Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Boss is registered with UKC as APBT. He is Am Bully and was registered before UKC recognized the Bully. He is coming up on a year old. As most of you know, the UKC now allows you transferring from APBT to Am Bully after the dog is one year old. I'd like to hear opinions about doing this. I dont know if I'll show him ever. Maybe... who knows? I just would like to hear what you guys think are the pros and cons about transferring to Am Bully with the UKC.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
There was a recent update released on the UKC website, I'm not sure if you've seen this yet: United Kennel Club: United Kennel Club Announces Additional Information Regarding the American Bully Breed. The UKC moved the American Bully from the terrier to the companion group and announced that next year they will begin holding conformation competitions.

Personally the UKC is looking more and more promising to me for my girl since she's probably going to end up being Classic and there seems to be a shift in the ABKC community away from the Classics and towards the more extreme classes which I'm not really too happy about.

Bullygal was at an ABKC show last weekend and witnessed ribbons in the Classic class going to the "bullier" dogs despite obvious faults and the cleaner look of the more classic looking classic dogs. If ABKC continues this shift towards the extremes of more bone, bigger, shorter, wider, etc is better than a clean and correct animal then I most certainly will be focusing more on UKC than ABKC.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a recent update released on the UKC website, I'm not sure if you've seen this yet: United Kennel Club: United Kennel Club Announces Additional Information Regarding the American Bully Breed. The UKC moved the American Bully from the terrier to the companion group and announced that next year they will begin holding conformation competitions.

Personally the UKC is looking more and more promising to me for my girl since she's probably going to end up being Classic and there seems to be a shift in the ABKC community away from the Classics and towards the more extreme classes which I'm not really too happy about.

Bullygal was at an ABKC show last weekend and witnessed ribbons in the Classic class going to the "bullier" dogs despite obvious faults and the cleaner look of the more classic looking classic dogs. If ABKC continues this shift towards the extremes of more bone, bigger, shorter, wider, etc is better than a clean and correct animal then I most certainly will be focusing more on UKC than ABKC.
Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks Carriana! We plan to attend the ABKC nationals in NJ in November. Not Boss and I, the misses and I. We havent had an ABKC show close to us at all. I've been dying to see one in person for that reason.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
Ugh yeah, the Judges at the show were telling Classics that they weren't bully enough and choosing what looked like to me a dog that should be in the Standard class.

I think I will be staying away from ABKC and looking more towards RKC and UKC. There is an RKC show next weekend that I'm hoping will have fair judging.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
I will add that the show I attended in Oregon in July didn't seem to be as biased when it came to the Classic class specifically but there does seem to be much less emphasis on Classics overall. ABKC folk love the bullier dogs, there's no doubt about it. I love a nice Classic though.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I will never register my bullies as UKC American Bullies. There is only one registry for my dogs and that is the ABKC. All but two of my dogs are ABKC registered only.

Q. Are pedigrees from other registries accepted for American Bully applications? Are open pedigrees also accepted?
A. Pedigrees from ABKC and other registries are accepted, encouraged and invited; however, they are not required for American Bully Single Application consideration at this time. As is the typical policy for all-breed registries world-wide when establishing foundation stock, applications with open pedigrees will also be considered for registration. When establishing foundation stock, or when we recognize a new breed, UKC has long accepted hand written pedigrees for Single Registration of most breeds as we are doing for the American Bully breed. (again, this is common practice for many century old registries world-wide.) Many breeders and dog owners keep their own records for foundation stock. This is especially the case since most other dog registries do not include pedigrees directly on their registration certificates and instead sell and print them separately. UKC is unique in that the UKC Performance Pedigree® is printed directly on the Permanent Registration Certificate. (Performance Pedigrees® contain information for each dog in the pedigree, including: coat color, number of offspring produced, and the number of titles earned by those offspring).

Q. Will there be different varieties , sizes, or classifications for American Bullys other than the one described in the breed standard?

A. At this time, UKC has absolutely no plans to add classes for or recognize other breeds or varieties of American Bullys.

The problem with the hand written pedigrees on an already established breed is that they are basically saying "go ahead mix your bulldog in but put whatever name and we will accept your pedigree and register your dog as a UKC bully." Enough of that already goes on with paperhanging in the bully world. There isn't a secret island of bullies people are going to use to as foundation stock for the UKC. They are the same dogs that the ABKC has been registering since 2004.

I will have nothing to do with the UKC American Bully as they will probably take the dogs in a terrier direction. They can keep that ish. Furthermore, judging all dogs together is just stupid. I know having 5 classes in the ABKC can be confusing but it makes a lot of sense if you truly understand the standard.

ABKC all day every day here at Snatch-A-Bull Kennels. :)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Oh yeah and the UKC ain't ready for bullies to come to their shows. lololol

Sometimes they have 100 dogs at an all breed show and I've registered as many as 150-200 bullies at one event.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts

Carriana, a TRUE CLASSIC dog will still be bullier than any UKC APBT. They aren't supposed to look like a terrier.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
That also goes to knowing your judges. I will tell you now that both of those judges like a bullier dog. That's how they always pick. And one of them I would never show under period.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Just my opinoin Lauren but having 5 diffrent standards for one breed is an invataion to mix and have lower standards. My thoughts on the out side looking in, could you shed som light on the point of having so many standards for one breed? I know other breeds do the same but rarely do they vary so much in apperance.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Just my opinoin Lauren but having 5 diffrent standards for one breed is an invataion to mix and have lower standards. My thoughts on the out side looking in, could you shed som light on the point of having so many standards for one breed? I know other breeds do the same but rarely do they vary so much in apperance.
Rudy, there is only one standard. All dogs are to be bred to the Standard class standard with amendments made in Pocket and XL for height and bone and substance for the Classic and Extreme class.

Pockets and XLs are determined by their adult height. Pocket males are 17" and under at the withers and females are 16" and under. XL Males are 20″ - 23″ at the withers and females over 19″ - 22″ at the withers.

Both classes exhibit the same breed type but one is shorter and one is taller. XL class allows for a little loose skin around the neck and a slightly higher rear is forgiven but it shouldn't be too much.

Extreme class is just a standard dog with more bone and substance with a tiny allowance for a high rear because of the overall mass of the dog. Yes, most extremes are a mess; however, there are several Extreme CHs and one GR CH that are excellent examples of their respective class.

Last, the Classic class is a standard dog with less bone and substance. They might have more of a UKC body type; however, they should still have bully traits such as blocky/heavy heads; short/square muzzles; heavier bone, muscle, and compact body.

Both Classic and Extreme have the same height requirement as the Standard class, which is males 17″ - 20″ at the withers and females under 16″ - 19″.

This is our Pocket ABKC/RKC CH Hemmi

This is our Standard ABKC CH Tum Tum

This is our Classic ABKC CH Shox

And this is Extreme ABKC GR CH Big Poppa (#1 dog in the country last year with 36 BOBs) bred and owned by Mo Barrow of Barrows Blue Bullies

That is what an Extreme dog should look like, not that sloppy high reared crap people think is "bad azz."

Anyway, all of those dogs are bred to the standard without sacrificing breed type. They all look similar but their heights are different and their bone and substance but overall they look like the same breed.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Nice I see, Kinda still dont see the need for an extreme. But I see how there is no diffrence from the other three. If you didn't know the the hieghts you couldnt tell the difference from pics. Thanks I kind see.

I am guilty of doing what I always tell other not to do. Dont confuse what you see for what is right!

Reactions: ThaLadyPit

·
keep it REAL
971 Posts
There was a very interesting question and answer article in the Fall Episode of the gazette that went rather well with this topic. Hope some here have read the article.
Actually every episode is much the same being packed with great information.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Yeah I read that the one where the ADBA states the reason why they don't except the Bully as a seperate breed? I meant to reread it but havnt got around to it.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Nice I see, Kinda still dont see the need for an extreme. But I see how there is no diffrence from the other three. If you didn't know the the hieghts you couldnt tell the difference from pics. Thanks I kind see.

I am guilty of doing what I always tell other not to do. Dont confuse what you see for what is right!
I guess it is confusing to those who have no experience with the breed and the ABKC. I forget that not everyone eats, sleeps, breathes this stuff like I do.

Ah, the Extreme was put in place initially so that dogs like Kurupt would have a place within the registry and people could show off their dogs as that was what the ABKC was started for; however, things did spiral out of control and asshole "wanna be breeders" did what they wanted and took it to the next level resulting in some horrific looking dogs.

The purpose of the Extreme class wasn't to allow fucked up dogs but many people interpreted it as that. Now we can't do away with the class because that would leave hundreds of dogs without a class to show in. Just know that there are some well bred Extremes out there and they aren't all train wrecks.

·
keep it REAL
971 Posts
Yeah I read that the one where the ADBA states the reason why they don't except the Bully as a seperate breed? I meant to reread it but havnt got around to it.
Yes Sir - that is the one! I recently tried to "blog" on yahoo, Couple days ago on a hot thread, about a rescue dog. It was on yahoo.

I may add a link, so folks here can check out the article.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Yeah man you should make a thread out of it get some opinions on it.

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
I guess it is confusing to those who have no experience with the breed and the ABKC. I forget that not everyone eats, sleeps, breathes this stuff like I do.

Ah, the Extreme was put in place initially so that dogs like Kurupt would have a place within the registry and people could show off their dogs as that was what the ABKC was started for; however, things did spiral out of control and asshole "wanna be breeders" did what they wanted and took it to the next level resulting in some horrific looking dogs.

The purpose of the Extreme class wasn't to allow fucked up dogs but many people interpreted it as that. Now we can't do away with the class because that would leave hundreds of dogs without a class to show in. Just know that there are some well bred Extremes out there and they aren't all train wrecks.
I see that. In my eys ( which I am try to open a little more to the bullies) It just seem as a place for dogs that don't fit standard, I don't see why it is allowed that dogs from same family are allowed to look so different. I see that a correct extreme is much better then most you see advertised.

·
ONE BAD MOTHAPHUCKA
3,237 Posts
Rudy, there is only one standard. All dogs are to be bred to the Standard class standard with amendments made in Pocket and XL for height and bone and substance for the Classic and Extreme class.

Pockets and XLs are determined by their adult height. Pocket males are 17" and under at the withers and females are 16" and under. XL Males are 20″ - 23″ at the withers and females over 19″ - 22″ at the withers.

Both classes exhibit the same breed type but one is shorter and one is taller. XL class allows for a little loose skin around the neck and a slightly higher rear is forgiven but it shouldn't be too much.

Extreme class is just a standard dog with more bone and substance with a tiny allowance for a high rear because of the overall mass of the dog. Yes, most extremes are a mess; however, there are several Extreme CHs and one GR CH that are excellent examples of their respective class.

Last, the Classic class is a standard dog with less bone and substance. They might have more of a UKC body type; however, they should still have bully traits such as blocky/heavy heads; short/square muzzles; heavier bone, muscle, and compact body.

Both Classic and Extreme have the same height requirement as the Standard class, which is males 17″ - 20″ at the withers and females under 16″ - 19″.

This is our Pocket ABKC/RKC CH Hemmi

This is our Standard ABKC CH Tum Tum

This is our Classic ABKC CH Shox

And this is Extreme ABKC GR CH Big Poppa (#1 dog in the country last year with 36 BOBs) bred and owned by Mo Barrow of Barrows Blue Bullies

That is what an Extreme dog should look like, not that sloppy high reared crap people think is "bad azz."

Anyway, all of those dogs are bred to the standard without sacrificing breed type. They all look similar but their heights are different and their bone and substance but overall they look like the same breed.

Hope this helps.
Good post!!!!! I'm sick of people saying that you can post up a dog of each standard and they don't look like the same breed. That is totally false. It is plainly obvious these dogs are the same breed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 37 Posts