Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I rescued Dixie from my next door neighbor after a chain of events that made him realize he couldn't take care of her. Well, about a month ago, he got a pit mix even though I told him it wasn't a good idea. He keeps the dog outside all the time not even chained up. The puppy just runs around on its own. So, everytime I was home and saw the puppy out I would go take the dog in with me so she didn't have to be outside unsupervised. Well, today when I come back from class, I find the dog and it is obvious she has been hit by a car. She has a huge gash in her leg (it is probably broken) and she is wheezing. She can't even stand up. I notified the owners but he is convinced she will be fine and "doesn't have the money anyway" to take her to the vet. So now the puppy is just dying outside without any treatment. Sorry I just needed to vent. I am so upset. Any suggestions? :confused:

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
If it were me I would scoop her up and rush her to a shelter or vet. Tell them the truth that it isn't your dog! You need to do what is right in this situation.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
id rush her to a shelter and tell them exactly the thing you just told us . That guy should be held accountable. I get how times are tough but HELLO people the dogs dont choose to be with us , if you chose to own a dog you take on responsibilities like paying unwanted and unexpected vet bills. things like this cannot wait there is most likely internal injuries , least expensive way to deal with this is euthanize if he wont pay for surgery and x rays euthanizing is $100-$200 get it done. No excuse to have a dog suffer , especially when this was the owners fault for not containing his dog. I would deff report this guy and get that dog some help even if its at a shelter where they put her down. if you dont say anything you know your comming home next week to a new dog in his yard , he wont learn his lesson.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Well said Angel! I agree and would have typed far more if I wasn't on my phone at the time. That puppy doesn't deserve to suffer like that and needs to be helped. She shouldn't have to lay and die of injuries suffered by trauma that could have been avoided all together. I would also report him.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been telling him all day that he needs to take her. But I will take her myself. Thanks for the advice. I'm heartbroken

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Please keep us posted!! Go quick and hopefully they can save her :( Bless you

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i'd call AC on them for animal neglect

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would like to see that guy have a big gash on his broken leg, helpless, nearly dying and see his reaction when no one wants to help him out and take him to the hospital. What a bad person.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I agree with you all. I am so pissed. I finally convinced him to take her. Right before they left I was feel around on her and could clearly feel 1 or 2 broken ribs, so i hope she doesn't have amy internal bleeding. I will keep you all updated. It's just awful

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I hope they actually taker her and dont just dump her in some random neighborhood.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No they took her. no broken leg but a broken rib (as I thought). Apparently there isnt any internal damage? Could the vet have determined that in one visit?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
yes if they did an xray or ultrasound that info is instant. she need stitches on her leg? poor girl, so she is home now? Back in the yard or they atleast bring her in to watch her?

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
No they took her. no broken leg but a broken rib (as I thought). Apparently there isnt any internal damage? Could the vet have determined that in one visit?
My ex's uncle is A vet. The man is amazing. My experience with dogs being beat up is extensive (I have A past) and I watched the old dog men track urine, bowel movements, water intake, eating habits. It was rudimentary because they didn't have the enternal experience.
a vet on the other hand has been trained methodically to check organ density, positioning, sizes, tenderness or pain. Mind you, I'm not A vet, yet when over the years I took my dogs to Jeff I asked him all sorts of questions. He got in the habit of talking me through the exams if I were an intern. This is my experience from years of all sorts of damaged dogs being treated by the layman dogman that got the job done to the guy that was educated to go the distance professionally and ethically.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes if they did an xray or ultrasound that info is instant. she need stitches on her leg? poor girl, so she is home now? Back in the yard or they atleast bring her in to watch her?
Yeah she has stitches and is all bandaged up. And he had her inside when I went over there and I think he will keep her in there now. Mind you right after it happened he was content with still keeping her outside, so i am going to continue to check on her often. Not a happy ending to the story yet, but at least it is better.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Yeah she has stitches and is all bandaged up. And he had her inside when I went over there and I think he will keep her in there now. Mind you right after it happened he was content with still keeping her outside, so i am going to continue to check on her often. Not a happy ending to the story yet, but at least it is better.
I would still report it to AC just so they can also be on the lookout or hear anything from others. Glad it seems OK for now though

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Glad she is okay and sounds safe for now but I'm not going to hold my breathe with this owner. Sounds like he should never own another dog after you already rescued yours from him not to long ago. I can see where this will be going once she is well again. I'm sure she will end up having puppies on her first heat seeing as how he just let's the dog out to run the street with no regard for her well being. Makes me sick! Before she ends up dropping litters of pups I hope you can talk him into spaying her next.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I would still contact AC. Inform them what had happened and how you had to insist on getting her to the vet repeatedly until he finally went and did it. I would also inform them that you had to take his other dog in because it wasn't being cared for. He should be held accountable for his in-actions. At least he knows you have an eye on him but I doubt it will phase him in the long run until he really feels it in his wallet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Blue_Nose_Bella- We have already talked about getting her fixed a long time ago and i really don't think he will. He is supposed to get her fixed as soon as she is 6 months. But who knows. I agree completely with you

PerfectPit-I think I will do that. People here have suggested the same thing and I think that is best

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Blue_Nose_Bella- We have already talked about getting her fixed a long time ago and i really don't think he will. He is supposed to get her fixed as soon as she is 6 months. But who knows. I agree completely with you.
Well maybe you can entice him if you find a free clinic or low cost. Alot of states will fix pit bull type dogs for low cost or free. I hope he will comply with following through since you already spoke about it. Let us know what AC says :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts