Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just goy my dog 3 weeks ago and about the 3rd day in he started getting really bad smelling gas. Im feeding him Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy Formula. Is it the food? He doesn't seen to be under any distress stomach wise. He seems very happy. Unless he is playing with us or out for a walk his energy level around the house is very low, he just lounges around which i dont mind but is it normal? Also he is shedding alot and is getting lighter in color but is ending up with a darker "stripe" down his back, n e advice on whats going on there? Sorry this ended up being several question and sorry if n e of them seem silly or dumb but i havent had a dog in a wile. Here are some pics.

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u418/OsbiGarcia/c9c0fa8e.jpg

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u418/OsbiGarcia/98257c9c.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried to find out but the original owner was going to take him to pound and a cousin of mine took him and gave him to me. I have no contact with the original owner. Hes got about a 2 weeks worth of food left. My brother feeds his pups Innova and gave me some so im gona transition him in to that over the next 3 weeks or so.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Welcome! I would think his belly doesn't agree with something. Just slowly transition and try different kids until you are happy. You can also try to add some pumpkin puree, not the cans for pies, but plain pumpkin. It helps with their belly's. I have also heard some probiotics added to the food might help regulate the good bacteria in the belly. I used yogurt to act as a probiotics not the powder. Check out the pet food comparison sticky, and post some pictures!!!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
my boy went through something similar. we battled digestive problems for about 9 months. even the color change sounds familiar. his dorsal stripe became very pronounced and he was losing hair like crazy.
tried Wellness... deadly gas and cowpie consistency. Innova... gas so bad it should be illegal and liquid stool.
Taste of the Wild set him straight. but this stuff right here REALLY helped...
OptaGest® for Dogs
once his nutrition was balanced he shed once more. his coat grew in dark and glossy. he changed from gray to brown. his nails were much better too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Innova... gas so bad it should be illegal and liquid stool." Dang, as stated before this is what Im trying now. Im gona get some of that powder to add it in. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
"Innova... gas so bad it should be illegal and liquid stool." Dang, as stated before this is what Im trying now. Im gona get some of that powder to add it in. Thanks.
well every dog is different. i wasn't making a statement about the Innova brand. i'm just saying that some dogs can eat ANYTHING and they are fine. some dogs, like mine, may have to try a few brands before they find one that agrees with their system.
the OptaGest is only a digestive aid that can help the transition. after 2 large bags of food i started to scale back the optagest. now he doesnt use it at all.
good luck.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
When I got my puppy he had HORRIBLE gas. I mean clear out a room gas lol. Once we changed his food from what the owners were giving him he was fine. I did try Blue buffalo once and that gave him bad gas too so I switched from that. I gave him yogurt and that helped calm his stomach alot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts