Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a message on a local neighborhood forum about a very pregnant pit bull that nobody could catch in a really bad neighborhood. I tried to ignore it but of course this morning my husband and I headed over to "just" help catch her. I told myself I was definitely not coming home with a dog. A couple of our friends from the neighborhood were already there. They had set a dog trap, but hadn't had any luck. I tried to coax her over but she wasn't having any of it. I sat on the ground next to her for about an hour with a bowl of food. She would come up behind me and sniff me but then dart off. I finally got her to eat out of my hand and looped her. Now to get her in the crate without spooking her. I laid down with her and just started petting her. She finally started trusting me and I feel comfortable lifting her in the crate with the help of our friends. During the ordeal all sorts of interesting characters started asking us questions. It was pretty nerve racking. There was another pit bull across the street in a junkyard that kept walking up to us, next I plan on having a word with her owner about keeping his dog properly contained and offer to spay his dog. Our friends named the pregnant dog Bailey. When we got her home, she was a completely different dog, tail wagging and demanding we pet her. She curled up in my lap and started snoring like it was the safest nap she's ever taken. We have turned our bathroom into a whelping room. It looks like we won't be able to get her spayed before she has them. I think she's already in labor, we'll see....

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs053.snc6/168372_493356314089_847244089_5677229_2593625_n.jpg[img]
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1375.snc4/164734_1644913255467_1615964489_1453906_7168501_n.jpg

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
OMG how sad :( I am so glad she is with you at least her and the pups will be safe. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate what you do for the breed. Happy New Year to you and your family. Please keep us up to date on the delivery of the pups!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
AWWWW she looks so tiny too poor girl I hope the pups and her turn out alright. Good luck with her hope you can place her in a great home. Good for you on going out to help :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's about 5-6 years old and was obviously abused. She looks to be in good shape, a lot of people have been feeding her and bringing her blankets, they said she's been there for days not letting anyone get close to her.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Well at least she trusts you and she is getting the care and love she deserves now .. It's been so cold out It just makes me sad to think she has been outside in this cold pregnant :( People are so cruel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty sure baby #1 is almost here! There's fluid coming out of her vulva and she seems to be pushing. Only problem is that she is insisting on laying in my lap...

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
awwww, best of luck with her and those pups cant wait to see them , might be harder then you thought giving her up after all this she seems to have that bond with you already :)

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Hope all her pups are safe,and that they all find a forever home,in the New year.
You're already off to a great start! Keep up the awesome rescues!
I admire what you do,and hope to be able to do something similar one day.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Your post made me cry! We've been to a local shelter twice over the last two days to see a very pretty staffie/ bullie looking girl- this is the girl we're hoping to adopt. And over those two days -maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours of being there we seen a total of 5 mama dogs with puppies, 3 adult huntin' dogs, 2 male labs, and 7 single pups being brought in! No kidding, 17 plus uncounted pups!

I'm so very glad she and her pups found folks like you to help her!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I don't know if you found one yet but there is one in Lithia Springs off of Thorton rd not sure how far that is from you. They are open today.

Westside Animal Emergency Clinic
591 Thornton Road, Lithia Springs, GA 30122
(770) 819-1090 ‎

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I heard back from one of our vets and she said it sounds like she is fine and not to worry unless she has a fever or starts acting distressed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts