Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today Jaime and I were at the gym and came home, directly to the mail box to see what had come in. We had a letter from both Westwood Animal Clinic and Care Credit, and thought maybe Westwood had sent a "Sorry for you loss" letter, and that Care Credit had sent us a reminder that we had a 1,000.00 credit line open. We were wrong.

Upon opening the Care Credit envelope, we learned that the line had been maxed out, and it had our minimum payment statement, blah blah blah. We opened the Westwood letter and it was an invoice for what Carecredit did not cover.

The only reason this came as a shock is because when we were given the bad news about Loca, the surgeon offered to pay for her necropsy, and also stated that he never charges for a procedure that ends in anesthetic death. He told us that we wouldn't have to pay for a thing.

The total amount, including the balance on the credit line and the remainder on the Vet invoice, was about 300 dollars shy of the amount we were quoted before even taking Loca in that day. I wondered at first, but started putting two and two together.

I called the Emergency Clinic where the Surgeon works afterhours (where Loca got her splint done two days before her surgery at our normal office) and asked to speak to the vet. The receptionist asked me who it was that was speaking and what it was regarding, and stated that the vet was tending to an injured animal and wasn't able to come to the phone. I told her what it was regarding, and asked if he had accidentally charged us for the procedure, and if had not been taken off of our care credit lines. I was put on hold...

The receptionist came back to the phone and stated that the doctor had removed his charge for his time during the procedure, but the clinic who he reports to had charged us for all the materials used, and that came to a total of 1100. The surgeon stated that he removed his charge, but we would have to take it up with the office manager at the clinic. Of course, it was too late to call tonight. The invoice was itemized, and going down the list we read the amounts for certain things... Like the leg pin was 480 dollars?!?! Come on no little piece of metal costs that much, it feels like an injustice because they are charging their mark up for everything used in the procedure, and we're still having to pay for everything but the vet's time.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It feels like there may be nothing we can do, but I feel wronged. I feel like this is just making it harder for us to accept that Loca is gone, and it truly shows that vets make money off the fact that you love your animals. It gives me a sense of animosity that has me wanted to rip someone apart...

The surgeon assured us we wouldn't have to pay a thing... And now this...

Our loss wasn't enough I guess :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

The necropsy report showed that it wasn't wrongful death, but that her lungs gave out during the last part of the surgery. We recieved a copy with every detail, so we know it wasn't malpractice. But what, if anything can be done? It just feels wrong that we have to pay for all of the "materials" when a) a simple procedure went terribly wrong, b) we were promised not to have to pay a dime, and c) that i know that is not the actual price of certain materials. Again, this is truly salt for our wounds.....

·
Medal polisher for kg420
3,056 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear. GRRRR someone always tryin to get money

Reactions: StaffyDaddy

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
That's utterly crappy. We took my house bunny, Amelia, to an e-vet after a run in with a small animal intolerant brat in my house and they wanted to charge us $1200 to suture her up.

I ended up getting it down to $800 and when I told my normal vet, she about hit the roof seeing as how she recommends folks to them and cussed them out. $300 of my bill was returned to me because of it, but it was still an expensive endeavor.

That being said, I'm sorry for your loss of Loca. *hugs*

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
they can charge what ever they wish for materials.
if they feel like the pin costs 480 dollars, thats what they write it up as.
i think i smell a small claims lawsuit
go get em OZ

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
yeah that's messed all the way up bro!!!!it's jus a trial bro don't let them get you.Hold ya head up and keep going.But they shouldn't charge you if they told you that.tjat's a bunch of bs on the surgeons part he should have explained that in the beginnig if that was the case.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The last thing I wanted this to come to was taking anyone to court, Im not sue happy and am totally against most claims, but this guy made a verbal agreement, and I don't know if he is backing on it and blaming it on the clinic, or if they are really just like that. there wasn't malpractice so i was thinking this wouldnt hold up in court? i guess i just need to present the situation to a lawyer? or what?

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
The last thing I wanted this to come to was taking anyone to court, Im not sue happy and am totally against most claims, but this guy made a verbal agreement, and I don't know if he is backing on it and blaming it on the clinic, or if they are really just like that. there wasn't malpractice so i was thinking this wouldnt hold up in court? i guess i just need to present the situation to a lawyer? or what?
yeah go holla at a lawyer bro see what the say about it .If the clinic is like that he should of told you that i'm gonna waive my fees but i don't know about the clinic.Then you would've had yourself prepared if something like this came up.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
yeah you could talk to a lawyer and see what they think.
if you do go to court maybe they could see reciepts for they're "material".

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm i didnt think of that. ill pay what was used im no penny pincher, but jeez man the markups gotta be outrageous. im in retail, i know all about mark up

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
well i know that with some clinics, if your a **** the doc will charge you say 1.00 for a pill, but the next person that doesnt give the doc crap all the time and isnt a pain in the butt will get the pill for 0.75 cents.

so they can price out "material" at what ever they feel like.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Oz Im so sorry to hear that give Jamie a big hug for me. I hope they do the right thing and remove the bill.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
OMG OZ, That is down right rotten! definitely place a phone call when it's an appropriate time today. After the place has denied you, follow up with a certified letter requesting that the charges be reverse and your bill wiped clean because Such and Such doctor said this (this is how most people can get out of credit card debt if done in a timely manor). You would think a vet would know when lungs collapse??? There are things that they can to get her back up and running. When your certified letter is in the mail, hit the phone books and find yourself an attorney.

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
Truly sorry for you loss.
I hope you get all resolved between you and the hospital.

I wish you the best

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG OZ, That is down right rotten! definitely place a phone call when it's an appropriate time today. After the place has denied you, follow up with a certified letter requesting that the charges be reverse and your bill wiped clean because Such and Such doctor said this (this is how most people can get out of credit card debt if done in a timely manor). You would think a vet would know when lungs collapse??? There are things that they can to get her back up and running. When your certified letter is in the mail, hit the phone books and find yourself an attorney.
How do I go about getting a certified letter? Is it just a letter that I type out, sign, get notarized and mail out? Or is it a service the post office will provide??

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you for all the kind words everyone... Shana, I think Jaime is taking some time to go speak to the office manager today to see if it can be reversed (and they'll probably say no) but in the mean time I'll work on writing a letter. How much detail has to go into it?

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Honestly this is a terrible situation. The thing is everything was oral and not on paper. I would suggest talking it out with them, if nothing else seeing if the charges can be reduced. I dont see too much good coming out of this though.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jaime just talked to the office manager, and she said that it was not them who had charged us all of the medical usage, it was the vet himself. So last night when I had called and he said, "it was not me that charged you" he was lying. Or both parties are covering up for themselves and playing the blame game. ARGGGGGGGGGGG

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Certified Mail is a option they have at the post office which requires the reciever to sign for the package/letter. Either hand written or typed will do, there's no need for a notary. Just make SURE you keep yourself a copy as well as the reciept for mailing it out. It contains the tracking number. I'm a documentation freak, I had a coronary asking dave to delete my pms even though we have storage for 1500 lmfao. Start your paper trail. It can't hurt... even if you are laughed out of an attorneys office, you have more of a chance being taken serious by keeping every detail on paper from this event.

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
I am so sorry this is happening to you Oz! Holy crap, i would be sooooo mad! seriously, if my dog passed and then i got billed some ridiculous amount when i thought i wouldn't have any bills, i would hit the roof.

RIP Loca, and I hope you and Jaime can work things out with these people, this is ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts