Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow dog lovers, we have a problem. Rocky LOVES having a ball to play with. It's his favorite thing! That being said Rocky has a bit of a problem. I say bit cause he's really very good about it. We have been getting him for years the Black Kong for his size as well as the black kong ball. We don't put anything in the kong just let him play with it. Have a tug the normal things you do with a kong I guess. Same with the ball. He plays with it. The problem is he is a chewer. He likes to the it like mad, break pieces off the kong. Whittle it down to nothing and we go out and get a new one. The same happens with the ball after a short time. cause he bites it, carries it around and plays with it sooner or later the teeth marks become deep enough to make him start to try and take chucks off it as well. Nothing kong seems to last but both the kong and kong ball are his favs. We live in a apartment building so I fear something hard and plastic will make to much noise if he drops it not that the kong stuff doesn't All sorts of people have said, have you tried this or have you tried that not being pit bull owners them selves. So I ask you, the wise people of the forum.

What is the best product for Rocky?

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
We do the same thing, just keep replacing the destroyed Kongs which can last anywhere from weeks to months and throwing away the chunks that are chewed off in the meantime.

We also give the dogs nylabones because they keep them fairly busy and are good for their teeth. They have some heavier duty nylabones too, but I haven't purchased any to date.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We do the same thing, just keep replacing the destroyed Kongs which can last anywhere from weeks to months and throwing away the chunks that are chewed off in the meantime.

We also give the dogs nylabones because they keep them fairly busy and are good for their teeth. They have some heavier duty nylabones too, but I haven't purchased any to date.
you hit the nail on the head Carriana. Dead on. Thats why I thought I would bring the discussion forward. It is a real pain in our butt, the chunks if eaten I'm sure are not good at all. What are good alternatives? anyone had any success with other products like the Kong line up?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm in the "replace the Kongs frequently" club, too.
I just ordered a couple of "goughnuts" rings to see how they really hold up. They're supposedly indestructible, but I've heard that line before. Also, supposedly, the toys are guaranteed - if the dog chews through the toy, it gets replaced. We'll see... (They're expensive, but at the rate my pack goes through chew toys if this holds up it'll be worth it.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the "replace the Kongs frequently" club, too.
I just ordered a couple of "goughnuts" rings to see how they really hold up. They're supposedly indestructible, but I've heard that line before. Also, supposedly, the toys are guaranteed - if the dog chews through the toy, it gets replaced. We'll see... (They're expensive, but at the rate my pack goes through chew toys if this holds up it'll be worth it.)
Well I am sure glad we are not alone with Rocky. We thought at first it was us and something we were not doing with him. But after lots of research on the web everyone like you say said the same thing. "Oh it's indestructible" well Rocky and I am sure your pack get get into a kong ball pretty quick so again why I brought it forward as he loves his ball. And I would love for him to have one for longer then a few weeks to a month before having to take it away :) I hope for you that they work out and its not a bunch of Pit-bull poop (get it) Do report back Jen I'd be interested as a alternative if it lasts.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Yeah my kong last. Chuck it balls last a bit. I have a bunch they are my boys favorite so I just rotate them. I love the unbreakoball Carrianna didn't have much luck with her pack but my boy LOVES it. They have small and large. I use large outside only. Www.unbreakoball.com

Antlers dipped in peanut butter keep my boy busy.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Definitely!

I've also learned to get the largest versions of toys I can find, even if I have to order them online. Tennis ball sized balls get chunked to the back of those wide mouths and chomped on - and they're history really fast. If the toy is too big for that maneuver, it lasts a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Nylabones are awesome, don't think they make balls though?

Another one that's great for chewing and playing is the real, solid, rubber hockey pucks. My dogs love them. They don't last as long as the hard plastic toys like Nylabones, but they're fun and hold up better than cloth or stuffed toys.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Kong them self (black large) last about 2-6 months. But that beings said when we do toss it only the big part is the only thing left really as he or my self have taken off the rest. Him with his chewing me with taking the hanging pieces off :) I'm gonna take a look at that unbreakoball thing now and see what the costs are. See the problem is like any dog he drops it and tosses it around in play and I'm in a building. So we let him play but with hard wood floors in this place we do have to watch it. That's why something like the long products stood out for us besides the brand identity.

·
Registered
901 Posts
The solid kongs last about a month before he starts chewing off bits. I found the almost indestuctable ball from PetSmart online $12 for the large has been my best purchase. They do have a smaller one. He can't get his mouth around it so he uses it as a soccer ball. It took him awhile to figure out how to grab onto it. What I like about it is that you can put water in it and weigh it down if you want. I have to throw a box over it to get him to stop playing with it because he is so obsessed with it.

I know some people like the Egge too, it looks like a huge egg but I've never purchased one.

Goughnuts are destructable; yes they guarantee replacement but you have to pay for return shipping every time. It gets costly after awhile especially with my boy. I like antlers. As a tug toy I found that an old pair of jeans with the zipper and buttons removed and tied in knot after knot lasts really long plus it costs nothing because they are no longer worn.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya we found a tug toy with a handle which we trained him from start that the handle is ours and the rope part is his. We use the a lot with him and he loves a good tug. The tug we do with the kong is more him playing hard to get which can get funny with some of the faces and sounds he makes when he does it. But the jeans idea is really good but with Rocky he already has a bit of a cloths fetish (take it as it is :) ) so might not be so good with him lol. But I will look into stuff at our petsmart. It might have to be a online thing I order no matter what. It sucks. Pitbulls are banned where we live so finding things for strong breed dogs can get kinda hard. Not all of Canada. But some of it has the ban. We have been to the petsmarts, petvalues etc etc and they all sell the same stuff. It's like they don't carry stuff for strong breed dogs on purpose. It's all toy breed or work breed. Never stuff for a dog that naturally has a strong bite and play. Thank tho to all that have commented thus far. I'm sure its a matter of trial and error on my part but being shown a direction might shorten the trial and error part and the hurt on my wallet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry, I just remembered I had a video of Rocky playing around on the floor. This is with his Kong on the last day with that kong I think but I think you see why in the video balls are needed. (sorry) And It's kinda a funny video to. Warning I make Electronic Dance Music for a living so thats the site. NO PLUG INTENDED AT ALL. It was just easier to find the link that way. If you enjoy that kinda stuff poke around, listen to a tune. If your just in it for the dog go to the link scroll down a bit and you will see the video Rocky for the win. Pardon the dance music in the background again. Not trying to self promote, I make music so I added some to the video lol. Here's the link

The Mad Hatter - Live

1 - 12 of 12 Posts