Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all :)

I am unfortunately needing to find a home for one of my pits, her name is Coco, and is almost 4 yrs old, she is the sweetest dog, but my two pits got into a fight when I was home alone with them, and I tried to break it up, but I got a K-9 tooth in the arm, and had to undergo surgery(for the air in my muscles, because it was deep) My dogs did not attack me nor did they mean to hurt me, I put my arm in a dog fight, and I was bound to get bit(especially since I am 120lb female) I do not blame either of them, it is my own fault for not being prepared for that to happen. I have accepted that my two females are just not good together in the same home. They have had a few scuffles in the past 3 years (even after training) and it is time to put my foot down and realize they are great dogs individually, just not together. We have kept them seperated for a few months, since my surgery, and my sweet Coco, has anxiety and does not like to be away from us when we have the other one out.
I need some info on finding her a good home. I do not want her euthanized so I am staying away from SPCA, as I have heard that they will put them down.

**Any info will be so helpful!** thanks in advance :)

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Crate and rotate, if yo ulove her that much, put her in a caret while you have the other female out. Also are the both spayed? And do you have a breakstick? Most of the people on here have multi-dog homes and crate and rotate works best, if she has anxiety try working her out before you put her up in her crate to let the other one out. I had to do this with my two boys, after 2 yeras the white boy decided to challenge his dad, the red dog, after the second fight, crate and rotate worked best, keep both crates int he same room so that CoCo can see you and give her a toy or a bone to chew while she is in there, but I do think with some exercise, wear her out, before you put her in her crate it will help a lot, this is only my opinion, you may get other answers from other people. Good Luck, btw I am sorry you got bit but at least you know that it was your fault, hurts thought doesn't it, lol. Hugs

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
So why would you have to of these dogs and not expect them to fight???

It so sad to see the dog out of a home with the people it has grown attached to because you did not research nor do you understand the type of dog you own. Hopefully you can find someone who will take her and accept her for the dog she is not the dog they want her to be.....

Reactions: apbtmom76

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have been crating and rotating for 4 months now, in the same room and Coco has so much anxiety that she breaks out of the crate and actually hurts herself, she bends the door and we even run her for an hour before she goes in, she pants and cries and its getting worse as the days go on. I do love my dogs, but she deserves a better home than this. My fiance and I work 40 hours a week and we leave her in the house now, so she will not hurt herself trying to break from her crate. Her poor nose was all scratched up the other day and she's usually successfull at breaking out, but the other day, I super locked it and she made her nails bleed by trying to get out :( When I get home, i run them both again for about an hour a piece. It is becoming too stressful in my home, for them and myself. She is the kind of dog that needs lots and lots of attention and wants to be around people all the time, but obviously, we have to go to work.

I love my dog so much, that I KNOW she deserves a better home that can provide her with more attention and time.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Ok so you leave her home alone for hours on end, not saying you don't need to work, I do understand that, are you mentally stimulating her as well, and why not talk to your vet about some doggie downers, my red boy has his own prescription for Xanax cause of his anxiety, but it got to where I didn't need ot give it to him if I worked him physically and mentally, are you correcting her when she tries to get out, correcting the scratching and things. SOrry I didn't mean to sound harsh, just seems that if you really wanted to keep her you would try to figure out other solutions, what about a kennel outside with a top or a chain set up for her. Keep her contained and work her hard, a tired dog is a happy dog. I for one would never get rid of my dogs for the reasons you stated above but that is just me, as I said good luck, I hope you find a great home for her or figure something out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not come on this forum for anyone to be rude with their comments nor their personal opinion about myself. I came to this forum for help on this matter. I have had my dogs for 3 years now, and I am not happy about having to do this. But I am doing what is best for my dogs. If I could keep them both, I would. But I know what is best, and re-homing her with a family that could give her more time and attention is best.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
As I said, I was NOT trying to be harsh and not giving you a personal opinion about yourself, I said this was my personal opinion on what to do, you asked, so I am telling is all. I'm out, good luck with whatever you decide to do, I hope she finds a home where someone will give her what she needs.

Reactions: Joewilly

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As I said, I was NOT trying to be harsh and not giving you a personal opinion about yourself, I said this was my personal opinion on what to do, you asked, so I am telling is all. I'm out, good luck with whatever you decide to do, I hope she finds a home where someone will give her what she needs.
I do not feel ur comment was rude, thank you for clarifying your post. and for the good advice :)

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
If you love her so much you'd find a way to make it work. Downers for the crate, outside kennels both are great ideas. You took on the responsibility of a second same sex dog and can't just bail because they're acting like 2 female pitbulls. The problem I have with the rehoming is that it always seems like they wind up getting a second puppy a few months later, hoping it works this time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So why would you have to of these dogs and not expect them to fight???

It so sad to see the dog out of a home with the people it has grown attached to because you did not research nor do you understand the type of dog you own. Hopefully you can find someone who will take her and accept her for the dog she is not the dog they want her to be.....
it is sad isn't it.. but only if you knew me, or my family, or my dog you wouldn't jump to conclusion that i didn't do my research. or maybe your having a bad day and feel the need to beat me while i'm down. thanks Moderator!

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
I look forward to pics, we all love pics, thank you for not takin what I said the wrong way, I do wish you luck, as I said I would never re-home one of mine, I would find a way to make it work, sometimes it just doesn't happen that way, I do understand, just throwing some ideas out there is all. Hugs

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
If she doesn't want to deal with having to crate-n-rotate and keeping her dogs in that lifestyle, I'd rather her rehome them to someone who would put that effort into their care. She obviously made a mistake in getting two same-sex dogs of this breed, has tried crate-n-rotate, and it's not working for her. Let her get out of her mistake instead of digging herself deeper and ending up with one or the both of the dogs dead or someone hurt.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you love her so much you'd find a way to make it work. Downers for the crate, outside kennels both are great ideas. You took on the responsibility of a second same sex dog and can't just bail because they're acting like 2 female pitbulls. The problem I have with the rehoming is that it always seems like they wind up getting a second puppy a few months later, hoping it works this time.
downers for the crate is a GREAT idea and I will be asking my vet this week at her appt. but it is not just the crate, it is being away from us while we are with our other dog. but I am willing to exhaust all options.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
You came here asking for help and advice, just because you dont like or agree with what your being told doesn't mean you have to take it personally. You may have done research but apparently you didn't do much given it sounds like you were not prepared at all for the fighting and the training remark, you cant train genetics. You can take the dog out the [] but not the [] out the dog. Especially owning two now you should have done more research, if anything hopefully that experience taught you for the next time.

As to the crate anxiety, training and proper exercise daily could help resolve this issue if you wanted to but it sounds like you want to just take the easy way and rehome due to lack of time, apparently. Which if your giving up on them that easily i wish you luck trying to rehome them, i would highly recommend you stick around and continue to learn about the APBT and their past, to both benefit you and your relationship with your pup if you chose to do so. Owning this type of dog you need thick skin, you shouldn't get so offended for people asking questions to get a better understanding of your situation or giving answers you don't agree with.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
at least she is looking for a good home , and not dumping it in a shelter , I hope you do a contract or something to insure there is no shelter future. Its easy for us to say crate and rotate but the average person on here doesnt have a dog expressing the anxiety she seems to be seeing in her girl. If anyone has ideas to cure the dogs anxiety maybe thats an option but we arent in her place to judge her situation. Hope everything works out for your dog.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If she doesn't want to deal with having to crate-n-rotate and keeping her dogs in that lifestyle, I'd rather her rehome them to someone who would put that effort into their care. She obviously made a mistake in getting two same-sex dogs of this breed, has tried crate-n-rotate, and it's not working for her. Let her get out of her mistake instead of digging herself deeper and ending up with one or the both of the dogs dead or someone hurt.
you are just plain rude. you don't know me or my situation at all. but thanks for your ignorance.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
LOL.

If you think I was rude, you have another thing coming. Being matter-of-fact about your situation is not being rude. Everything I've said is something I took from YOUR posts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.