Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our rescue Roxy finally had her pups. Labor went fairly well although she refused to have them where we made her spot so instead she decided our bed was perfect. With that being said we flipped the mattress, garbage bags under and tons of clean sheets as well as cardboard to protect our new bed. I wanted her as comfy as possible. When we would try to leave she get upset so we stayed with her the whole time. One pup the hubby had to do cpr due to fluid in the lungs and not breathing well. They are thriving and doing well. One of them is not. We have 7 boys and 1 girl. One of the boys is half the size of the others and isnt as good of a feeder and is less active. Today we decided to try to supplement so we got goats milk from tractor supply am trying to bottle feed. We have gotten some towels and put them in the dryer and snuggled him up with a teddy bear. He seems to be struggling. He also has a a little puss pocket by his peepee. I know that we change the blankets in the closet and its on linoleum and it gets bleached and soap everyday. We are in and out of there all the time to make sure she is doing ok and check on the babies as well as snuggle with them. Any ideas on what we can do right now to help give him a boost? Roxy is being fed Duck and Potato natures balance as we had a hard time trying to find the Acana Pacifica....any imput would be appreciated.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
The smaller one may just be a runt, If you can get puppy milk with colostrum that would be better, or if you could milk mom and feed that.

Here are some links ( not all of what are in these applies to you, but some sections will help you out.)

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/whelping2.htm
http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/...nt-puppy/fbece95b-6ec2-ae2f-2dc9-8299fbd159c5
http://ittybittyswebsite.com/blog/?p=60

I use to have some much better site, but I can't find the links right now, so this is all I got :(

Reactions: Sadie

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Why was this rescue even bred? I hope you are going to spay. Otherwise to the question i agree with AP

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
love me some puppies! I myself am trying hard not to get attached to the 3 we have left in our litter we had 10 weeks ago.---But ooh boy we have really found some fantastic families for homes!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
love me some puppies! I myself am trying hard not to get attached to the 3 we have left in our litter we had 10 weeks ago.---But ooh boy we have really found some fantastic families for homes!
I know it was bittersweet watching our last one leave :( . Alwys nice when they live close and you can visit often though :). You need to post some pics up of yours havent seen them in awhile .

And Lee , where are the pics of these newborns? I have been waiting :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will post pics....asap. Hubbys been in bed today with his traumatic brain injury migraine so I am walking on a thin line before the ER visit emerges....For the record, yes she will be spayed as this was NOT intentional but I am not a believer in Abortion so we dealt with the issue. Some are quick to sound judgemental without knowing the case. I realize that some people are very ignorant and do things to benefit themselves instead of the pet but ours are family members so this is not the case. Have a wonderful night

·
Registered
79 Posts
I will post pics....asap. Hubbys been in bed today with his traumatic brain injury migraine so I am walking on a thin line before the ER visit emerges....For the record, yes she will be spayed as this was NOT intentional but I am not a believer in Abortion so we dealt with the issue. Some are quick to sound judgemental without knowing the case. I realize that some people are very ignorant and do things to benefit themselves instead of the pet but ours are family members so this is not the case. Have a wonderful night
Yikes what happened to your hubby that he has a TBI? My hubby has what is considered a TBI also cause he had a brain aneurysm in high school from playing football. He was very lucky it was a slow "leak" and didnt just burst like most aneurysms do! (I have a step brother who passed away from a brain aneurysm, never even heard of one before I met hubby and then 4 yrs later my stepbrother had one). Sorry Off topic!!

Cannot wait to see pics!!! :) Oh cute female pup!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
very cute , what color is she? hope your hubby is feeling a bit better today.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My hubby was overseas and got hit with an EFP (IED) basically while driving his bradley. Hit hit right under the drivers side foot and he suffered a horrible foot injury and TBI. They were under fire for 3 hrs before anyone was able to come assist them. So he suffers horrible PTSD migraines and he deals with them for the most part but they get bad and his nose starts bleeding and he passes out. After 6 neuro docs and the horrible VA system we are continually fighting to get him better health care. Its a struggle. But regarding our female pup.....shes a brindle like her mom but a little darker. We have 5light chocolate mocha color, 1 red like the dad (hes the one hubby did CPR on), a light beige and the thats it. 8 total....trying to just make it and also stay on the school improvement council and school online fulltime....oh and 6 kids....yep the life is VERY full. Luckily I have an amazing hubby who is worth all the fight...thanks guys

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ooooh such cute puppies!!! They are always just so adorable that little!!!

Sorry about your hubby, that is so scary glad he made it out of there!! Good luck on the health care. My step dad used to work at our local VA hospital and also gets care through the military so I got to hear all about it! I also went into Medical Administration and got even more info about Tricare and stuff. Not fun!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2 months ago I went to the Congress office here to file a formal complaint on his health care. The Army/VA has really dropped the ball on the majority of the injured veterans health care. Its hard when you dont know the ropes and are going in blind and have to advocate for yourself. Thank you and yes I am very lucky and very blessed. Yes, the pups are adorable and I know that we are all going to struggle with rehoming them but believe that we will be more than PICKY and specific about the possible adoptions. I have been networking alot here and there is a pit bull rescue that has a really specific adoption contract. These pups may be from rescued parents but that doesnt mean they deserve any less love. Just like my kids it is my job to do whats best for them and I am their voice.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Here is the best site for help with puppies.
Breeding Dogs, Puppies from Birth to 3 weeks

How is the pup doing? I would just let the pup keep nursing with the mom and suppelment, make sure the pup stays warm and the mom is not pushing her out. You cannot feed a cold pup or you will kill it, warm is a must After a few days she should do better or be a fading pup and nothing you can really do. Good luck

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The pup has made it to 2 weeks today. He is still tiny and his ribs are showing unlike his incredibly fat and juicy littermates. I went to the naturepathic store today and got some probiotic and some different formula and am hoping it works. Some keep saying he isnt going to make it and just let him slide. I refuse to "just let him slide'. If he does pass ok but I am going to give it my full fight until that time. We are still supplementing with the goats milk and adding just a little bit of probiotic to the bottle. We keep him with us some so he can keep his body heat up.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
2 weeks is a good mark , hope he keeps improving for you . 1 day at a time :) thats all you can do. Would love some updated pics I love when they are tiny wont be long though before they are running around getting into everything lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well his brothers are 3x as big as he is. Will get pics up soon. Hubby is down again with another migraine so in between the hospital and here I will eventually sget them up SORRY

1 - 20 of 43 Posts