality however be prepared to crate and rotate as the pup matures.. DA (genetic.. Dog Aggression) runs thick in these Bulldogs.. Training, raising, etc doesn't alter genetics and what these dogs were bred for.. Instilled from day one..

Even though you don't have an American Pit Bull Terrier... Bulldogs/Bandogs (APBT blood), American Staffordshire Terriers, American Bulldogs, American Bullies, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, etc.. The list goes on.. ALL share the same foundation of the "original" Bulldog.. In other words, ALL the same blood bred to different functions and abilities THUS creating different breeds..

Trying to keep this as simple as possible for you...

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
A stud dog is a dog that has been proven in competition to be worth breeding. It is not just a random dog that happens to not be neutered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
All due respect, I'm asking for advice on training. Not a lecture on whether or not I should breed my dog. You are entitled to your opinion, and can either think I'm full of it with a worthless backyard pit and not say anything, or you can give me relevant advice. I could scan my dog's paperwork and post it...but I have no need to prove myself.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Hi, there Megan. Please take a deep breath for me. In answer to your question, no you won't need to do anything extra, as long as you're diligent with the training, starting now, and instill in his mind that you are alpha. When he hits the bratty teenager stage, you'll be challenged, and you'll have to back him down, but consistency is key. Make him earn everything, including your attention. Go to the Training Section on the home page of this forum and read up on Obedience and Socialization Training. That will help you greatly. Especially the thread on the NILIF program.

Now, as for peoples opinions being offered up, you posted in a public forum that cares very much about this breed, from their history and up to their future, what direction the breed is headed with BSL and irresponsible owners creating a negative image for the breed. If you read our motto, it says we're here to educate, promote responsibility and do what needs to be done. That goes for all aspects of dealing with this breed. Basically what I'm saying is, you're going to get other members' opinions whether you asked for it, want it, or neither. We're all simply doing our jobs, as devotees to the preservation of our breed. I'm not saying you have to think like we do; the diversity of the members is what makes this place enjoyable.

I hope I've helped you out some. You've got a cute little pup there, and I hope you do well with him. Please keep us posted.

Reactions: EckoMac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you @TheLadyPit.

I appreciate your advice. I completely understand the concern for where the breed is headed because it faces so much scrutiny, when much of it is not deserved. I am in complete agreeance. I know it is a sensitive subject because there are owners like us who care about the breed's future and reputation, and then there are others who use the breed for their own selfish desires. That is not me.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
You're welcome. I'm glad you understand that we're only here to educate. Basically, what was trying to be conveyed is that you're using the incorrect terminology by referring to Hercules being a "stud". Just refer to him as intact (un-altered) male, and you won't catch so much flack next time. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Possible potential stud dog it is haha. I just want to get the best advice on how to make him as well-behaved as possible so he can be a greater advocate for the breed.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
The breed is in the straights it is not just from those who would harm it intentionally. The problem is, many of those in the new flush of ownership, want to help the breed, they do not understand or see, the big picture. Who can comprehend how breeding your awesome, cute, dog could be a problem? Until you have been around, have seen it first hand, have watched dogs(and yes, even puppies) die, because there is no space for them, no one to take them, it is a concept that is alien, inconceivable.

Have fun with your boy, go out and do things with him. He has a LONG way to go before being worthy of breeding, and even if he isn't ever, he is still capable of great things! Thanks for caring about him enough to look into training and planning ahead as you are!

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
there really is no difference from neut to nonneut. i.e. still no dog park, still cant leave unsupervised, will never be able to be 100% trustworthy with other dogs etc etc.

that dog is also an american bully, not a "pit". we got a great am bully section with some of the best most knowledgeable people in the am bully here. post the pedigree and some can tell you all about your dog and its history etc.

stick around, you might have to swallow your pride now and then but this site will educate you like no other. with proven facts. you and your dog will be better for it, i promise.

Reactions: Vilebeast

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
To quote Sam Neill in Jp III... "Some of the worst things imaginable were done with the BEST intentions."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am by no means here to boost my ego, and I understand the detriment the breed is currently facing. I volunteer daily at my local shelter and am well aware of the statistics. I have owned 7 Pits, excluding Hercules. One adult adoption, two puppies found in local papers (backyard bred), and four purchased from reputable breeders. You know which dogs had better temperaments, less health problems, and represented every aspect of breed standard minus the paperwork? All except the ones I purchased from breeders.

I'm obviously not knocking breeder-bought dogs because Hercules is one. I just don't understand the logic in thinking that just because someone has the money to spend on an expensive puppy with a fancy pedigree, that it automatically means they will care for the dog and it won't end up in a shelter. I have seen plenty of well-bred, gorgeous dogs dropped off by very well-off individuals. The focus should be on the people themselves, not the amount of money in their pockets.

I understand you mean well but attacking everyone who has the slightest intention of breeding their Pit is not going to improve anything! Especially those who obviously care about the behavior of their dog.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
No one here is saying dont breed your dog, they are saying PROVE your dog first, make him breed worthy. Get titled the more the merrier.

The only difference IMO on how to raise a pup is one of three things, its a pet, its for show or you are going to work it ie hunt or guard duty.

So since you mentioned being papered, that means you want to show. There are enough people on here (that have a lot of show titles mind you) willing to help out newbies to the show ring and give good solid advice, try to ask questions and learn.

Since you seem to know the how bad off the breed is, then educate your self on what a worthy dog is.

The only reason anyone here was saying anything about a ped, is so they can help translate your dogs genetics.

The reason everyone here jumped saying dont breed your dog, is because you HAVE A PUPPY, not a stud dog. and IF he is proven worthy then consider breeding him, but only consider it to a female that would better the breed. Also on this thought about once a week, someone jumps on here asking about breeding a dog.

oh and welcome to GP!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts