Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a year this month that we had to put Rocky down. He was the one who wrapped my heart around this breed , He was only about 50lbs but was a firecracker. We knew Rocky since he was just a baby and he grew up seeing us almost daily so when his owner landed in some trouble we took him in no questions asked. We had him with us for 2 years and he was like one of my own him and Loki were best buds up until Loki hit abot the year mark then you know how that can go, so crate and rotate we did. Im convinced this dog saved my life and the lives of my kids , Home alone one night after putting the kids to bed I came around the corner to my room and there was a guy trying to get in the window, Loki was inside but only about 6 months I opened his crate hoping he would help but the yard seemed more interesting to him. In the meantime I seen Rocky locked in the garage trying to get out, I ran and swung the door open { about 10 feet from my back door} and it was like he knew , he ran and was in my room before I could even get int he house. Came in the bedroom to find him on the windowsill ready to jump out had to grab him to keep him inside. They say these dogs arent good for guard duty but threaten there family im sure you will see any dog get deffensive.
There arent many days I dont think of him, think of what if I did this different or that maybe he could still be here. He is deeply missed by us and his owner he has left a huge void in all our lives.

Loki and him tore apart my patio cushions LOl

·
Registered
96 Posts
shes very pretty, sorry for your loss. In the past Ive had to put down one because of a dog fight where the other dog started it and I had to put mine down bc it was a pitbull vs a lab and the lab was trying to fight everyone..I feel your pain and I know how hard it is, but I made myself feel better by giving the love I once had for Sam to the dogs I owned after him, I guess thats why the pups I got now r so spoiled! lol. At least all dogs go to heaven

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Sorry hun. RIP Rocky.

Reactions: angelbaby

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Beautiful bridle pup! RIP Rocky! Glad he was there for you all when you needed him!

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
What an experience with that guy!

R.I.P. Rocky :(

If you don't mind me asking...why did you have to phd?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone.
Nowuceme Its kinda a long story but after him and Loki didnt get along it was our 1st time doing the crate and rotate which was fine but a friend of our buddys offered to take him to his property where he could run and have the house to himself as an only dog , Rocky knew him well also so made it even better. Figured it was better for him then having to be confined off and on here so we let him go with him after permission from the owner. A few months after rocky actually took on a bear and ended up with a few grand in vet bills and surgerys to repair him was aweful but he made a full recovery. A short time after that all happened the house was raided apparently the guy was growing there, then that night we got a call the dog is missing the guy blamed the shelter and the police at 1st . After talking to many people at the shelter and the guy who was there holding rocky during the raid and talking with the police officer they all said he was there when they left they had locked him back up in the room and left him with water and stuff { I wish they had taken him and not left him at all but whats done is done}. I spent days on the phone leaving messages, printing up flyers for the guys to take out there thinking poor rocky is running free and scared somewhere in the country { its about an hour away from here}. After a few days of this I finally got the truth from the guy that his leash was also missing as well as his "friends" who were staying at the house caring for the plants , when this happened they figured they werent getting paid or something so they took the dog. This is the part im not sure on its been hard to get answers but they supposedly sold him to someone , I posted on CL this story and knew the city which he was in or supposedly in and started getting alot of responses I guess this extra pressure on this person started to pay off and he contacted the guys saying he had the dog but when a time was set up he flaked { I think he was scared of the guys } , about 2 weeks after playing these games and flaking out and blahblah he set up a time and place and got some young kid to bring rocky out to the guys when they showed up to pick him up . We dont know if this was the guys home but it was like a junk yard supposedly , the kid brought rocky out and he was walking like he was drunk and walked into the side of the truck. They brought him home to me immediately and when I walked around the corner he growled at me ,something was really wrong . Im the only one who could tend to wounds or deal with ear infections or anything on him he was a womans dog there had never been a time he has ever growled at me not even when in pain, it set me back i actually had to leave the room and get my emotions together and send the kids in the house . I came back out and his eyes were different it was like he wasnt there it wasnt him, then i saw the drunk walking and obvious depth perception problems he was having. We took him to the vet , we all agreed we thought he had been drugged to maybe make him more manageable , Rocky didint like people with "problems " so I think they may have been scared of him and needed to drug him. The vet took blood and ran tests and sent him home said to keep him crated and lots of water ,tests take 24hours. The next day he wasnt better if anything worse and would walk in circles around me when i took him out, go for a drink and dunk his face was like he couldnt judge depth at all. vet results came back in they couldnt find anything that they had tested for { although was told it was a needle in a haystack they had to test for things individually}. every day he kept getting worse and worse to the point he couldnt barley walk he had fallen off the deck on the third day so I called an booked an appointment for the next day to get more tests done since by this point he had a seizure that morning as well.
The next night was the worst he had 2 seizures and anyone who has been through that with your dog you know how heartwrenching it is not to be able to help . the next morning I went to get him out of the crate and he wouldnt get up , he had urinated in the crate { something he never has done} and I had to get the boyfriend to get him out I couldnt.
By this point I was going in the vet to PTS unless the vet had a answer and immediate solution I couldnt watch him go down anymore I dont think he would have made another night. I had filmed a few videos of rocky to show the vet how bad he was at the house here and I showed a few people I trusted here on GP those videos looking for any answers what could it be , has anyone been through this. And finally got an answer from someone they had seen something similar to this and it was antifreeze poisoning. When I went in to the vets They agreed they thought it all fitted as well but no way to tell for sure , they offered us to do more tests which would again take 24 hours to get back and he said being this long the tests would most likely come back inconclusive and if it was antifreeze there was no cure and I just thought it was more time he would be in pain. The boyfriend wanted to do the tests so I still feel bad about being the bad guy and making that decission to end it. Was one of the worst things I have ever done going in and holding Rocky as he went to sleep for the last time cried for weeks over that and even now remembering this again brings tears to my eyes. We dont know if it was intentional or accidental poisoning but doesnt matter to me really the guy responsible will pay in his own time im sure Karma always comes back to people.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Wow Angel :( I felt sad myself reading about when you got him back...how he growled at you for the first time.

You right, they will get theirs if they haven't already.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts