Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My dog developed what I thought was a UTI- she was frequently urinating, a lot of squatting during her walks, and during some of her squatting there was some blood spotting.

I dropped her off to the vet and was told that her urinalysis showed that she had some crystals and that she had a UTI. They stated that she was overweight (she's 79 lbs) and that she had a recessed vulva that was created b/c of her weight. The doctor wants to prescribe 2 medicines Zeniquin $180 ad Clavamox- $118 and for her to be placed on a special diet Urinary SO Moderate Calorie that only Petsmart, the store attached to them sells.

I love my baby to death but I honestly can't afford $300 in medicine. The vet said that grain free eating was a scam and that I need to switch her food (she eats Blue Buffalo Grain Free and Pure Balance Grain Free).

I understand that they are the experts but I am scratching my head at the advice. Does anybody have input on this? Any advice regarding the medications? The office said that there are no generic alternatives.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
The first thing I would do is ask your vet why they want your dog to take TWO antibiotics. That's a bit over kill if you ask me. If she needs something stronger they should be able to provide that in a single prescription.
What is the exact food they recommended?
If a vet, who deals with pet weight dogs, is telling you your dog is fat... then it's probably time to reduce her food intake and increase her exercise. It's hard to see sometimes when your own dog is getting fat. The best way to look at it is like this. If you look down on your dog while she's standing and there is no tuck (curve in between ribs and hips) then your dog is overweight.

Welcome to GP. We love pictures!! We want to see your beautiful chunky girl.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply!

The doctor recommended Royal Canin Urinary SO Moderate Calorie food.

I uploaded a pic to my profile. How can I get more pics at the bottom like yours?

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Thanks for your reply!

The doctor recommended Royal Canin Urinary SO Moderate Calorie food.

I uploaded a pic to my profile. How can I get more pics at the bottom like yours?
I have to run to the dentist and then I'll dig a little bit for you on the food.

Upload to photobucket and then copy and paste the image link into the thread and you can post pics that way.

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
OK. Everything that I'm coming across says something different for each type of crystal. Did the vet tell you which kind she has?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts