Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am new to this site and I've been reading quite a bit on here before posting to see if I could figure out what is going on with my poor 13 week old pit bull puppy, Remy. Sorry it may be long but trying to give you all the info I can.

For the past month or so id say, he has been itching like crazy and it has seemed to just have gotten worse and worse over time. He wakes us up in the middle of the night scratching and biting at his skin(his legs, the area above his tail, his paws, the backs of his front legs, his armpits and chest/belly area). He also tends to lick his private area quite often as well. I have been doing SO much extensive research on the internet about allergies. The first thing I did was changed our laundry soup to the hypoallergenic one and got rid of his old bed we first got him, one because it was washed a few times in the other soap and two he's grown out of it as well (we got him a bigger one now) I didnt notice any difference within a week so I thought may as well change the food he's on since I was reading it could be a food allergy. So we have him on Primal Raw food which I read was a great starting point for people looking to transition to a raw diet without worrying about depleting nutrients from him since everything is all done for me. Plus I'm having a baby who is due on Christmas and I didn't want to commit to doing the homemade raw diet until I'm settled with a new baby in the house incase it got to be too much for me at once.
He has only been on this new diet for a week and I did also read (which not sure if this is true) he could be detoxing from the kibble he was on but again he isn't that old so that also makes me wonder if thats even the case. His stools have gone down to 1-2 a day and in general his coat is really soft besides where he has been biting at himself and scratching himself raw. Sometime his underarms almost look as if they are bleeding, but its just from him scratching them so much, his skin is raw (no bleeding). It kills both my boyfriend and I to see him this way because we just want to help so badly but I just figured if I posted a few photos that maybe you would see if its what sarcpotic mange looks like. I looked on the internet and the photos I saw are of such horrible cases that it looks NOTHING like my boys skin. I am just at a loss and want my poor guy to feel better.

I guess I could note he has been to the vet, well for vaccines and I did mention it to them and the vet told me it could be food allergies which I told him I was switching that out to see if maybe it was that, and that he's too young for seasonal allergies, but he didn't seem concerned with mange or mention it so I don't know. I am tempted to take him to another vet but I did read skin scrapings don't always work or test positive.

ANY help is greatly appreciated as I am just so frustrated because it seems nothing I do helps.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Which program are you using?
I've been feeding my boy Prey Model Raw for about 5 years now. The detox time is usually a little hair loss and a dull coat. I don't know anyone that has dealt with that much itching from it. If you are feeding something premade or store bought look at the ingredients. Maybe switch to a different brand with less ingredients. Really all they need is meat, bone, and organ 8:1:1. I couldn't go with premade because Ecko is allergic to the added herbs and some of the veg they put in them.
If the vet doesn't seem worried then complete the transition to raw and see how he does after a month on it. You can use organic coconut oil as a topical, I would also suggest adding some bovine colostrum to his diet to boost his immune system. You could use Benadryl for the really rough nights too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been using the Primal Complete Raw Formula's and I have read REALLY awesome reviews on them. I just wasn't sure if maybe its a chicken allergy since that was the kibble I was feeding him when we got him (Simply Nourish puppy food with chicken, peas and potatoes)

Here is the link to what I have been feeding him and here is the ingredient list:
Lamb Hearts, Lamb Livers, Ground Lamb Bones, Organic Kale, Organic Carrots, Organic Squash, Organic Broccoli, Organic Apples, Cranberries, Blueberries, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Organic Parsley, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Salmon Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Quinoa Sprout Powder, Dried Organic Kelp, Alfalfa, Vitamin E Supplement.

I also recently got the Venison as well since I did read to change up the meat every so often and here are those ingredients:
Venison, Venison Hearts, Venison Livers, Ground Venison Bones, Organic Collard Greens, Organic Squash, Organic Green Beans, Cranberries, Blueberries, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Montmorillonite Clay, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Organic Cilantro, Organic Ginger, Sardine Oil, Alfalfa, Dried Organic Kelp, Organic Quinoa Sprout Powder, Organic Coconut Oil, Vitamin E Supplement.

I actually have been giving him coconut oil internally 1 x a day and I also do rub it on his skin and pay most attention to where he tends to itch and bite at.

I was thinking about just doing the homemade thing but i am so worried that with me having a baby in late December that if I get busy with that I may end up not being able to keep up with his diet and I don't want to fail him which is why I started with Primal to see if it would possibly help. But maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get into the homemade thing & just prep his meals for when I have my son so Im not scrabbling trying to make his food after just having a baby. I just don't know if I should even use chicken at all or if it would matter since its not in kibble form and its actually raw.

I need to look into the bovine colostrum & I gave him benadryl twice but didnt seem to work, BUT it could be possible that since its the off brand it didnt work as well? I was TERRIFIED to give him it the first time but I wanted him to have some relief at night. He weighs 17lbs as of last wednesday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It looks like mites or maybe manges I would try putting Vaseline on the problems spots the parasites that cause the problem can't breathe through the Vaseline and usually die because I can't breathe through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some more photos. The red bumps are now more on his belly and groin area and even on his little sack :( photo below of it...

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Benedryl will alleviate the itching. (1mg/lb) If you haven't had him on raw for 30+ days or more, you won't see a change yet.
And if after 30+ days you don't see a change, then it's possible he is allergic to something in the mix.
I like PMR because I know what's in it and if there is a reaction, I can back track to one ingredient and slowly add them back in so I can find the culprit.
PMR isn't difficult. I premake meals a month in advance, so I pull it out of the freezer and feed him just like you do the premade stuff. It takes me about 2 hours every month to 2 months. Depending on how much I want to prep in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I figured I need to give it more time, I just feel like he's getting more bumps every day so that was concerning me. I am going to research the heck out of PMR and start doing that and see how it goes. Should I start with Chicken even though I was thinking that could of been what caused this reaction in the kibble I was feeding him before the Primal food? I have read that its different if its raw and not the crap found in kibble but again i don't know!

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Processing/cooking chicken changes the molecular make up of it. So in it's raw state it is completely different then what you find in kibble. Ecko is VERY allergic to processed chicken, but raw, it makes up the primary protein of his diet because it is the cheapest.
Don't get me wrong, I have heard of dogs being allergic to raw chicken too, but it is very few and far between.
PMR starts with just basic skinned raw chicken backs for the first week. (none of the lit will tell you to skin it, but trust me, you'll want to skin it) If you can't find backs you can start with legs.
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I am a work smarter not harder kind of person, so I have meal prep down to a science.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats what I read from what I've researched.
Awesome. I did read to take the skin off because it can cause diarrhea when first starting out. Im wondering if I should finish off what I bought for the premade stuff or just start the PMR right away? What is your suggestion? Whatever is going to make most sense and get my boy on the track to less itching I am willing to do.

Thanks, I will do some research today and if I have any questions i will definitely get in touch. I truly appreciate the help. :pup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
My pup went through the exact same thing your pup is going through. My vet told me that it could be the chicken that caused the allergy, so I switched him to a salmon and whitefish based food and he's been doing fine ever since. But every dog is different I hope you figure out what's going on with your pup.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you, me too! Its just so hard watching him scratch SO much. I feel like every time I turn around I'm like "Remy stop scratching" and I hate telling him no cause I can ONLY imagine how shitty it feels if he doesn't but his poor skin gets SO raw.

Its also hard on my boyfriend and I since we are up at all hours of the night with him! I am keeping my fingers crossed that starting the Prey Model Raw diet helps. I know its best for him regardless but I am hoping its what cures whatever allergy reaction he is having.
I just don't think its Mange, but again I don't know. Im not itchy and don't have red bumps and he's ALWAYS on myself or my boyfriend so I feel like I would of gotten something or he would of by now if it was sarcoptic. Who knows!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you, me too! Its just so hard watching him scratch SO much. I feel like every time I turn around I'm like "Remy stop scratching" and I hate telling him no cause I can ONLY imagine how shitty it feels if he doesn't but his poor skin gets SO raw.

Its also hard on my boyfriend and I since we are up at all hours of the night with him! I am keeping my fingers crossed that starting the Prey Model Raw diet helps. I know its best for him regardless but I am hoping its what cures whatever allergy reaction he is having.

I just don't think its Mange, but again I don't know. Im not itchy and don't have red bumps and he's ALWAYS on myself or my boyfriend so I feel like I would of gotten something or he would of by now if it was sarcoptic. Who knows!
I understand I thought my boy had mange, fleas, ticks you name it I blamed it lol. I ended up buying a shampoo from the vet that was like $26 and your supposed to lather them up and let it sit for ten minutes (good luck with that part) and repeat every other day and tbh I don't know if it worked or not because we changed his diet at the same time but it did soothe the scratching all night a bit.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Frozen food can't get anymore frozen. So if you wanted to go with PMR you can just leave the premade in the freezer. Once you have his allergies in check you can try it again for a meal and see if he breaks out or not.

Duoxo is a very good shampoo. I use a holistic vet and this is what they recommend. It has phytosphingosine in it which is supposed to help reduce the histamines or something like that. My vet went into great detail and used huge words that made my eyes glaze over. You can get it online for like $15 bucks. I use it on Ecko for every wash. I also use the wipes and spray for his feet.

Thank you. It took a lot of patience, experimentation, and research to make him look as good as he does now. He was almost bald and deaf from ear infections due to allergies when I got him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Renard804
Yeah I got some shampoo and conditioner with Hydro something or other in it and he said have him sit for 10 mins and my goodness 10 mins has NEVER gone by slower. He already isn't the biggest fan of baths and to make him sit around for 10 mins was a nightmare haha but we did hold out as long as possible but only did it once cause my vet said only do that one once every 2-3 weeks I guess and it didnt really seem to help any as far as I could tell.

EckoMac
Very true...I think I need to just get him on PMR asap. Should I start it for his dinner tonight or wait til the first meal of the day? If tonight I will go after work to the store and see what I can find for him. Thankfully I live next to a place called Lee Lee's its an asian market so when I get into the organs and different meats I have a place I can shop that is close by. I also read to keep the sodium under 75mg as that can cause runny stools?

He was 17lbs when we took him for his last set of boosters last wednesday so i am wondering if I need to calculate how much to feed based on his estimated ideal body weight as an adult or if i should do the 10% of his current weight. Not sure what would make the most sense. and I do know I need to only feed him the chicken legs or backs for a week or so? correct me if i am wrong. Then introduce other things once I know his body is handling it all correctly.

I will look into that shampoo as well. I just want him to have some relief while I try and work out his allergies. Poor lil man.

And thats so awesome you got him looking and feeling great. Ugh breaks my heart to hear when they aren't doing well but I love good outcome stories! :woof::woof:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have u changed his food? I went through something similar with my girl she was alergic to corn as soon as we put her on a hypoallergenic diet it cleared up

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I WAS feeding him the brand Simply Nourish Grain Free for puppies and it was Chicken, peas, and potato flavor when we first got him. Then about 2 or so weeks after we got him he started to itch but we also had taken him to my boyfriends moms where she has grass so we thought maybe it was that since we don't have grass in our backyard, its just rocks. So we gave him a bath and it never got any better, just worse from there...thats when I started googling a bunch of stuff and realized it could be a food allergy or environmental (even the vet said he isn't in grass enough to cause this long of a reaction) I then changed out laundry soap to a hypoallergenic one by tide and washed our bedding since he sleeps with us and then I also looked into the Raw diets such as PMR and BARF, but PMR I heard is the best route to go which I am seeing since I am currently feeding him Primal Raw which is a commercial brand of raw food but it does contains veggies which there is maybe some he may be allergic to thanks to EckoMac for pointing that out to me on being a possibility!

So now I am going to do the PMR diet and go from there. It seemed a little much to me since I am due to have my son on Christmas and its my first so that in itself is going to be a job but I researched it more and I think if I prep it before he comes I will be ok and I have my boyfriend to help me as well. Im willing to do anything to help my little dude out. Hate seeing him itch more then he plays.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts