Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I adopted a rescued Pit, 2 yo female, very timid about 6 weeks ago. She paces indoors almost all day long if allowed. She gets about 40 mins/day exercise, husband and I home most of the time so she's seldom left crated and alone, but she walks from room to room over and over and over. Not only is this difficult to live with but she can't be very happy.

She is also certain that I'm out to get her but loves my husband who babies her and provides little discipline. I'm consistent and matter of fact with her, preferring to reward good behavior.

I'd love some input and advice.

Sara

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Hello all,

I adopted a rescued Pit, 2 yo female, very timid about 6 weeks ago. She paces indoors almost all day long if allowed. She gets about 40 mins/day exercise, husband and I home most of the time so she's seldom left crated and alone, but she walks from room to room over and over and over. Not only is this difficult to live with but she can't be very happy.

She is also certain that I'm out to get her but loves my husband who babies her and provides little discipline. I'm consistent and matter of fact with her, preferring to reward good behavior.

I'd love some input and advice.

Sara
Did the shelter inform you of possible issues with her? What happened to her in her past? I would recommend a trainer who is familar with pit bulls and start there. I would give her more time to adapt to your home and keep up your routine with lots of positive reinforcement.

·
Registered
296 Posts
How often do you train with her? Even if she knows all her basic commands you can still work with her using distractions, build on commands by making her hold them longer, or staying while you leave the room. You could also look up some cute tricks to teach her. I found that treats I've made with canned tuna or salmon are way good motivators if she doesn't have a lot of drive. Especially if she is a timid dog this could be a good way for your husband to start establishing some leadership with her.

Also does she have many toys? It might help to try rotating her toys out every week or couple weeks so she doesn't get bored with them. I know Loki doesn't like playing by himself much so I'll go back and forth with throwing toys for him, making him follow commands for play, and putting him in a sit/stay then hiding his toy-all in one sitting! Throwing a toy in different corners of the house can force her to explore every area and become more comfortable.

It sounds to me like she might be bored and still a little unsure...
Challenging her mentally will wear her out more and build her confidence so look up some fun puppy games or tricks you can do with her!

·
Registered
154 Posts
She needs more then just 40 minutes of exercise a day to be honest with you. My super mellow eskie gets 1-3 hours a day. Super dogs like pits need intense exercise

1 - 4 of 4 Posts