Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She REALLY doesn't like me to try and stack her, no matter how much I work with her. This is the best I've gotten to date (not without trying :( ) she really just doesn't like me to move things where i want them to be, but we're working on it. anybody have any advice on what I can do to help make her more comfy and easier on both of us? lmao. i'm happy to take constructive criticism, since i want to get into the showing world in the future, and i'm kinda just "practicing" with Rudi.

Rudi, at 1 year :)

PS: ignore my "house slipper/boots" lmao :) :roll:

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
Practice practice practice and lots of treats. You have her a little A framed just pull her front feet back just a tad. Hold the food down some more so her head is straight like you want her to stand. Her rear looks like it is angled out on the right rear leg. If I didnt know better I would think she had some Gaff's Eddy in her ped :) She looks like she is a little roach backed but if you practice you will get there.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! She is from a fellow groomer's accidental litter, she doesn't have a ped, but thanks! And usually she is much more a framed, but i managed to get her to put em back some today, but i will definitely work on it! her right leg is angled out, she tried to scoot out on me at the last second and I managed to get her to stay but didn't move her leg in time (i had the camera on a timer) but mostly, what is roach backed? I'm not sure what that is!

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Roach backed is when the back is too long for the dog, and in Chino's case he lacks leg in the front so it makes his back stick up towards his hips

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Are you planning to do any sports competitions? You could get some good show experience by doing obedience or something. I wanted to do that with Helena but I wasn't sure how the jumps would effect her knee injuries.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Put a collar on her and hold the treat lower (good advice by gamer) What I do is hold the treat straight out in front of her nose so her head is level and get her use to the collar being held up a bit. Then you can give her the treat like you doing in the picture sor she can only lick it but not get the whole treat. Then when you set her front pick her legs up by the elbow NOT the paw. Drop the leg right under her straight down from her shoulder. Just worry about the front for now, when she gets use to that then worry about the rear. In the rear you want her hocks straight up and down almost like you have in the picture. If you look at the far rear leg see how it is too far back, her hock is angled? You want that to be straight up and down.

I hope that helps a bit ;)

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the compliments, everyone! And thanks Lisa! I've had trouble getting her to stand when I put some resistance on her collar in the past but I'll take that advice and definitely work on it!

PS: ya'll cant make fun of my warm slippers!

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Very cute!
If the pup isn't papered and you are going to do performance events the show stacking isn't really necessary. Teaching a stand stay is helpful for obedience, but the dog doesn't need to be perfectly stacked for that.

If you will be doing fun shows then of course a stack will be needed. here is a good link to help with show training if you are interested:
Encyclopedia of the American Pit Bull Terrier : Dog Show Training

Enjoy!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts