Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 3 month old pittbull puppy named Athena, who we have a hard time getting her focus off other dogs. Yesterday we brought her to puppybsocializing class, an the woman runnig it says she es to stimulated and focused on other dogs and that it is red flag behavior that wr cannot get her attention away from the dogs and back onto us. She ended up seperating her and having us try some focuing training. What are peoples exerience with this behavior. Is it really a red flag? Does anyone have any advise ? She does not seem to be aggressive but when they seperated us the energy level dropped among the group. Thank you in advance

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Not really a red flag, just an excuse from a clown who pretends to train dogs. Nothing about a 3 month old pup is a red flag. Read the stickies about puppy socialization....there's tons of info here. Best to find a GOOD trainer who KNOWS this breed. Not some generic person who labels a pup with that crap

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Good post. Yeah sounds like they didn't want to deal with a high energy PUPPY. Find a good trainer like redog said nothing that can't be managed. Worry about now not he future an you'll be good. Don't expect the worst and strive for the best!

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I hate how people will try to pawn themselves off as trainers and then dont know shit about a breed or certain behavior. You have a high energy pup that needs to you to teh take control. You need to work on focus it is easy and can be done multiple times a day. Grab a treat or small toy hold it in your hand (be sure to switch up hands during your training). Hold your arms out to your sides like a cross. As the pup is watching the toy/treat ( which ever your pup likes the best) as soon as you pup looks at your face. Give the treat/toy say good girl Watch Me or what phrase you want to use when you want her to focus on you. I used "focus" for Vendetta for BaWaaJige it is " to Me". If you are using a toy I would have the pup on a leash so you have control. Let the pup play for a second and take it away and do this again. Soon Athen will realize that she is to look at you when you say this. Then change it up move your hands to different positions. sit down and do it. Make sure you work on this every place. outside in teh car on walks. It is easy and fun for both you and your dog.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
We have a 3 month old pittbull puppy named Athena, who we have a hard time getting her focus off other dogs. Yesterday we brought her to puppybsocializing class, an the woman runnig it says she es to stimulated and focused on other dogs and that it is red flag behavior that wr cannot get her attention away from the dogs and back onto us. She ended up seperating her and having us try some focuing training. What are peoples exerience with this behavior. Is it really a red flag? Does anyone have any advise ? She does not seem to be aggressive but when they seperated us the energy level dropped among the group. Thank you in advance
Don't go back. Not only does that " trainer" not know the slightest thing of value about the breed , the socalled " trainer" knows little of value about canines and their behavior in the general sense.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
them using the term "red flag behavior" is a red flag that you need to find a better trainer and not a Millan wannabe

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
them using the term "red flag behavior" is a red flag that you need to find a better trainer and not a Millan wannabe
:goodpost:
I can't stand that guy and his stupid show. You don't need to poke prod and kick a dog to give it a correction and that tssst crap drives me crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I play the focus game with Jones. He is a little older than Athena. I find that if I am near distractions I have to use a high value treat, but if I'm at home I use his kibble. I've noticed an improvement when I take him for a stroll in the afternoons.

I try change his environment to for training one day a week so that he can get used to different things. It is a challenge when there is lots going in around him, but he is getting better at it. The trainer I am with keeps telling me to try and be more interesting than dirt, because sniffing the ground can be incredibly exciting for a dog. lol

I really hope you're able to find a good trainer to help you

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone, we have started focus training ourselves. She is actually showing great improvement. I think the trainer just has a thin against pitbulls, she tends to take notice of her and single her out more than the other dogs. It is just a puppy socializing class so the woman does not do training

1 - 14 of 14 Posts