Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been having him jump and catch the rope lately, I'll also be building a flirt pole soon and I'll include some videos/pictures of that.

Doing this in prep for the flirt pole, and he's been great with chasing and catching the rope so I think he'll be fine with one.

Is this decent conditioning for a younger dog? He's only 9 months and I don't want to work him out too much until he's at least 1 year.

Catching the rope 0:15

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
I would keep his feet on the ground for a couple more months, very easy to tear an ACL at this age. Plus he's still a pup and shouldn't be doing any type of conditioning. I think people often mistake exercise and conditioning. Conditioning is a process that begins weeks before a show to get the dog in perfect condition for it.

But exercise should be done every day. Conditioning is just taking those exercises to the max. Get what I'm saying?

My crew gets to do flirt pole and spring pole and of course grappling in the house. But I try to limit my pup to all 4 on the ground tugging, and fetch (sometimes in the house shhh lol.)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I would keep his feet on the ground for a couple more months, very easy to tear an ACL at this age. Plus he's still a pup and shouldn't be doing any type of conditioning. I think people often mistake exercise and conditioning. Conditioning is a process that begins weeks before a show to get the dog in perfect condition for it.

But exercise should be done every day. Conditioning is just taking those exercises to the max. Get what I'm saying?

My crew gets to do flirt pole and spring pole and of course grappling in the house. But I try to limit my pup to all 4 on the ground tugging, and fetch (sometimes in the house shhh lol.)
:goodpost:

Cute pup!! You actually should always have your set up low enough so the back paws CAN touch the ground if the need them too. Til your dog is at least 18 months old its a good idea to keep all 4 paws on the ground. My boys rarely touches the ground on his spring pole but if he needs to put his feet down, it's low enough when it can. Towards the end when he is tried he falls more. Also id the tug gives way. Also with the flirt pole don't zig zag keep the movements changing but nothing too dramatic.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:goodpost:

Cute pup!! You actually should always have your set up low enough so the back paws CAN touch the ground if the need them too. Til your dog is at least 18 months old its a good idea to keep all 4 paws on the ground. My boys rarely touches the ground on his spring pole but if he needs to put his feet down, it's low enough when it can. Towards the end when he is tried he falls more. Also id the tug gives way. Also with the flirt pole don't zig zag keep the movements changing but nothing too dramatic.

Great information, I'll just keep doing these little rope exercises daily while making sure his feet are touching the ground so he doesn't get injured.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Haha so cute! He will get there I am sure. Great way to teach wait and drop once he get the hang of it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! :) He listens well if I add some play time like tug of war in between training. I've got him to sit for about 30 seconds before he looses attention, and he's starting to react to "get it" on command to grab the rope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts