Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had Cammo since she was 8 weeks old, and is at 6 months right now. i try to consistently take her around people and different environment so she can be comfortable in any situation. but since i have had her she has had about 4-5 instances of being aggressive/unsure of people(never tried to bite, just backing up, growling and barking). i have no idea what triggers it.... no particular race, gender, enviroment has been consistent.

now, im all about her being protective, but i want her to know the appropriate circumstance to do this. The last thing i want is for her to freak and scare someone trying to be friendly and contributing to the publics fear of pits. is this just part of her personality or is this something i can train out of her?

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
not usually a part of their personality from what I have read, they are usually very very people friendly, but they also feed of of you. I got the crap scared out of me one night walking when a guy was hiding from his mother behind a bush, he scared the crap outta me, I jumped and screamed when I saw him and Gargamel barked and lunged at him. Scared the crap out of me, but he went off my reaction, not his own decision. Are surroundings similar in the situations? My boy had problems when he was backed up against a fence or in a hallway with one doorway and he would get spooked when something or someone strange was around and he could not back up or move freely on his own.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have the same issue im working through with one of mine and just like yours never trys to bite just growls, mine is usually with men and of course when i want to spend time to address this issue he stops doing it lol. When your dog does this what is your reaction how are you correcting this? and the people he does this too are they strangers is there maybe a reason he should feel threatened? im not a trainer But i know they will ask these questions as its the same I have been asked and having this info may help get some answers quicker. What kind of collar do you use as well? To me sounds like could be fear. If you can find a trainer with experience in this it may help to do some one on one and pick up some tips on what you can do, Im trying to find a good one here withnot alot of luck lol. But if you have someone in your area qualified it might be worth it. Last thing we want is fear to turn into more then just growling ya know?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
not usually a part of their personality from what I have read, they are usually very very people friendly, but they also feed of of you. I got the crap scared out of me one night walking when a guy was hiding from his mother behind a bush, he scared the crap outta me, I jumped and screamed when I saw him and Gargamel barked and lunged at him. Scared the crap out of me, but he went off my reaction, not his own decision. Are surroundings similar in the situations? My boy had problems when he was backed up against a fence or in a hallway with one doorway and he would get spooked when something or someone strange was around and he could not back up or move freely on his own.
That's a good point too , could be you { or in my case me lol, mine doesn't do this behaviour when with the boyfriend only when i'm around :( , so makes sense}. Are you tense or nervous when people come up?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
has been different situations almost everytime.
1) driving to work with her in the passeneger seat, head out the window, and a girl is jogging on the sidewalk and she starts growling and barking.

2) was at the beer barn and as the guy came close to get my order she starts a very low constant grow and lowers her head.

3) just beginning our walk and a guy starts asking me questions about her and we're talking for a good couple minutes( and shes perfectly fine) then he bends down and calls her over. she slowly takes a few steps towrds him and then all hell breaks loose, she jumps back starts growling and barking.

had her tied up in the back of my truck as i was waiting to get my hair cut, and about 15 people walked by, some petting her and she never had an instance of being aggressive/scared, fully excited and friendly

one thing i know that triggers her is if its really dark and she can barely see the person she'll bark and grow, but as soon as she recognizes you shes just fine. (first hand on this one)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
have you had a physical done on her get her eyes checked? being dark out that would be my 1st thought , perhaps she cant see perfect and gives a good reason for fear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the same issue im working through with one of mine and just like yours never trys to bite just growls, mine is usually with men and of course when i want to spend time to address this issue he stops doing it lol. When your dog does this what is your reaction how are you correcting this? and the people he does this too are they strangers is there maybe a reason he should feel threatened? im not a trainer But i know they will ask these questions as its the same I have been asked and having this info may help get some answers quicker. What kind of collar do you use as well? To me sounds like could be fear. If you can find a trainer with experience in this it may help to do some one on one and pick up some tips on what you can do, Im trying to find a good one here withnot alot of luck lol. But if you have someone in your area qualified it might be worth it. Last thing we want is fear to turn into more then just growling ya know?
i hear ya, thats the last thing i want to happen.
and im a laid back person, when shes done this ive never been tense and dont get tense while shes doing it, i just tell her in a stern voice to stop and try to redirect her attention on me. she definately respects me and knows when she hears my stern voice to stop whatever shes doing, and with anything else i just say stop one time and immediately stops(even in full play mode) but when she does what ive described shes just so on edge all she will focus on is the percieved "threat" and i cant seem to pull her out of it unless i get her completely out of the situation and out of sight.

while i was at work one day my girl was showing her friend(a stranger to Cammo) around the house and Cammo relentlessly followed her friend around the house growling for 30 minutes non stop. then like a flip switched she acted like they were best friends

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
have you had a physical done on her get her eyes checked? being dark out that would be my 1st thought , perhaps she cant see perfect and gives a good reason for fear.
i havnt had a physical done on her and never thought of it being her eyes before but that makes alot of sense now that i think about it.

i take her to the lake every couple weeks and right now the waters low, so there are stumps sticking up out of the water and she freaks out and is clearly in fear. we walked all the way down the lake and she would only walk parallel to me 25 yards through brush, i couldnt force her to come down by the water. something in the dark like a chair makes her very leary and on edge. i dunno, could be a good thing to check out

·
Registered
84 Posts
Might want to look into getting specialized training to make sure everything is ok with the dog and it doesnt just have human aggression traits. Through the training they will evaluate and tell you how far the seriousness is, if at all....

good luck

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
good idea Angel, sounds like it might be worth checking out. Wonder how they do vision tests on dogs? If you get it done, let me know, I'm curious.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
In the old days any "pit bull" that shows ANY type of HA would get pts. That heavy culling is what has made our dogs so friendly with people today.

I would definetly get her checked out like angel said. Its good that she is young so you can nip it in the bud early. God forbid, if it continues or gets worst...you need to get with the breeder and do the necesarry actions...good luck!

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Definitely not aggression... a human aggressive dog would not hesitate at a chance to bite. I haven't read this whole thing because my computer is spazzing -_- but if you want I can contact my friend and connect you with a behaviorist in your area. They might be able to help, or if not simply refer you to someone who can. :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I have a shy girl who will sometimes growl but it's usually at the vet office. She never barks or snaps.....she is just unsure of new people and that is because she lived out in the boonies where she had lack of socialization at the breeders house. She was over 4 months when I got her and missed all the key early socialization periods. I took her to a puppy class and then OB classes with a trainer who was familiar with the breed and she has come out of her shell. I always carry cookies with me so when people are around she can greet them and get a cookie. She will go up to people and sniff them but could careless to be pet by strangers. She is a snob if you ask me lol! I hope you get her issues straightened out soon before she is mature. I would sign up for extra classes so she gets more socializing time. That's what I did.....I took two classes a week instead of just one. Good luck :)

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
I concur, you should make an appointment to get her eyes checked ASAP, but i have another question. How long did you wait to begin socialization? If you're just now beginning to socialize her at 6 mos old, there inlies the problem. Socialization should begin as soon as the pup has had all their shots and is "cleared for take-off" lol. I sure hope it's just a vision problem, and not a temperament problem. If her eyes check out, you need to have a thorough check done on her for any issues you may not be aware of, health-wise. If everything checks out, then unfortunately, you'll need to do what's best for your family, yourself and your pup, as well as the rest of the breed, and cull her. I'm sorry, as I understand that's not what you wanna hear, but we don't need another headliner. I've had to cull my own dogs before, just as other members here have as well. It's never easy, especially when you're attached to the dog, but you have to do what's best and think about everyone's best interest.

·
Registered
274 Posts
How are things going with Cammo? I had to consider PTS ing one of my dogs just a couple of weeks back and it is horrible. I hope that it all works out- at the end of the day you know your dog and what he/ she is capable of. Maybe give her some time and do what needs to be done just to make sure there's not an underlying issue that is causing it. That way you know you've done everything you can.
Good luck.
(PS: I did that and found the problem, it was lack of exercise with the instability of a new environment- dealt with those two things and my dog is fine. There's always hope for a solution).

·
Registered
85 Posts
I didn't read much of the other posts, but it sounds to me like your dog may be fear aggressive. Any form of aggression is highly frowned upon with this breed so I would first question her breeder, the lineage of sire and dam etc. Granted...she could just be "unsound" which in that case you need to contact a breed savvy behaviorist and have them evaluate the dog and have a vet check them out to make sure it isn't anything health related.
My dog is fearful, but personally, I would be damned if he were to growl at someone for approaching him. FA dogs are virtually unstable and if it ever comes down to bite or not...they may bite. Just stay vigilant and contact a behaviorist. It may be an issue that can be worked with =)
Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for everyone's responses!! shes been doing good so far. and when i say grow, to me it isnt a scary aggressive growl. its a very low quiet grow, never shown teeth at anyone (other than me when we're playing obviously). when she has done it its always a trying to pull away from the leash backing up and barking (never lunging forward). i think the big thing is night time, everytime she's done it was at night.
i socialize her ALOT, ever since i got her at 9 weeks she sees tons of people everyday walking her through my college campus

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Maggie was just like that. Just certain people she didn't like getting too close to her. She's grown out of that now at 2 years old. Your dog isn't human aggressive, just wants it's space when it's unsure. I figured it was mostly with someone who had different hair color, a mustache, girl with a huge backpack. Different from what she was used to looking at with me and my wife. She's part o the pack and was just trying to figure out who was allowed near the pack members or not. Now my mail lady takes every opportunity to come to my door to see Maggie and she learned that we're accepting of everybody.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts