Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the mom dog which is a husky and I now have two of her male puppies which are half pit and I was wanting advice on raising them. I’ve owned multiple pits in the past and didn’t have issues because they where male/female never 2 males. The one time I had 2 male pits they where older and did fine up until one day where they had an incident and I stepped in. It left me a little traumatized but not to the point where I wouldn’t step in again.
So my question is raising these dogs from a young age and them both being males how do I make sure they don’t fight or become aggressive towards each other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Getting them fixed will help curb any desires to fight over the female. If she goes into heat and they're getting more mature, even when fixed, they could get into it. Start giving them all boundaries and making yourself their leader. If they are lower in rank, they're less likely to act out. Nip any rise to dominance in the butt. Don't let them just sort it out, you're the leader, you sort it out.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since they are puppies and love to play how do I distinguish and stop playing and aggression?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,579 Posts
You're dealing with a mixed bag unfortunately. Littermate Syndrome is real and you can never trust a bull breed not to fight. Altering the dogs won't change genetics. You can get a good 2-10 years without altercations, but there may still come a time where one or both will turn on and you'll be forced to live a crate and rotate lifestyle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get a good guide who knows how to help you do it. I am with the rest of these guys, you could have a good many years and then the right circumstances could mess things up. Certainly I would always be crating if I am not around. Helping them develop some solid calm behaviors, and if you are letting them play, being really thoughtful about what you allow, for how long, etc. I have known some good social pit mixes who lived all together (3 intact males) but it is always a crapshoot, even moreso when you throw in the husky because you never know how temperament traits may combine in a cross. I myself have a very social pit mix, but he will also end a dog in the right circumstance. Anywho, my guide of choice in managing two dogs who will fight is Jay Jack of Next Level Dogs. But different people have different ways. He suits my style and has help me avoid crate and rotate, though we still do a bit of that anyways, especially if life gets stressful because then the dogs pick up on that and become a bit less reliable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts