Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sasha is 10 weeks old, has been with us for 3 days lol. The first and second day she slept in my bed and when people entered the room at night she growled at them. I thought it was ok. Now when people come in the door she barks at them and then is friendly once she is up close.

My old Pit used to do this too and she never hurt a fly, just barked at people coming in the house then was friendly. Is this normal in Pits? If not how can i stop it?

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
My dog does it. More so lately she growls at men she doesn't know. But doesn't try to go at them or attack. Just shows her displeasure.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, yea my old pit did it and so is my pup. I'm fine with it as long as she's not being aggressive towards ppl.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
My dog does it. More so lately she growls at men she doesn't know. But doesn't try to go at them or attack. Just shows her displeasure.
If she didn't have a bad experience around a man, she could just be undersocialized with men. Also, if you feel any tension or anxiety around men, that would easily explain why she shows "displeasure".

So should I bother with trying to stop it?
if you encourage it or it becomes excessive it could be your pup is territorial. Territorial apbts are bad news, simply because they feel that your house is THEIR domain and if they feel threatened, it could be simply because someone stepped foot into their "realm".. Ask Indigo about this

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks StaffyDaddy,

Even though she is nice with them once they approach, does that still mean she could be territorial? Both my pup and my old Pit(was about 11-13 years old) do it. Meaning they would bark until the stranger approached then they were nice.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Thanks StaffyDaddy,

Even though she is nice with them once they approach, does that still mean she could be territorial? Both my pup and my old Pit(was about 11-13 years old) do it. Meaning they would bark until the stranger approached then they were nice.
Well it doesn't sound like its a problem, but then I don't know much about that subject. I know a dog will alert, but if you encourage the behavior they'll do it more and more, almost at a compulsive level where anything they smell or see or hear theyll bark at, and if they become territorial then they could snap at people when they approach. BUT if your other dog was like that, and you saw no incidents with people coming over, then youre probably fine.

·
Original Prankster
13,927 Posts
Well it doesn't sound like its a problem, but then I don't know much about that subject. I know a dog will alert, but if you encourage the behavior they'll do it more and more, almost at a compulsive level where anything they smell or see or hear theyll bark at, and if they become territorial then they could snap at people when they approach. BUT if your other dog was like that, and you saw no incidents with people coming over, then youre probably fine.
Agreed. You don't want him to be possesive of you either. My mom had an APBT named C.D. (Creeping Death) and he got so bad that any one to close to her was in danger of getting bit. One night her boyfriend came home at 11pm and she was a sleep. He tried going to bed like normal and C.D. launched off the bed. He grabbed the bat by the door and luckily C.D. bit the bat and not him. He had to back out of the room and shut the door and wait for her to calm him down. He went to live with my aunt after that.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol, for the past two days she hasn't barked when she hears the door, maybe she has learned that keys in the door mean people are about to say hi and praise her for a little bit...

She still stays alert and barks when she hears weird noises from the apt upstairs(they have 2 dogs)... She's so cute but she's growing up so big soon I won't have a pup no more lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts