Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i heard that having the same sex dogs is a bad thing to do..
is that true??

and how about having dogs from the same litter. i dont think its a bad thing but if you think differently let me know

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
It really just depends on the dogs. Pit Bulls are DA anyway so with either sex you are pushing your luck. You do have a better change of having dogs get along with opposite sex than same sex. Puppies from the same litter may not be the best because you have two dog maturing at about the same time and that can cause tension. JMO

·
Registered
4 Posts
I really think it depends upon how they are trained and raised and what their dispositions are like. Generally you will always have an alpha dog when you have 2 or more. From the same litter there will always be one dominant dog who is ahead of the other and alphas. The bottom line is that you Always must establish your place as the Alpha dog First!

With pits you must be in charge, if not then you're going to be in trouble no matter what.

So great training tops everything..And lots of love and good care will help nurture a happy and well socialized dog.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Unless you are really experienced at training and raising puppies I would not get two pups at the same time. It is hard to properly train one dog and if you do not have lots of time to do everything seperately your dogs are going to bond more to each other than to you.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
Unless you are really experienced at training and raising puppies I would not get two pups at the same time. It is hard to properly train one dog and if you do not have lots of time to do everything seperately your dogs are going to bond more to each other than to you.
That's a very good point...if you want to get two pups "so they can keep each other company" you will probably end up with a mess on your hands. Training one puppy properly can be hard enough, but individually training two puppies properly can be extremely difficult for the average person. Not to mention at some point as they mature they may decide to duke out the pecking order, and of course just the fact that they are pit bulls and are DA by nature could mean you have to either rehome one later or crate and rotate for the rest of their lives or worse.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
oh ok how about two pups from different liters
Again you run into a problem of maturing at the same time.

:goodpost:
Get pup let them grow up a bit and if you want another dog then get one once you have some training on the first puppy. I love having puppies around the same age but I have been raising dog for a long time and very experienced. It is twice the work but I also stay at home all day with the dogs. I have had 2 sets of puppies in the last two years at the same time. All females, and one set still gets along to this day (for now it could alway change) the other set had to be separated when they were still young because they were not getting along . So it just depends on the dog and to have two puppies at once you are doubling your headache.

If you are thinking about getting two because you want the other one to have a playmate you have to understand they will probably end up getting separated at some point because they do not get along. APBT's do not always do good with other dogs no matter how hard you try. They you could have two dogs who don't get along and now you have to separate your dogs forever. Are you willing to crate and rotate dogs?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I've raised two puppies at once twice in my life, and you can't pay me to do it a third time. (If the situation was exceptional, like two of the best breedings I've ever seen happening at once, I would do it. But under normal circumstances, you crazy, ese? Not in my house!) You are limited in what you can do with multiples. Its harder to socialize two dogs than one, harder to housebreak two dogs at the same time, and you always run the risk of them over-bonding to each other. I've never had my multiples come out as smart or well-balanced as quickly as my singletons.

As for same sex pairings, that's a no brainer IMO. A well-balanced male/female pair is the best choice if you must have more than one. Since the questions seem to be rather newb-ish, I might as well add that if you're going to do that, you need to neuter at least one of the two.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
my cousins males i noticed would get into it , thats how i ended up w/ Dre.. lol .. but he has 4 females that run the yard together, they all get along fine

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
doesn't matter what sex the dog is or what litter they are from. APBT'S are or at one point will be DA. you may get lucky and have two dogs get along great or..you can have a world of sh!t on your hands. you will never know when or if it will even happen. you could make the mistake of leaving the dogs alone sometime in their lives together (because they were BEST FRIENDS) and come home to two dead dogs or a badly hurt dog and a dead dog.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks everyone for your thoughts.

it really made me think about it.. maybe its not a could idea. maybe just one pup will do just fine.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
ok thanks everyone for your thoughts.

it really made me think about it.. maybe its not a could idea. maybe just one pup will do just fine.
Good advice was already posted.

I'd never recommend having two pups at the same time for a newbie home or anyone who doesn't have tons of time and training experience to do it right.

I have raised sets of both same sex and opposite sex litter mates other and it is a ton of work. people often get two thinking oh, they will train and entertain themselves and have a "friend" while the humans are away at work.
When in actuallity, not all dogs want a canine comapainion .
It is 2x
the work,
vet bills and overall care bills,
amount of training to do it right,
amount of clean up,
not to mention, pups need one on one time with their humans to make proper bonds, and get proper training.

All that being said in the end it is twice the love, but it takes a ton along the way to get there...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts