Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
roxie is about 9 months now. she has been on puppy chow since we got her at 9 weeks. she gets about 4 cups a day. 2 in the morning and 2 at night. well for about the passed month she doesnt seem to be hunrgy we're lucky if she finishes a cup in the morning and a cup at night. she used to tear through the food before. what could be wrong here? thanks in advcance for the help guys :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
If your feeding her puppy chow that is a horrible food I would change that to a better quality kibble. You do not have to break the bank feeding your dog but puppy chow by purina is a bad food.
4 cups a day sounds like a lot of food especially if she is not eating it all. This is about the age where the are slowing down in growth so you can back off the food. Try 1 cups in the am and 1 at night so 2 cups total. Then watch your dogs body if she loses weight and is too thin then add another 1/4 cup. If she is too heavy then take off 1/4. Most of my dogs are about 35-48lbs and some eat 2-3 cups a day and some eat 4.5 cups a day it just depends on how they look and how their metabolism works.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did you get an all clear from the vet? Make sure it's nothing physical Has anything changed in her enviroment { dogs/people leaving or coming. New house , new anything ???} . Depending on how sensative your dog is ANYTHING can throw them off. The girls go into heat , the boys stop eating . I go away for a few days , everyone stops eating First, only give her 1 cup of food. If she hasnt eaten it in 15min , take it away. Do the same at night. If she seems healthy and active and holding her weight I wouldn't spaz out too much. They go thru cycles. Try mixing a large spoonful of wet food into her dry.If the weight starts falling off or her activity level drops get her back to the vet.

·
Registered
711 Posts
4 cups sounds like maybe too much.
and two cups at a time at her age could giver her a tummy ache.
we do three cups.
one in the morning one around four.
and then around 11 pm.
Terrible feeding schedule I know it needs to be worked on.
Tiva was going through a phase where she wasn't eating and we don't feed her bad food either.
so we talked to her vet on her next check up.
and the vet said to put cottage cheese or plain yogurt in with her food.
not only did it make her eat she got so much bigger.
not fat.
her muscles are looking great because of all the extra energy eating gave her,
but sometimes using those things can constipate them or give them diarrhea.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i started tonight giving her 1 cup and it seems to be working. ill be switchin back to blue wilderness/blue buff when i start getting money from my new job. sucked being jobless for so long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts