Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I noticed that Brutus was walking a little more stiffly than normal (he's 10.5) and that his groin area just didn't look quite right. I had him lay down and roll onto his back so I could take a look and was shocked to find a mass about the size of 2 tennis balls in his groin area. There is also some darkening of the skin on one side of the mass as well, and also his left hind leg is swollen and warm to the touch.

Brutus is our old timer and has been in my husband's life for about 8 months longer than I have and is his baby! I plan on getting him to the vet as soon as possible, however we just cannot afford the emergency vet at the moment as I am likely going to be losing my job soon and am starting evening classes next month for which tuition is due this week. Our regular vet is closed on Sundays (by the time I realized something was wrong on Saturday their office was closed).

I am so scared that this is cancer and the beginning of the end. Brutus has been in our lives for so long and has been through so much with us I cannot bear the thought of losing him! I mean, yeah, we knew it would happen eventually but I never imagined it would be this sudden.

Anyways, I just needed to get that off my chest. I will post updates after we get him checked out at the vet.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
:(:(I'm sorry girl! This is a horrible feeling I know! I hope it isn't! Please keep us posted and White Dog and I will hope for the best. :hug::hug:

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
OH no Carriana I'm so sorry to hear this. I really hope he will be ok. Marley and his sister Gretta are turning 10 this year and my mom just noticed Gretta had a big lump like that on her belly. We we both so scared for her. When my mom took her to the vet they did some tests and said that it's just a fatty mass and not a real tumor. He said that it is very common in older dogs but that it's not cancer and nothing to really worry about unless it keeps growing. I really hope that Brutus has something like that that is non life threatening.
(hugs) Keep your head up girl, I'll keep Brutus in my prayers.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Thats terrible!

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I am pretty freaked, I am probably going to take him in first thing in the morning...

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, he has been cultivating benign skin tumors for several years now. The largest of which we have had biopsied and is just a big benign growth, about the size of a marble on his shoulder. This one is in his groin/inner thigh and had to have just developed, or hemorraged in the last few days since he was fine no more than a week ago, running and playing and acting totally normal.

I really hope it is something that can be fixed considering all of the stress my husband and I have been under in the last few months, to have this added on top of it would really put a huge strain on both of us. Not just financially, but emotionally.

Plus tomorrow (Monday) is my birthday and that would be the worst thing ever to find out Brutus is dying on my birthday!

If any of you have seen Marley and Me....Brutus is that dog for us. He is part of the foundation of our family (since we don't have human children) and losing him is going to be devastating when it does happen.

Oh lordy I am getting all teary now...*sigh*

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Take it easy, C. Just find out exactly what's going on and take it from there.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hopefully it's not cancer. Perhaps it's a hemotoma and can be drained. My prayers are with you and sending positive thoughts your way.
That is what I am hoping for, he has a history of hematoma in his ears, I just wasn't sure if it could happen in other parts of the body.

Take it easy, C. Just find out exactly what's going on and take it from there.
Thanks Buz, I know....tomorrow morning just can't seem to come fast enough... :(

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
MY heart and paryers r with you. Our Foundation dog Miss Hannah is 11 almost 12 and so I know the unspoken fear you have. Good luck and like Buz said, just go to the next step.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE

So Brutus went to the vet this afternoon and got checked out. The vet isn't sure exactly what is going on, but based on a growth he has on his penis (or the furry sheath of it) she is leaning towards cancer. Will update when we get the biopsy results. She thinks the mass in his groin may be a swollen lymph node, maybe an infection. So for now, he is on some antibiotics and we are supposed to monitor the mass, if it goes down the antibiotics are working, and if not, well, perhaps exploratory surgery :(

She said he is still young enough to be able to handle the surgery, but that it is in a bad spot, his groin, where the incision would be slow to heal.

Praying at this point that the antibiotics work!

Brutus seems to be in fine spirits however, he is still eating, drinking and all the other bodily functions. He is not mopey or lethargic so that is a good sign I guess :)

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
your in my preyers i hope the anti biotics work!!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Good luck girl I hope all works out for the best your family is in our prayers and thoughts :) Good luck!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts