Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Last week of my externship and I graduate my vet tech program..woo hoo. :)off subject a dog came it an assumed pit mix. This dogs feet, front and back, were splayed terribly. At least 1/4 inch between each toe. The entire paw touched the ground, completely flat. Didn't help the dogs nails were on their way into the pads. We did X-rays for a limp and the femoral head wasn't in the socket but the socket was completely flat. Working in a inner city clinic i see this often. This dog just made her first birthday and already in terrible condition. After all that her splayed feet, does that come nutrition or bad breeding since her hips are shot already ? She had torn ligament in both knees also. We only X-ray the caudal half of the dog. Couldn't imagine what else we would have found.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Hey everyone. Last week of my externship and I graduate my vet tech program..woo hoo. :)off subject a dog came it an assumed pit mix. This dogs feet, front and back, were splayed terribly. At least 1/4 inch between each toe. The entire paw touched the ground, completely flat. Didn't help the dogs nails were on their way into the pads. We did X-rays for a limp and the femoral head wasn't in the socket but the socket was completely flat. Working in a inner city clinic i see this often. This dog just made her first birthday and already in terrible condition. After all that her splayed feet, does that come nutrition or bad breeding since her hips are shot already ? She had torn ligament in both knees also. We only X-ray the caudal half of the dog. Couldn't imagine what else we would have found.
Splayed paws are usually the result of poor nutrition and poor care on the owner's part. I see it all the time in the bully world.... low/weak pasterns and splayed feet..... Genetics, environmental, and nutrition are the causes whether it be one, two or all of them.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Ugh some are so horrible I can't imagine having to deal with it. And the owners who don't care make me mad. It's one thing to not know but it's another to pretend it's ok and not try to correct it ugh bad feet are the worst!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Ugh some are so horrible I can't imagine having to deal with it. And the owners who don't care make me mad. It's one thing to not know but it's another to pretend it's ok and not try to correct it ugh bad feet are the worst!

I see it every Saturday it's ridiculous..... and i am loud about it if I am just showing.... sometimes I have to bite my tongue if I'm repping I get enough complaints for "being mean" as is lolol..... i am just showing tomorrow in Atlanta lol i have a lot of built up irritation that will probably emerge lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
Im sorry but when 3-4 gens have the same fault only 1 factor plays in. Example avant bloodline. Splayed feet like a mofo... my 1/2 avant bitch.... flat splayed feet... fighting those genetics is like loving away dog aggression....

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Im sorry but when 3-4 gens have the same fault only 1 factor plays in. Example avant bloodline. Splayed feet like a mofo... my 1/2 avant bitch.... flat splayed feet... fighting those genetics is like loving away dog aggression....
Not disagreeing with you trust me..... All the Red Lion dogs bred by Mike Cappo (most of his foundation was bought from Kenny Sonia) have horrid feet..... He sells most of them over to Thailand, Spain, and the Philippines which is why most of the ABKC dogs over there are garbage. They don't know no better. All them dogs go back to Avant, Camelot, and Peterson.

·
Banned
5,496 Posts
I know "t" well. Been at this for aome years specializing in red dogs. Ive talked to most big avant, chevy, dangerzone, camelot, and all mixes of breeders. Ill pm you some funny stuff about avant blood....

As far as Red Lion most of those faults come from the avant blood. Though cam is filled with faults splayed feet and easty westy isnt too common. Rampant and strong all through avant though. All but 1 of my bitches siblings (full and half off her dad) are gross with terrible ankles and stubby front legs.... he mom cleaned her up well but those genetics are playing with fire if you dnt know what youre doing and dont cull heavily.

Check my dogs for nicer chevy, cam/peterson blood. ;) they all aint too bad

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish I could have snuck in a picture. This case by far was the worst I have seen. The same day a man with a litter of pups came in one wasn't doing well he didn't want to spend the money so he threw it in the clinics garbage the actual lobby trash can.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I wish I could have snuck in a picture. This case by far was the worst I have seen. The same day a man with a litter of pups came in one wasn't doing well he didn't want to spend the money so he threw it in the clinics garbage the actual lobby trash can.
Omg ma i would have beat the crap out of him if I'd seen him do that.... the longer you stay in the veterinary world the more crazy ish you'll see .... my friend is a vet and she is always posting up crazy, sad, heartbreaking stuff, I couldn't do it

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not every case is terrible. The job has high points. It just seems like the bad ones stick in your head. I would love to hand these people their asses but I can't. The vet tries to educate and then we go in the back with the are you freaking kidding me conversations. I have a pretty strong stomach but some of these things it's hard to grasp are real.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
The last time I worked at a vet hospital, I remember being called in on a Sunday morning to assist the vet with a toy poodle that had been tied to the trailer hitch of the owner's truck, and the owner supposedly forgot he tied the dog there, and drug him about 1/2 a mile down the road. Poor boy had to be shaved with a #40 blade, several drain tubes put in his shoulders and neck, and other areas on his stomach and hind quarters had to be flushed and some stitched up. That was the worst I saw at that hospital. Sat in on several spay and neuters, including my own dog when I had him neutered. Also assisted with x-rays and euthanasia. Euth was the hardest on us all, especially dogs that had been coming there since pups and we had watched them grow. He was an all animal vet, so we also saw horses, cattle, sheep, goats, and other small pets like birds, mice, guinea pigs, etc. We boarded dogs, also, so it was an interesting job to say the least.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The euths are not to bad when we know they are coming. Last night we had a small dog that ate two chicken carcass. We had it on the X-ray table and it died in my co workers arms. That was rough. Being inner city clinic we see gunshots, stabbings, embedded collars, lots of mange and parvo. It's not often we see a senior dog in decent condition. I'm learning tons being exposed to such different things. But emotional burn out is a problem with the employees

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Yeah, I can imagine. The emotional toll it takes on people who love animals can be really overwhelming at times.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Wow couldn't imagine. Hope it keeps you sane and there are enough good owners for the bad that you do see.

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
So lauren what could cause one of my dogs to have splayed toes and not the others? Capn Morgan has slightly splayed toes. They look worse depending on what surface he's on. Like on carpet they are awful. He's ate the same diet as everybody else and lives in the house... I assumed it was genetics although his sire and dam both appeared to have tight feet.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
So lauren what could cause one of my dogs to have splayed toes and not the others? Capn Morgan has slightly splayed toes. They look worse depending on what surface he's on. Like on carpet they are awful. He's ate the same diet as everybody else and lives in the house... I assumed it was genetics although his sire and dam both appeared to have tight feet.

As I stated, there are 3 possible causes of splayed feet: environment, nutrition, and/or genetics. The possibility here could be too much exercise on hard surface or possibly the surface he was raised on.

I know you said the parents have tight feet so environment might be the cause. Not your fault, he just could be more susceptible. I'll call Bully Doc tomorrow perhaps she might shed a little more light on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts