Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else give there dogs beef bones my AB loves them and eats then up in no time the pit aint keen on them and looks at them like they are from space lol.

covered in meat and bit free from the butchers:)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Yes we do our dogs love them too and keeps them busy in there crates if we are out for the day .

·
Registered
12 Posts
still no

i had to recently dig a bone fragment ot of my male pits mouth he was choking it got stuck in his throat it sared the hell out of me every since then never thats been on my mind every since

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
i had to recently dig a bone fragment ot of my male pits mouth he was choking it got stuck in his throat it sared the hell out of me every since then never thats been on my mind every since
what kind of bone did you give him? there are deff some you need to stay away from.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would only give raw chicken and beef bones myself.my AB destroyed it in no time one big bone aswell lol he loved it ha,got some gizzards today aswell but the pit dint like them either lol weird as she will eat other raw meats she sniffed the gizzards and left them 1st time ive ever seen her turn away from her food lol shes upto 50lbs now 8 months old doing ok.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
yeah,, raw bones are GREAT for dags.. but you do need to always supervise feedings to catch random snafoo's

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
HJ, is that a carcass I see! Lol

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts

Reactions: EL CUCO

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
I too give my dogs beef bones. My rule of thumb is if the dog can close it's mouth over the bone, the bone is too small. Raw bones have several benefits, imo. I don't hesitate to give mine some good raw meaty beef bones.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I used to give my dog marrow bones all the time until I saw this documentary called Food inc which talks about Lead levels and how they are so bad for bones and from the lead in drinking water settles in the bones of the animals, so giving my boy a bone could effect him due to the lead in them. I still give him some every few months, he LOVES them, but I stopped giving them all the time after I heard that... If I new the bones were from organic cows I would not hesitate, just scares me to think of all the stuff they give animals I stopped eating everything but organic USA grown, why shouldn't my pup, lol. ;

As long as the bones are not cooked you should be ok.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have been doing some research, and am actually thing about a totally Raw diet for my hounds. You only have to feed them about 2-4% of their body weight depending on metabolism, and it is even healthy to fast you dogs and only feed em about 4 times a week once they are properly adjusted to the raw diet.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I feed RAW everything to my dogs. Bones are a great calcium source.
Raw Meaty Bone (RMB) is the main part of the diet. You must feed the bones with the meat because that is where the calcium is.

Here is a list of RMB you can feed:

• Chicken (any part)
  • Turkey (any part)
  • Game hens (feed whole)
  • Duck (any part)
  • Pheasant (any part)
  • Quail (feed whole)
  • Rabbit (any part, but it's best to remove the stomach and intestines of wild rabbits due to the risk of parasites)
  • Ostrich and emu necks, ribs, and knuckles
  • Pork necks, ribs, shoulders, and tails
  • Lamb necks, ribs, and breasts
  • Oxtails

Raw Muscle Organs should consist of about 10% of your dog's diet. These meats are

• Livers
  • Kidneys
  • Hearts
  • Gizzards
  • Tripe
These organs can come from chicken, turkey, lamb, or beef. I usually feed chicken/turkey livers and gizzards and beef heart and kidney as well as tripe.

This is what I personally feed:

(MEATS = PROTEIN)
- Chicken "thighs & legs& quarters" w/ bone
- Beef organs "heart, liver, tripe, and kidney"
- Salmon & Tuna
- Goat with organs and bone- ground up
- Whole rabbit carcass with fur- ground up

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
I was waiting for you to bring the info! :) preshiate that Lauren :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
does he eat the fur on the rabbit? that wont cause any issues giving it whole like that unskinned?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Ha my dogs have eaten whole rabbits, chickens, and large birds and they love it! AB they digest it and what they can't gets pooped out. Some dogs leave the skin and others eat it. I go to the butcher and for $6 bucks I get a huge bag of leg bones and knuckles. YUM! lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts