Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy gave me this recipe to feed my pit every other day. "Every other day give your dog half a pound of beef with half a piece of garlic (chopped up), and then mix together with the beef. when your done put a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and a teaspoon and a half of flaxseed oil. Mix it together with the beef and 2 cups of dog food." That was the recipe but I'm not sure to give it to my dog he is a year old but I'm worried about giving it him. He told the breeder of his dog gave it to him so what are the facts and your opinions about it and also if you can some links.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
is that all you are feeding? Or are you supposed to feed other meals in between??? What are your goals?? What is your dogs physical status?? What kind of beef(fat content)??? Are you feeding any bones??
I would also not feed the garlic, it's only purpose really would be to get rid of fleas due to it's high sulfur content, but garlic can be toxic to dogs in high doses and there are other things that can be fed with a high sulfur content that isn't toxic JMO...I also feel feeding such a 1 dimensional diet can cause deficiencies in some areas. There are a lot of good links and information in previous threads, I suggest you do a search of "raw diets" if you are interested in really feeding a raw diet I wouldn't mind helping you, but there is a lot of research that would need to be done on your end...I think it is important to know why you are feeding your dog certain things, and how to compliment certain foods with others as to not cause the dog to be deficient in areas.

Flax seed is a good source of Omega 3 but you would also want to balance in some Omega 6 Fatty Acids as well roughly a 1:3 ratio Flax seeds alone possess a 4:1 Omega3:Omega6 ratio...(I actually just learned this earlier today)
I use a supplement called Martin's K-9 Energol that is a good source of Omega3 and Omega6 essential fatty acids and compliments a raw diet nicely.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts