Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got back from walking my AST or APBT (depends on who ya ask) Jolene. While on the walk, A male pitbull came bursting out of his house running at us at what seemed like 100mph. And this was a real deal bulldog 60lbs and ripped. For those 10 seconds I had no idea what to do. Pick her up? Run? Hide? Climb a tree? (yeah, right). I decided the best thing to do was stay still and say the "F" word about 20 times in a row. He stopped short and started sniffing and she was doing her fast darting thing. It took what seemed like an hour for his owner to come out. He seemed like he only had some sex action on his mind and the owner calmed him down. Nothing happened at all. I have no experiance breaking up a dog fight. I heard you need 2 people holding on to both sets of hind legs. But I was alone. What are you supposed to do if this situation turned into something else?
BTW, I asked how she worked him to keep him so conditioned and she said "nothing, I dont even walk him. Its just the way he is"

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Invest in a break stick and carry it all times! I also love how the dumb owner said she never walks her dog that's just the way he is......that's why the minute he could be free to run he did just that! Poor dog! They need mental and physical stimulation and if they don't get it then they will find some way to release it. Glad nothing became of the incident.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Invest in a break stick and carry it all times! I also love how the dumb owner said she never walks her dog that's just the way he is......that's why the minute he could be free to run he did just that! Poor dog! They need mental and physical stimulation and if they don't get it then they will find some way to release it. Glad nothing became of the incident.
:goodpost: Once again great advice! Heed it. Or invest in a glock! That street'l turn into a box for a sec tho :)

Another option is a pocket siren. Pull the cord and point and wow oh wow is it loud. Send any of em runnin!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
You carry a break stick everywhere you and your dog goes never leave home without it because not everyone knows how to properly contain their animals you still have to be responsible for your's even when others are careless. Buy a few break sticks tonight and here is a basic tutorial on how to use one properly. If you ever have to break up a fight the most important thing is to remain calm DO NOT PANIC!!! This is the worst thing you can do the calmer you are the faster you can break the dogs apart with minimal damage it only takes a few seconds with a break stick.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
good post sadie, to OP as said above invest in a break stick and some mase!!!

do not haste to mase a dog you may be saving it or your dogs life!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I own break sticks but I really don't think they are going to be a lot of help in a one-person two-dog fight in the middle of the street. Whatever you do is going to take time, especially if the loose dog isn't wearing a collar and especially if their owner is a useless dumbdumb. Personally, I try to scare the other dog away before they make contact. I carry a stick and will call a dog's bluff if they're running out at me. That may evoke an aggressive response from a supremely confident dog that's been trained in man-stopping work -- the odds of that being very small -- but most dogs aren't prepared to take on a dog and its human at the same time. If push comes to shove, I'm thankful my dogs can protect themselves against a like-sized adversary.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just got back from walking my AST or APBT (depends on who ya ask) Jolene. While on the walk, A male pitbull came bursting out of his house running at us at what seemed like 100mph. And this was a real deal bulldog 60lbs and ripped. For those 10 seconds I had no idea what to do. Pick her up? Run? Hide? Climb a tree? (yeah, right). I decided the best thing to do was stay still and say the "F" word about 20 times in a row. He stopped short and started sniffing and she was doing her fast darting thing. It took what seemed like an hour for his owner to come out. He seemed like he only had some sex action on his mind and the owner calmed him down. Nothing happened at all. I have no experiance breaking up a dog fight. I heard you need 2 people holding on to both sets of hind legs. But I was alone. What are you supposed to do if this situation turned into something else?
BTW, I asked how she worked him to keep him so conditioned and she said "nothing, I dont even walk him. Its just the way he is"[/QUC

So glad no one was hurt. but i'd recomend carrying pepper spray. I carry it for personal protection everywhere i go, i've had to pepper spray a large mutt one day while jogging. i didnt have my dog with me thankfully. i probably wouldnt have been as calm.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Never pull on their hind quarters. You will injury your dog....Ask my husband when he did it trying to break up a fight. My dog was on bed rest for a month.

·
Registered
121 Posts
The best thing to do is try to stop the dog fight before it escalades or before any dog has a hold of one another by grabbing both dogs from the collar and separating them. If that isn't an option because they have a hold of eachother then use the break sticks which are always good to carry when ur walking ur dog. And for the record never grab the dogs from their hind legs to break up a fight.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
A local apbt owner has a serious DA male. Completely unable to be around other dog 50lb gladiator built dog. He knows it it has a muzzle, harness, e collar but he swears by MACE. He does all he can to prevent any sort of incursion. Avoids main dog travel routes, crosses streets, hides him behind cars. Dude does all he can to be as responsible bulldog owner. Same dog is super tolerant of young children fun loving life around people. Total joy to be around, but not dogs

He swears by it, mace. Even to give the dog a warning correction. He says the bulldog hears it and changes his demeanor completely

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
A local apbt owner has a serious DA male. Completely unable to be around other dog 50lb gladiator built dog. He knows it it has a muzzle, harness, e collar but he swears by MACE. He does all he can to prevent any sort of incursion. Avoids main dog travel routes, crosses streets, hides him behind cars. Dude does all he can to be as responsible bulldog owner. Same dog is super tolerant of young children fun loving life around people. Total joy to be around, but not dogs

He swears by it, mace. Even to give the dog a warning correction. He says the bulldog hears it and changes his demeanor completely
Good to see you have other responsible owners around where you are!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
If it's a one man fight with 2 dogs mase comes in handy spray the other dog and use the break stick to part them quickly it's as simple as that LOL.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
I kinda put myself in the right state of mind before I step out with my big dogs. Like Clint Eastwood, cool, calm and in control. panic is not an option cuz my dogs fire up when I do. My voice and the control I keep of my dog will usually get the dog to stop or get the owners attention. if they do hook up, I always move towards a mailbox or signpost to tie my dog to and do exactly what Howard did in the video posted by Sadie. too bad I never had a vid to teach me, I learned the hard way......pepper spray and mace will also effect you and your dog if you are not able to move on.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
A local apbt owner has a serious DA male. Completely unable to be around other dog 50lb gladiator built dog. He knows it it has a muzzle, harness, e collar but he swears by MACE.
Bob never leaves the yard without a muzzle, prong backed up by a slip collar along with his e collar. I never leave the yard with Bob without my stick. hes a serious dog

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Bob never leaves the yard without a muzzle, prong backed up by a slip collar along with his e collar. I never leave the yard with Bob without my stick. hes a serious dog

See that is being responsible. You know the specifics with bob and take every proper precaution. I believe knowing all that has to lower your chance of a incursion because knowing ahead of time gives you the smarts to avoid the situation that could get the both of you hot

My hat is off to you dave!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Use MACE if your alone or a break stick, though a break stick will be harder to use if both dogs are really going at it.

If you have neither, get hold of a water in a squeegee bottle, squirt the water up the one dogs nose, it should make the dog release for long enough for you to separate them

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Along with a break stick and things others mentioned. Since a lot of the times I am walking alone, and the other dogs don't have collars. I bring extra slip leads. You can put it around one of the dog's waist's drag them to something (or step on the leash.) tie them off. Then separate the other dog.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Along with a break stick and things others mentioned. Since a lot of the times I am walking alone, and the other dogs don't have collars. I bring extra slip leads. You can put it around one of the dog's waist's drag them to something (or step on the leash.) tie them off. Then separate the other dog.
Good suggestion. I hadn't thought of doing that before!

Reactions: Celestial88

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
STILL! mace is crazy ! ya ever been in the presence of deployed mace? you'll be choking and puking, blinded and freaked out like the dogs. You WILL lose control of the situation

·
Registered
225 Posts
I own break sticks but I really don't think they are going to be a lot of help in a one-person two-dog fight in the middle of the street. Whatever you do is going to take time, especially if the loose dog isn't wearing a collar and especially if their owner is a useless dumbdumb. Personally, I try to scare the other dog away before they make contact. I carry a stick and will call a dog's bluff if they're running out at me. That may evoke an aggressive response from a supremely confident dog that's been trained in man-stopping work -- the odds of that being very small -- but most dogs aren't prepared to take on a dog and its human at the same time. If push comes to shove, I'm thankful my dogs can protect themselves against a like-sized adversary.
I kinda put myself in the right state of mind before I step out with my big dogs. Like Clint Eastwood, cool, calm and in control. panic is not an option cuz my dogs fire up when I do. My voice and the control I keep of my dog will usually get the dog to stop or get the owners attention. if they do hook up, I always move towards a mailbox or signpost to tie my dog to and do exactly what Howard did in the video posted by Sadie. too bad I never had a vid to teach me, I learned the hard way......pepper spray and mace will also effect you and your dog if you are not able to move on.
like they said....

Same thing happened to me and my male 2X recently. Now when we go out, I go with the idea it may happen again, and am prepared. I don't bring my break-stick, I've only used it in 'practice' and It's classified as a concealed weapon where I live...arrestable offense. Sometimes I bring a walking stick, but I'm an old dude so it doesn't look too strange to on lookers.
I kept myself between the dogs...right or wrong, since both were ' pit bulls ' I felt comfortable as a buffer...If it were a GSD attacking, I might think different.
I also shout...'Go Home', I'm loud, it's off putting and gets attention.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.