Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Rotties. But I have no experience with them. But when I was probably about 8 years old I started dreaming about owning one. I've had a couple friends along the way that owned them. One that I remember was a big sweet oaf. But I really love large breeds and I really like the power they exude. As well as the protective and guarding qualities. And maybe a schultzand prospective?

So I'm looking for energy level, are they one owner dogs, coat care, feeding, kid safe, and any other general info.

Thanks!

Oh yeah and American Rott vs German Rott is there a difference or is this just byb lingo?

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
I owned one growing up. Never had any temperment problems, DA was there, a simple brushing with a wire brush a few times a week took care of any shedding problem, i have 2 younger siblings and we all grew up with her. she was very good with all of us. I never researched the breed so all I can tell you is from what I experienced.

She was a great dog.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
I petsit for alot of Rotties. One of them being over 100lbs and he is a big baby.

Maybe it's the lives they live but I think Zoe (my apbt) requires ALOT more exercise then they do. Always friendly but very stand offish about strangers until they get to know you. I think feeding them is the same as any dog. Food and amount depend on what the dog is doing. I have watch 11 Rotties in my home and they all have been wonderful with my kids. Maybe not for small kids seeing as the dogs could step on them or knock them over.

We are thinking of getting a rottie for our next dog. Just because I want something to protect the house and my other dogs when their outside. Plus I just love big goofy dogs. From my understanding they can be all around great dogs if raised right!

·
Registered
679 Posts
My Dad had a Rott when my daughter was very young they are great with kids, although make sure you get a young one. Bruno was PA because of his past, but only black woman and anyone with a cane. Wasnt his fault they are very good dogs as all dogs when raised properly.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I petsit for alot of Rotties. One of them being over 100lbs and he is a big baby.

Maybe it's the lives they live but I think Zoe (my apbt) requires ALOT more exercise then they do. Always friendly but very stand offish about strangers until they get to know you. I think feeding them is the same as any dog. Food and amount depend on what the dog is doing. I have watch 11 Rotties in my home and they all have been wonderful with my kids. Maybe not for small kids seeing as the dogs could step on them or knock them over.

We are thinking of getting a rottie for our next dog. Just because I want something to protect the house and my other dogs when their outside. Plus I just love big goofy dogs. From my understanding they can be all around great dogs if raised right!
Good to know. I fantasize about owning all sorts of different breeds. I just love dogs in general. And I'd like to own at least one of my favorites in my lifetime.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Dad had a Rott when my daughter was very young they are great with kids, although make sure you get a young one. Bruno was PA because of his past, but only black woman and anyone with a cane. Wasnt his fault they are very good dogs as all dogs when raised properly.
I don't know when I'll get another dog. Most likely awhile from now. Since I am pregnant now and will want to devote all my attention to my little one... and my current dog Helena. But she is almost 3 and very easy. I figure by the time my kid is old enough to say "mom Helena is to old and won't play with me" We will get another. I just don't want to rush into anything. I have to watch my impulses! Then remind myself how much housebreaking sucks ! lol

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
From the simple research I have done, the American bloodlines of the Rottie make it a completely different animal. The dog is a working dog and it is supossed to have ton of energy and athletic ability, it should also a very stable temperament and not be overly agressive unless there is threat. The American backyard breeders and show breeders ruined the breed and have ruined what was a believe powerful stable working dog. I believe you need to research a breeder that will do health testing for hips and temperament. The German rotties are supossed to amazing. I had the chance of a lifetime to take care of a Presa Canario for a few days which is believed to be one of the most powerful guard dogs in the world and I can tell you that these dogs are calm and extremely intelligent dogs. The dog should not show agression unless there is danger. Obviously that dog is not the same as a Rottie but it is just a comparison that sometimes people make this dogs out to be vicious and extremely agressive when they really aren't.

·
Registered
628 Posts
We have 2 currently and I have owned 2 others in the past. Both are German but not registered so there could be some Am mixed in. Generally speaking, it is supposed to be American, German then Roman in size order from smallest to largest. There is a problem with overbreeding (like any breed) so you will want to make sure you thouroughly vet a breeder if you buy vs rescue. They can be very hard-headed and require consistent training. Rotts are pretty much puppies until around 2 so that may be a consideration for you as the destructive tendencies can linger longer than with some breeds. Rotts are very family protective but tend to bond with one person in the family more than anyone else. In my house my oldest is my husband's baby and the youngest is mine. Personality wise, they are very smart overall and are real problem solvers. My youngest, Temperance is a serious problem solver who likes to figure her way right out of the crate! SHe is a big goof, loving to play and will fall at your feet like she lost her bones for pets! LOL Tempe is almost 11 months. Mercy is the oldest and is 2.5 years and is almost the polar opposite. She is much more aloof, very alert for any noise, constantly patrols the house, etc. Mercy is only goofy when no one except family is around. They both love kids but can knock a small child over with a kiss so we watch their interactions very closely! LOL Rotts are my first love as far as dog breeds and I can't imagine not having at least 1! They are great family dogs and really their exercise requirements are up to you. If you are working them, they need more exercise. If they are strictly pets, a 30 min walk 4 times a week will usually do. Rotts are generally not overeaters like beagles and bassets are known to be, but Rotts can get overweight pretty easily if they are not engaged. They need interaction and challenges or may overeat out of boredom. They can get heatstroke pretty easily in the summer and they do shed contrary to what most people think. I use a furminator once or twice a week on ours and it takes care of it. They do not need daily brushing but usually enjoy it so it's up to you. ANy questions I can help you with, let me know. I think Lisa has a lot of experience with training Rotts (she's the pro!) so she will have good insight especially with the SCH.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have 2 currently and I have owned 2 others in the past. Both are German but not registered so there could be some Am mixed in. Generally speaking, it is supposed to be American, German then Roman in size order from smallest to largest. There is a problem with overbreeding (like any breed) so you will want to make sure you thouroughly vet a breeder if you buy vs rescue. They can be very hard-headed and require consistent training. Rotts are pretty much puppies until around 2 so that may be a consideration for you as the destructive tendencies can linger longer than with some breeds. Rotts are very family protective but tend to bond with one person in the family more than anyone else. In my house my oldest is my husband's baby and the youngest is mine. Personality wise, they are very smart overall and are real problem solvers. My youngest, Temperance is a serious problem solver who likes to figure her way right out of the crate! SHe is a big goof, loving to play and will fall at your feet like she lost her bones for pets! LOL Tempe is almost 11 months. Mercy is the oldest and is 2.5 years and is almost the polar opposite. She is much more aloof, very alert for any noise, constantly patrols the house, etc. Mercy is only goofy when no one except family is around. They both love kids but can knock a small child over with a kiss so we watch their interactions very closely! LOL Rotts are my first love as far as dog breeds and I can't imagine not having at least 1! They are great family dogs and really their exercise requirements are up to you. If you are working them, they need more exercise. If they are strictly pets, a 30 min walk 4 times a week will usually do. Rotts are generally not overeaters like beagles and bassets are known to be, but Rotts can get overweight pretty easily if they are not engaged. They need interaction and challenges or may overeat out of boredom. They can get heatstroke pretty easily in the summer and they do shed contrary to what most people think. I use a furminator once or twice a week on ours and it takes care of it. They do not need daily brushing but usually enjoy it so it's up to you. ANy questions I can help you with, let me know. I think Lisa has a lot of experience with training Rotts (she's the pro!) so she will have good insight especially with the SCH.
Thank you for sharing. I would love to see pictures of your dogs!

My pit bull is pretty hard headed, stubborn and dominant. But I managed to train her quite well through my own methods, obedience school and the NILF rules. She listens great now and is almost 3 years old. But it took me up until recent times to get this far. But I did let her get away with a lot in the early times!

So would that be comparable to a Rottie? Other than the massive size difference! But my girl pulled like a freight train! And I've never been afraid to show a dog who's boss. I've worked with high strung horses as well. So I'm not skeered! lol

I'm gong to have to exercise caution with my dog and new baby. Naturally. I know she wouldn't intentionally hurt the child. But I am going to train her not to get too excited. In the past when she's around toddlers shes been very gentle and didn't jump on them. So I don't think I'll have much problem.

How are Rotties with other dogs?

Exercise requirements sound good. Although everyone says Pit Bull energy levels are high I have a very lazy girl. She loves walks but she also loves the sofa. Shes not hyper at all in the house except her occasional zoomie spurts.

If I got a Rottie it will be after I have my own home and it might be an outdoor indoor dog weather permitting. Especially since you said they could overheat. But are they still able to go on walks and play in the summer?

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I used to have a female rotti.She was one of the best dogs I've ever had,besides Pretty Girl.She didn't have as much energy as my apbt,and was a little more stubborn.My apbt Pretty Girl was alot easier to train.But don't get me wrong,once we got past the training issues she was a very good dog.She was slightly HA.Not with everybody,but certain people.And she hated any kind of small vehicle like a go cart or golf cart.
She did shed a bit,but not as much as say a German Shephard.

I lived in Florida when I had her,so yes you can still walk them and let them play outside in the heat without them over heating.I would just limit it in the hot months.

3,968 Posts
my cuz used to have a rottie. very outgoing friendly pup. pretty independant as well...but rotties are under an indepandant breed group. well he was a great pup. a little clumsy. wish i could have seen him grow up. they went for a walk the pup slipped out of his collar ran across the street got hit by a truck. my cuz could not afford the surgery and the pup was hanging on by a strand of life. so he was put to sleep.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rottys are great dogs. We have a 4yr old we got as a 8wk old puppy. we also have a 9mo old APBT. Boo Bear is very loving and goofy with his "pack" but reserved with others. he weighed a tight 126lbs at the vet last month when he went in for vacs so yes they are large, powerful dogs but also very gentle. Our guy is more tolerant with strange dogs than humans. They do shed like crazy.....even though we brush him often it sometimes looks like black tumbleweeds rolling across our hardwoods. Although a lot of owners frown on dog parks we take him and Petey the Pit to a park once a week and they love it and truly represent they're breeds well. The only time it ever feels tense is if Boo Bear feels like a dog/dogs are "picking" on Petey and then he gets very alpha and dominate. They are very protective of their pack mates.

·
Banned
4,383 Posts
I love rotties I had one when i was 12 and when we moved my parents made me give her to my grandparents. she ended up biting some one and had to be put down. :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts