Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is why I am asking, my dogs are not aggressive towards dogs and certainly not towards people they are the cuddliest teddy-bears you can imagine ( although vet always muzzles big boy ( ERMI ) just in case, everyone loves him but is scared of him to a certain extent if they don't know him very well )

They have never started a fight, (they just stand there chest out tail up waiting !! but 9/10 they listen to us when they are told to back of ) although more than once have launched for other dogs that where acting aggressive towards them or us ( their owners ) they have tossed a couple of German shepherds around ( very common in Greece and most of them tend to be both people and dog aggressive ) etc.. that have just popped out of the blue bossing around very aggressively , but no real problems untimely now. will explain as we get along.

Lately since my wife has gotten pregnant the seem to be way over protective of her.( she hates bees and as soon as she sees one she screams, they appear out of nowhere right there next to her checking what's happening, we have a 2300 sgm garden so they are running around all day )

As we live in the countryside people have loads of dogs ( chained up most of the time, sad I know but true ) but when taken out for walks they get along with all of them, or should I say the other dogs get on with my dogs since my dogs will not submit to anyone of them )

A neighbour had got this new PITBULL or mix cant tell we didn't know about

Yesterday she took them out ( first walk after my female had given birth) she didn't know that there was a new dog, so they where of the leash she is always in front and the dogs following.

Just as the reached a badly put up fence that also houses a boxer mix that they love to run around and play with , the Dog kind of barked at my wife and then at my dog aggressively and my boy went crazy then my female joined in nearly pulling the fence down to get to the dog . They listened when she told them to back of, but this is the problem. they seem to have a grudge against the dog now and they are eyeing him up for lunch ! I'm not scared for my dogs specially for my boy, his paw can barely fit in the other dogs mouth:rofl:,
But Its just a bummer that now I have to be extra careful just in case that neighbour decides to let that thing loose one day and we happen to be walking them.

Anyone ever got scared for other peoples dog syndrome! even if your dogs are not aggressive.

OUR PUPPIES PITTMIXES I GUESS ! :)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
oh yeah daily. Every walk I take. Some of my neighbors suck and have their dogs illegally off leash. or the people who want to let their "friendly" dog drag its owner over to us. My boy has no tolerance for off leash dogs or aggressive dogs. Every time we are outside I am on alert. I even have a ninja cat that if we don't cross the street will charge us! lol always on the look out.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
I'm always on high alert. Even more so since my neighborhood doesn't have leash laws and we live out in the country, no one really bothers with fences and leashes. Dogs go where they please. My two are on a tie out or leashed when we are out because I have one who's DA towards other dogs except Cain. and if a dog gets in her reach she is on it. I keep an air soft gun in my pocket because I'm out by myself a lot during the day with them and the loose dogs travel in big packs. We can't walk our dogs in our little neighborhood due to the loose dogs around. We go to walking trails to walk and use the flirt pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Common Sense Expert
699 Posts
I think it's normal for owners with dogs under scrutiny to feel nervous or cautious when approaching other people or dogs. All it takes is one incident, our fault or not, and our dogs are gone. I use to have a DA HA dog that I would walk around and after she was put to sleep I realized I was still treating my other dog like my HA dog. We just have to remember that our dogs feed off of our emotions. So if it becomes overwhelming we as owners have to be responsible and work on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pitbulls may not start a fight, but they will definitely finish one. The rule is, "Never trust a pitbull not to fight!" The consequences are too great. I have a 92lb blue nose who is low energy, loves kids, people, and has a high tolerance for other dogs, and still I would never trust her not fight another dog in a dog park. I learned this the hard way when I trusted my dog too be chill, when all of a sudden a nasty fight broke out between her and a boxer when I wasn't looking. It took a few a seconds to run over there and try to break it up, and it took a couple of minutes to pry my dogs jaws off of the other dog's head. The owner was hysterical and I felt horrible. It took a few seconds, but in just a few seconds the other dog was badly hurt. It doesn't matter who started it or how it started, pitbulls are devastating fighters that can really hurt another person's dog in a matter of seconds. I am now always aware of my surroundings when I walk my dogs, and do whatever I can to minimize the chances for an altercation. If I see an obnoxious dog coming near, I make sure to leash up my dog quickly. Just one of the many responsibilities of owning a pitbull I guess.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I get scared for other people's "anyone". My pup broke leash not too long ago and chased after small toddlers. The moms were hysterical, the fathers fortunately knew she was all play. Regardless, the moms kicked my dog around to protect their kids from my bouncing, oversized puppy. My pup unfortunately is hard-headed but fortunately oblivious. They were yelling at me and I hated to say but I did, "Ma'am if my dog wanted to kill your boy we would be calling the coroner right now. Be thankful no one was hurt." I said this while my dog was pinned at the throat and yeah I was being really crass, but I was sick and tired of hearing the mom and kids screaming because all that did was aggravate the situation. The fathers thankfully agreed. All I could offer is my apologies for scaring them.

I drove home nearly crying because I knew one slip and my dog would've been taken from me.

I live this every second my dog is in public. If my dog actually knocked a kid over guess who'd get euthanized? No amount of training, Good Canine Citizen award, or therapy dog certification would save my pup from discrimination. Unfortunately this was my naive choice when I picked my dog. But that's it: I picked the dog, not the breed, and this is what we get for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts