Go Pitbull Forums banner

Rough night here at work

912 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  DynamicDuo 
#1 ·
So, for those who don't know, I work as a 911 dispatcher and I just took the worst call of my 20 year career. I know it may sound horrible but I have never taken a 911 call that shook me and I've been working here for 20 years! Honestly, that's probably nothing short of amazing but we're well trained and can compartmentalize well. Anyway, tonight I took a call for a mobile home on fire. The neighbor was calling it in and the house was well engulfed in flames. She reported that there were 2 adult dogs and 5-6 puppies inside the residence and I could literally hear them screaming and crying in the background. That call shook me to my core hearing that. It literally broke my heart. Now I have to sit here for the rest of the night with that sound echoing in my head while all I want to do is go home and surround myself with my furbabies and snuggle them close. I pray for those dogs and hope they didn't suffer long.

#2 ·
That is horrific. One of those things that stay with you a long time. I echo your sentiments in hopes they didn't suffer long. I also hope that is your worse night of work ever. Try your best to shake it Jess, replaying it serves no purpose.

Joe

#3 ·
Thanks Joe. I debated on whether to post anything or not since I am sure just hearing about it will upset some people but in the end, I guess I just needed to hear that I wasn't alone in my grief and just get a little empathy. It was pretty rough but I'm starting shake it. Getting home and snuggling up with my three stooges this morning helped tremendously as I'm sure you can imagine!

~Jess

#5 ·
That's one tough job. :( I did animal control for 4 years, and boy, did I burn out big time. It's hard to compartmentalize when you have to witness so many horrible things. Hang in there! I hope the memory fades quickly.

#6 ·
Thanks Indie. I honestly have to say I'd rather do this job than animal control. It was horrible having to hear it but I cannot even begin to imagine having to *see* that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.