Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry for the length. Gargamel gets freaked out by a lot of things. He has gotten spooked by rolled over trash barrel so bad he accidentally took me out when he forgot I was in front of him and ran into me.. I then started to leave my barrel flipped and would have a friend move it when I walked him by and got him to realize they are not attacking him and now on trash days I don’t have to worry about being taken out. He is scared of balloons. Since they look like balls, I haven’t desensitized him to balloons because I fear he will start to WANT them like he does when he sees any basketball and since they are usually attached to a kids wrist or around kids, I let him think they are space aliens out to get him. Kites, geesh that day at the beach turned into poor Mel so freaked out by these things over his head we had to move away from them. Flying flags, forget it! I need to cross the street while he is rubbernecking thinking they are out to get him. These are things I have dealt with and are able to get past easily. Also, not to put him in the situation.

My issue is he is scared of trucks. 18 Wheelers, FedEx trucks, Busses, anything that’s loud and big. I live off a main route and I walk a block on the busy street, then walk on the quiet street. Seems he is frightened they are gonna jump the sidewalk or something and get him. He walks fine, but timidly and he is not enjoying himself. I initially would sooth him and doggie talk to him about relaxing and its OK. Then I stopped that and tried to act normal for a few weeks, just walk same pace same everything as on quiet streets, as soon as something bigger than a car passes he is tucked tail, sad puppy eyes not having a good walk. After a few weeks, I stopped at a park on the main street at a bench and tossed him ball to him for a game of catch, he was good and then a truck passes and he is all nervous and wants off the street.

How do I desensitize him towards trucks. There is a great beach/hiking trail over the bridge and I need to go on the main street and cross a bridge to get there. I could drive but I kinda feel that’s giving up. Or, do I give up?

If your dog is afraid of something, how do you know when you training him to get “over it” does more damage than good? I mean if he is forever afraid, do I let him be afraid? Or do I try to force him and if so how would you do it?

·
Registered
795 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with Annie...

We take her on daily walks, and have since we rescued her.

Just recently she is scared of anything that unexpectedly shows up.

I'm sort of dumbfounded by this considering we've put quite a lot of work into socialization.

We have signed her up for Obedience classes, but they do not start until May.

Looking forward to some responses!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
He sounds like my Bella a little bit. But she was raised in the country and woods of NH so I expected her to be scared. However, she was only a puppy when I got her and has since been desensitized to most city noises. She also used to walk tail tucked and acted like she didn't enjoy herself. But I just kept taking her around the city and walked her thru alot of foot traffic and she got over everything pretty quick. I still introduce her to lots of different things. Took her to the local kids park the other day and climbed on all the play structures with her. Walked up and made the swings move, walked over the moving bridge and went thru tunnels with her lol! We had fun and it was very early AM so there wasn't any kids there. She looked to me as if to say okay mom I trust you that it is okay. I know gargamel is older.....what is his history? Was he socialized alot as a pup? I would say to keep working with him and try slowly desensitizing him to noises and objects.Hopefully PK aka Performance kennels will chime in with ideas. She is a trainer on here and may have some good ideas for you. :)

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Well I take him everywhere with me. He doesn't like when we drive by trucks either. Friends houses, BBQs, parties, etc. His dad had a motorcycle so he has no issues with them, no matter how close they come to us. Unfortuntly due to his litter attacking him he was at the hospital for a week and almost didnt make it between 4-5 weeks. He has been with us since then. Is that what you mean by socialization? We go to the beach but only had one on one sessions with a trainer. I only bring him around dogs he knows or owners of dogs who understand the breed just in case, god forbid, he displays DA. Usually it's just my friends and I and their kids.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Santino is the same way. i've corrected some of his issues but it's mostly all just exposure and training him around objects that make noise,look funny and moves around. <<<< i think i just described myself :hammer: but yeah you're not the only one. I carry treats and put them on the object he's scared of and spend sometime around that said object. i would go back for 2-3 days just so that he knows it's still there and if we see it on our walks he won't be intrigued by it.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. I guess I will just keep at it. Didn't know when you just stop cause in a way it not necessary, but I didn't know whats better, bribery to do it, or just not going for walks on busy streets, lol. then again I feel its a confidence thing and should be addressed and not ignored. every dog is different, I know. Didn't know if there were any tell tale signs is all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have no problems with my pit, but my very first dog i rescued from the shelter, buddy an english springer spaniel. he was 7 when i got him and terrified of EVERYTHING. people, cars, leaves, trucks, trees, wind...you name it. i always felt awful for him and made taking him on his walks a real pain. he was more of a flight than a fight lol would try to run from everything. i started training him with tons of walks everyday. 7 or 8 sometimes more, just around our house and the block so i could have a "safe place" to start. once he got used to his surroundings, i'd start him out in a sit when i saw something coming down the street ( say a car) if he tried to dart, i'd stand behind him so my legs would block him. after the scary thing went away i waited until he was calm again then i'd give him a treat (i used hotdogs, because that was the only smelly thing that he would "work" for) i did this process of sit, wait, treat for a few months, somedays we'd back step most days i'd see great sucess. even if it was that he didn't flinch when a leaf blew across the street. eventually i didn't have to wait for him calm down. then it was just sit, treat and on with our walking. he's now 13 and the best dog i've ever had. my heart dog. he goes anywhere and everywhere with me. and has no problems with anything and will still sit by my side to this day when we happen across people until i tell him ok so he can get his share of lovins from strangers......it took time (and alot of hot dogs) but it was so well worth it. i still can't believe how scared he was looking at him interact with new people and new situations everyday. that's what i'd recommend. scout out the scary things, sit, wait, treat and be on your way.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have no problems with my pit, but my very first dog i rescued from the shelter, buddy an english springer spaniel. he was 7 when i got him and terrified of EVERYTHING. people, cars, leaves, trucks, trees, wind...you name it. i always felt awful for him and made taking him on his walks a real pain. he was more of a flight than a fight lol would try to run from everything. i started training him with tons of walks everyday. 7 or 8 sometimes more, just around our house and the block so i could have a "safe place" to start. once he got used to his surroundings, i'd start him out in a sit when i saw something coming down the street ( say a car) if he tried to dart, i'd stand behind him so my legs would block him. after the scary thing went away i waited until he was calm again then i'd give him a treat (i used hotdogs, because that was the only smelly thing that he would "work" for) i did this process of sit, wait, treat for a few months, somedays we'd back step most days i'd see great sucess. even if it was that he didn't flinch when a leaf blew across the street. eventually i didn't have to wait for him calm down. then it was just sit, treat and on with our walking. he's now 13 and the best dog i've ever had. my heart dog. he goes anywhere and everywhere with me. and has no problems with anything and will still sit by my side to this day when we happen across people until i tell him ok so he can get his share of lovins from strangers......it took time (and alot of hot dogs) but it was so well worth it. i still can't believe how scared he was looking at him interact with new people and new situations everyday. that's what i'd recommend. scout out the scary things, sit, wait, treat and be on your way.
thanks. I will try it. I trained him to sot at interesting streets that way, I will try and incorporate it when trucks go by and see how it goes. I appreciate the reply :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts