Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have never owned a pit before but would like to resuce a puppy from a shelter. There are 9 puppies total and would be getting a female at 8 weeks old. Here are my questions. I have 4 kids 7,5,4,2. would they be ok? I saved a puggle 2 years ago from the same shelter and she has been great. do you think it would work with her also. Just want to get pitbull owners thoughts about this.

Everybody tells me don't do it but I want to rescue another dog.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Well as far as the kids yes they are great dogs with kids ,I have 3 kids who have grown up with them from 3 years to 12 years. Now as far as your other dog, this breed its very common to encounter dog aggression. This is something that can kick in right off the bat or typically around a year - 2 years of age {although can be anytime after even}. So you would want to be prepared incase that comes to be with this pup. Great ways to manage that is to crate train the puppy at a young age and use the crate for when you cant supervise the dogs together like when you leave the house. You will never want to leave them unattended as things can go from bad to worse very quickly and fights can break out over the simplist of things such as food or toys. If they turn out to be dog aggressive later on and dont get along you will be looking at a crate and rotate situtation where they take turns being out. This doesnt always happen there are many who live in multi dog households and never have issues but it is a common issue with this breed and if going into it should know all the facts and be prepared for worst case. Just to clear up human aggression and dog aggression are very differnt , human aggression is not tolerated nor a quality bred into this breed. they are one of the best family pets out there and I wouldnt have any other breed with my kids.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. My wife and I both are teachers so My puppy would have to stay in the crate until I was able to go home at lunch and let them both outside. Another question?? I have a 4 ft. chain link fence in the back yard. Will the pup be able to jump it over time as it grows?? Is this something I should be concerned about?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
yes , you would need a higher fence or dog run or good proper chain set up or stick to leash walks. they will jump 4ft no prob. I had my smallest clear a 6 foot fence we had raise it to 10 ft. [ i may have gone a bit over but safer then sorry]. you can put in a dog run with a roof that would work as well.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
LOL rodrigo , hope your boy isnt the micheal jordan of the dog world lol. my small boy was only like maybe 50lbs and 17" tall and he used to just clear them from a stand still. [ I dont have him anymore, miss him] but he was crazy the things he could do for being so small. I never had my others go over the top but we raised the fence last year just incase. another option if you find they are paying to much attention to the fence line and are concerned about them going over is run a hot wire alone the top, a good zap might fix that urge.
OP, good luck with the wifey . There are so many good points to this breed then there are down sides and really are great family pets. If she has any concerns or questions feel free to ask or direct her here and she can read up on them herself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In my opinion I dont think a pitbull would be right for this couple... Just because you want to rescue another dog doesnt mean you should... With a lot of kids and a dog already and not as much time... Probably not a good idea for a inexperienced owner... This breed needs someone who knows what there getting into and has the time to commit to these dogs. Its not like a puggle. In the wrong hands these dogs can turn out completely different. Dont rescue a dog and then a year late have to surrender it because you werent ready. I would say do WAY more research on pitbulls before you even consider looking into the breed as a option. Good luck

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I think its good you came on for the info and facts about this breed BEFORE you got her. alot of people get them and dont know about the DA factor and come a year later to be heartbroken at the loss of 1 pet or having to rehome this one. Alot of breeders up here dont even mention it to people when they purchase from them its sad they are really being set up to fail without knowing. Hope you find your perfect match whether its this breed or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts