Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how the heck do i teach her to always go to the door if she has to pee or poop. i would let her eat outside for about 15 minutes and give her time to pee and poop but she doesnt then as soon as i let her in she will run to her room and pee and poop on the floor then shell eat her poop. but sometimes shell go to the door and scratch on it and ill let her out so she can go. i just dont understand why doesnt she do that evertime instead of running to her room and doing her business in there..

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Its best if you take her out on leash about 15 minutes after she eats or drinks and you will have to wait until she does her buisness may be 5 minutes might be 20 takes patience. Once she goes PRAISE her big time, make sure she knows she is doing good. if she goes in the house I found it helpful to use the pee pads and keep one by the door , you will have to supervise when she is in the house free and if you see her making an accident pick her up and take her to the pad or outside, get her in the habit of that. I wouldnt let her roam the house free until she is house trained or supervised. If you havent already Id look into a crate and crate train her. Is a great tool to have for more then just potty training issues. They dont usually like to sit in there own waste and will usually hold it when they are in the crate. { might have occassional accident but not often in my experience} just make sure the minute you take her out of the crate its leash and potty time. Feeding her outside and leaving her to do her buisness isnt the best cause she isnt learning what she is suppose to do she is technically just going where she wants still has no concept of it being outside vs inside . you need to be there to praise and make it a habit, they love to please you so this works well.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
it also helps to go for walks instead of just going out, the exercise helps get the body working. How old is she? Until she gets it take her out a lot more often than you normally would so you catch it before the actual need for it. then like Angel said praise praise praise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
if u are taking her out to pee, dont bring her straight back inside once she has done her business. if she enjoys being out she will learn that the pee will signal the end of the walk and she may hold it in in future to extend the walk. then let it go when she gets home. just alot of praise as soon as she does then walk for another few mins.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Praise, praise, praise....but if you catch her in the act, whether it be in the crate or in the house FIRM vocal corrections and take her outside immediately.

Ps...no need to correct her if you did not catch her in the act. She needs to be able to associate both the praise and correction with the action done.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Also, forgot to ask how old the pup is?

The younger she is the less she can hold it. I'm taking my pups out CONSTANTLY. Pups tend to sleep a lot so the moment she wakes up you take her outside. Also, take her out after a session of playing...they usually need to pee after being excited.

3,968 Posts
i would keep the puppy on a tight potty schedual. if she doesn't go when you take her out i would put her in a crate for a few mintues then take her outside again. dogs do not like to go to the bathroom where they sleep. so crate training at a young age is a good idea. if they do go in the crate it could be because they simply can't hold it any more and the crate may be too large. . going for a walk is a good idea if she has all her needed vacs. and when u do catch her going to the bathroom outside act like its the best thing in the world. i don't like to scold for going to the bathroom inside. it can discourage some puppies from going to the bathroom infront of you period. and the more likely they will run in a room where you can't see them go to the bathroom. i kinda stick with the if you catch em in the act just give firm but not threatening NO or HEY and then simply carry them outside and put them down as quickly as possible. praise them if they continue to go outside...or walk them around a little untill they go. i have never yelled at a puppy for catching them go to the bathroom inside. and i have never had a problem with dogs going inside after early puppy hood.

also if you see the puppy went to the bathroom inside and it's too late to do anything about it, it is basically pointless to punish a dog for that. they wont know what you are getting all worked up about any way. also don't play with your puppy outside until she has gone to the bathroom. this is all stuff that has personally worked for me over the years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts