Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my girl Stunnah is **** Scared of people, but more MEN, shes been like this for a while now and thought it was just a phrase she was going threw, but found out the other day its not, my FLATMATE scars :mad:& throw her toys at her:mad:, but not so that it hits her just like infront of her. I told him straight up to not throw them at her, he just goes "oh wat shes already a sook" i told him "YEA NO WONDER Y"...and yesterday wen i took her to training wid me my mate was patting nd playing wid her but then wen one of my guy mates went to pat her she ran between my mates legs nd layed on the ground and would not let my guy mate pat her. Its gotten that bad that she wont even come down to the house if hes home or unless im sitting outside & when hes not home.

Shes 15 months so im wondering am i able to get her out of being scared of people, ITS MORE MEN & KIDS, but once she knows the kids shes algud, she just wont let any guys pat her.

I only blame myself and feel soooo bad for not being able to pick up on what my flatmate has been doing to her!! :( :(...she is the sweetest thing eva but she cant show people cos shes **** scared of them!.

So yea is it to late to help her?.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's not too late to improve her behavior, in fact I think it would be best to start now before she reaches full maturity to make sure her problems don't get worse (sometimes fear can turn into aggression.) However, desensitization and counter conditioning are tricky to train, and at this point it seems like possibly a mix of bad experiences and lack of thorough socialization which you will have to make up for in baby steps. If she's not spayed, you might want to do that now as her fearfulness is in part genetic and disqualifies her from breeding.

It can take a long time, but you have to get her used to seeing men and kids, and then slowly convince her that being near and interacting with men and kids is more rewarding than scary. To do that safely and correctly, I think a trainer is a must. And your flatmate cannot continue his behavior, he would be a big help if he cooperated with her training.

Also, never baby her, pet her, or in any way reward her fearful behavior. It can make things worse.

-Christen and Leela

·
Registered
546 Posts
No other advice but I'd be losing that a-hole flatmate! Nobody effs with my pets like that - he's been messing with her no doubt.

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
I'd say bringing one of your guy friends over who isn't an ass, and have him sit down. And call her over. Give him some really yummy treats so your dog is inclined to go to him. Then when your dog does go over to him, have him hand her a treat then praise her. Don't try petting her for a while so that she doesn't get scared. But with the trreats she'll see interacting with him is pleasant.

Do you crate your dog when you're not home? Cuz it sounds like your flatmate is messing with your dog when you're not home. If you're not crating her I'd start and if you can't, then I'd put her somewhere where your flatmate can't mess with her. Some people get a kick out of messing with skiddish pets. Good luck! :)

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
I'd say bringing one of your guy friends over who isn't an ass, and have him sit down. And call her over. Give him some really yummy treats so your dog is inclined to go to him. Then when your dog does go over to him, have him hand her a treat then praise her. Don't try petting her for a while so that she doesn't get scared. But with the trreats she'll see interacting with him is pleasant.

Do you crate your dog when you're not home? Cuz it sounds like your flatmate is messing with your dog when you're not home. If you're not crating her I'd start and if you can't, then I'd put her somewhere where your flatmate can't mess with her. Some people get a kick out of messing with skiddish pets. Good luck! :)
:goodpost:

I also suggest putting a deadbolt on your BR door & locking her in your room while your gone. This will keep your dog & other personal stuff safe as well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys!..Well i had one of my guy mates come over on thrusday nd she wouldnt go near him, not even wen i threw her toy over to him, but since thursday lastweek to Today she has spent all day with him while iv been at work..the first day that they were alone she was skiddish but then she slowly got use to him & i noticed on Sunday she would rather cuddle him then me..lol..which i dnt really care cos im just happy that she opend up that much to a male. This whole weekend she was GREAT!..She neva seen my flatmate cos i avoided going home while my guy mate was over for the weekend.
I wish i could send my flatmate packing but its his parents house that we r staying in, but neva mynd cos im moving nxt month!..

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
That is great she came around tat much in a short time. You need to expose her to other people. I would go about slowly. Just take her out to a park or some place where there is alot of activity going on . Maybe you could sit and let her watch but not really enteract with people. gradually you could move closer and have a few friends enter act with her maybe just walking with her handing out a few treats to her. Good luck.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea she came around really good..my mate thought that she wouldnt let him near her....yea i take her out with me wen i go to training on wednesdays, she gets along well with a couple of the girls in the team, bt yea itl tak time to get her around bak use to men & kids, wen i visit my kuzzins i sit out the back and watch their kids walk stunnah around the yard with the lead, well more she walks them lol..so in a matter of time she will come right.. :D

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Just make sure you expose her to people doesn't know too. Maybe go out to park activities. I don't know what happens in your area but we have different festivles that happen here durining the spring, summer and fall. It is really hard here in the winter time not much outside actiies happen so we always havea few set backs during that time.

Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i try take her to popular parks & 2day at the park we was sitting in the car and i herd these lil kids say to each other "go ask if we can pat her dog" lol i got stunnah out & yelled out to the kids and asked if they wanted a pat so they came ova, must say stunnah enjoyed the tummy & back scratch but was still weary of them...

haha Ares thats an awesome pic!..LMAO..Haha

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on Stunnah...Well shes doing alryt so far, i have to tell any guys that come to pat her to just stand still and let her go to them, cos at touch rugby training one of the guys went to go pat her and she backed off and barked at him (which shes neva done before) so now any guys that want to pat her she has to approch them. But also i think its Tall White Men who shes afraid of cos at the end of our touch rugby training my coach who is quite stocky & brown come up to pat her and she did nathing didnt bak off or get scared and same thing happend at the beach with this brown guy, she did nathing compared to wat shes like wid white men...so im guessing shes afraid of all tall/white men since my flatmate is tall and white...

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Yes she could have a fear of tall white men she could even re-act to smell if your flat mate used a certain scent. Keep up the good work in time i'm sure she will be accepting of all people.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I was gonna offer to meet her but I'm stocky and brown too so it might not help!:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
u can still meet her Aus_Staffy..:D...Yea Mikado itl tak a while to get her use to people who remind her of my flatmate, but iv got all the in the world for her, and she always comes to touch training with me so in time she will click on that not all white men are scare..:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts