Go Pitbull Forums banner

Raw egg and kibble

Tags
egg kibble raw
16K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  destinoscelgo 
#1 ·
I know science Diet sucks but we have a sensitive stomach pup.
I was wondering if I could mix raw egg in her food?
I know it helps their coat and it adds extra protien that the bad brand foods have in them.

what else can I mix in it? oil ect to help her out more?

#2 ·
You can also add either Flax seed oil or fish oil. I use the capsules and just throw it in the food. Most dogs will gobble up the capsule without any hesitation. If Riley does hesitate with the pill you can cut it and squeeze it on the food. Depending on how generous i feel i give between 1 and 2 capsules a day.

I've heard great things about Salmon Oil as well.

#3 ·
I mix eggs with Dosia's food some times. This might sound a little gross but it might help. So when Dosia was a puppy he was on blue buffalo food. He started having to go out way more than he should and his poo was never hard. After talking with his vet they suggested switching his food and try mixing a little plain yogurt in it. Dosia is now on Chicken soup for the dog lovers soul. He gets his eggs and his yogurt a few times a week and he seems fine now. No more soggy piles. Not sure about your area but here the Chicken Soup dog foods is the same price as Purina so it's an easy choice for us. I hope that helped you, if you find that nothing is working take her to her vet they might have more suggestions for you.

#6 ·
Im not changing their diet to dog food I can't afford. we arent made of money over here. LOL!

where can I get fish oil tabs? if they are cheap we will order some and add it to their food if not we will just gie them raw eggs twice a week
Try some plain yogurt in has natural cultures that might help out her stomach and its cheep too :)

#7 ·
Walmart has them in a gel tab. You just cut it open and squirt it in. OR you can buy Cod oil and it'll do that same thing.

Raw egg is great...I just throw the whole egg in there and let you eat it. I got tired of crushing it up. But I only do one a week.

As for flax seed, I don't do the oil, I actually do the seed or grain of the seed because I use it in my diet. So what daddy gets Jonezie gets...

Plain yogurt works well, Jonezie's stomach has been achy lately so it's been doing well.

Reactions: aimee235
#11 ·
my thread has nothing to do with switching the brand we picked for our dogs so stop please with trying to switch what we feed them. thanks, personal option...we went withscience diet and that is what they will get fed.

i asked about adding eggs and other foods to make it alittle better not about changing their kibble

#12 ·
i think the reason everyone is suggesting a food change is because in your OP you stated "I know science Diet sucks but we have a sensitive stomach pup."
people are trying to help you is all.

do you know what causes your dog to have a sensitive stomach? is your dog still having sensitive stomach issues? what formula are you feeding? is your dog allergic to anything in particular?

reason i ask is my dog was on a quality food (evo red meat) and found out his sensitive stomach was due to the main protein source he is allergic to beef. his vet recommened i find a food that was poultry based and to stay away from beef all together. we made the change and no more stomach issues for over 1 year.

#14 ·
My vet was a science diet pusher...my lola has allergies like a mofo. Well guess what, the corn in the Science Diet was what was upsetting her. Switiched slowly to Solid Gold and havent had any stomache upsets since. If expence is the issue, there are alot of foods comparable in price to S.D. S.D. is just pure crap I.M.O....can add to crap but it is still crap!

#15 ·
correct me if im wrong but in my opinion science diet is ridiculously priced.. I feed purina puppy chow and supplement with about 1 egg a week and some deer meat cooked/raw sometimes. and sometimes some old steaks.. I know u should look for a food with meat instead of meal but seems like this keeps my dog really healthy and active and lookin good..

#16 ·
This person STATES
I know u should look for a food with meat instead of meal
HMM Ingredients in his Puppy Chow (all in bold is NOT MEAT)

Whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), barley, animal digest, calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, fish oil, salt, potassium chloride, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, choline chloride, zinc sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, zinc proteinate, DL-Methionine, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, brewers dried yeast, manganese proteinate, added color (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 2), niacin, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, Vitamin B-12 supplement, thiamine mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

Sorry but wheres the MEAT????

#19 ·
Excuse me but he said I KNOW you should feed a food with meat. He supplements with meat......you might want to read the whole post.

to the op. I feed Vendetta an egg a day. Some will say this is too much but it is working just fine for us. I mix whey protien in her egg. If I have meat dripping I will use that instead of the egg but she gets her eggs. I also gie my dogs cod liver oil and yogurt ( organic).

#20 ·
Excuse me but he said I KNOW you should feed a food with meat. He supplements with meat......you might want to read the whole post.

to the op. I feed Vendetta an egg a day. Some will say this is too much but it is working just fine for us. I mix whey protien in her egg. If I have meat dripping I will use that instead of the egg but she gets her eggs. I also gie my dogs cod liver oil and yogurt ( organic).
Why do you give Milk Whey to your dogs?
I am just curious b/c Cow's Milk is not good for dogs at all unless in it full state. Not to mention not good for puppies at all.

Could you please explain ..

Thanks Sharon

#21 ·
I feed her whey protien because it contains Tryptophon which is serotonin if a dog has low levels of this in their sysytem it can cause agression. I started V on this supplement when she was 7mos old. She is only showing a little DA towards one dog. She is very happy and has good focus at flyball even with other dogs going crazy. There have been studies done abut Springer Rage and using serotonin to curb it so I thought I would do this with my dog as well.

#23 ·
Whey protein side effects
Although whey protein is a natural substance in food, it is not 100 percent risk-free. There are some minor side effects of whey protein, you should know..

Allergic Side Effects
Rash or hives
Itching
Wheezing or difficulty breathing
Excessive coughing
Diarrhea or blood in the stool
Vomiting

Common Side Effect symptoms:
Increase in stool frequency
Loss of appetite
Thirsty
Bloating
Cramps

Long Term side effects
- Kidney problems: Taken for long periods of time, development of kidney disease, including kidney stones.
- Liver problems: Has cause liver damage related to ketosis. Ketosis is characterized by elevated levels of ketones in the blood, is considered very dangerous, because it can lead to liver damage may lead to liver stress.
- Joint issue: Long-term consumption can also lead to inadequate calcium deposits in the bones, which can lead to osteoporosis and other common problems.

Short and brief description of foods that naturally increase your levels of serotonin.

Which foods put the mood-altering chemical into a person's system. The answer cautions that attempting to raise serotonin levels through eating alone.
Carbohydrate-rich meals often increase serotonin levels... Believe it or not, candy and sweets, which are simple carbohydrates, have the greatest impact, but the effect will only last 1 - 2 hours. Complex carbohydrates (rice, potato, pasta) may increase serotonin levels, but not to the same extent because the protein content of these foods might actually inhibit serotonin production.

Carbohydrates trigger the release of insulin into the blood stream, which clears all the amino acids from the blood, except tryptophan. When competitors are out of the way, the tryptophan floods the brain, where it's converted to serotonin. Whole-grain breads, crackers, pasta, rice, cereal, and fruit all have the potential to increase your serotonin level.
This is more designed for human consumption when it comes to grain carbohydrates

(((But the list below are for humans and dogs.)))

Foods with tryptophan:
- Elk Game Meat (raw/cooked) = 746mg
- Seaweed (raw) = 739mg
- Seaweed (dried) = 641mg
- Eggs Whites = 673mg
- Halibut (cooked w/ skin) = 593mg
- Quail (meat only raw) = 576mg
- Goat (raw/cooked) 564mg?
- Duck (raw/cooked) = 543mg
- Salmon (raw/cooked) = 516mg
- Turkey (raw/cooked) = 509mg
- Rabbit (raw/cooked) = 550mg
- Tuna (raw/cooked) = 493mg

My list can keep going but these are excellent foods for dog to be able to get the Tryptophan to keep the levels of Serotonins in their system

Yes, Sharon (My Mikado) is correct on the fact that it has it in it but here is reasons why you should not give Whey to your dogs. Sharon I am not going at you so please do not think this is why I did my research. I did it so others do not automatically believe they can just start feeding this to there dogs.

#25 ·
Please help out in the study Sharon... I posted for education only
But could you please post or PM me the link to this study .. I would love to read it.

Thank you

#28 ·
If you are going to feed an egg, they advice you give them the WHOLE egg raw with the shell.
Do not give them an egg a day to start. Start by adding once a week...then up to twice. Usually it is advised on not being given every day since there is so much protein.
However, some give an egg every other day and have no issues.
My dogs get two eggs a week. They were getting one egg a week while on kibble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.